View Single Post
      11-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #27
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I would not count on a dealer disclosing anything. I had an Audi A6 and was hit by a hit and run driver. $24K in damage include replacement of front suspension. Local dealer wouldn't certify, couldn't sell and sent it to auction. Dealer in Atlanta picked it up at auction and sold as CPO, even though I contacted them and gave them details of accident. Many cars dealers sell, including CPO, are picked up at auction. They don't know the details of accident histories in many cases, even if they wanted to disclose.
They may not know the details of the accident, but they will know if the car has been in an accident nonetheless. Most of it is looked up by VIN these days anyway so if there is a black mark on file it will show up somewhere.

Now whether they choose to disclose it or not is up to the dealer. Most reputable dealers will disclose it. If they didn't know the extent of the accident that's one thing, but they are still responsible to disclose the Carfax with the accident reported to the buyer. I'm not saying they will know all the details. More often not. Carfax, as we all know, is often very vague. It's disclosing that there was an accident reported is what I'm referring to.

Vehicles with suspension/significant frame damage, I wouldn't think would be eligible for CPO. Not saying it doesn't happen, and there are vehicles that are repaired without ever going on file with Carfax. As you said they probably picked it up at auction and had a vague report so figured it could be CPO'ed.

Every dealership I've ever bought from however, has fully disclosed any Carfax reports on a used car. Pretty standard these days.

Bottom line if you see things like "major accident impact/frame damage reported" "Hit a tree" etc. on a Carfax....it's pretty obvious it wasn't a minor accident. Minor accidents can be anything from a minor fender bender, to a respray from rock chips.

I wouldn't let a minor accident reported by all means completely turn me away from a car, but as a potential buyer you need to be aware that any accident reported is going to effect resale, regardless of how minor it is.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 11-22-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0