View Single Post
      03-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #17
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2018 M550i, 2022 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherd31 View Post
A tip from a veteran of the Dragon/Skyway/Hell Bender, etc. and other assorted roads in that area.

I call myself a veteran because I've logged 40 trips down there. The first 34 trips on two wheels, the last 6 in my M4. I simply refuse to run that area Friday through Sunday. Only Monday through Thursdays. Weekends are busy with slower traffic on two wheels and in four wheelers and others at the other end of the speed spectrum. One other tidbit. Proper driving decorum for the area. If a vehicle is running quicker than you are and comes up behind you, at the earliest opportunity, pull over into one of the many turnouts and allow that vehicle to pass you and continue on their way.

So if your scheduling allows it, plan on being in that area Mon-Thurs. and not the weekend.
I can deffinetly see that it gets really busy during the weekends. I got very lucky. I am guessing it was a combination of things. It is just the begging of the season, so there were not a lot of cars or bikes and also I was on the road around 9am, so that probably helped out. I caught up to a few cars on one way (one guy moved over and the other cars were driving preatty quickly). One the way back through the Dragon, I did not catch up to any cars at all (felt like I had the whole road to myself). Also only saw a few cars pass me by on the opposite lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
Because of the many many slower turns I think the TOTD is much better on 2 wheels.
This road on a bike, is definitely a big win!!! I did enjoy the drive on the car, but it helped to be on a sports car.