CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Sorry, old habits, I'm talking about power steering and said the power steering pump, which obviously was incorrect. I should have known better, I had EPS on my S2000 which I owned for 13 years, but our other BMWs all still have power steering pumps. It was not BS, it was using the wrong term.

Let me rephrase. In discussing this with my friend, on more than one occasion, he indicated that from what they saw at Performance Center West, the artificially induced steering effort of Sport and Sport+ places a strain on the EPS unit, causing it to overheat in high ambient temperature (100+ at Thermal) under track conditions. He has been an instructor at Thermal and works for BMW NA. He also has a dedicated track car and is a club racer. Some may know him from BMW forums as Southpaw. I highly value his opinions on anything BMW.

This is an exact quote of his reply to the e-mail that I sent him in March last year prior to my Euro Delivery when I asked him to clarify the M button settings used at both Performance Centers:

At several Experience events at Thermal, and at the 2-day M School in South Carolina, the instructors specifically warned us to leave the Servotronic setting on Comfort, and not to change it to Sport or Sport+ to prevent overheating of the EPS unit.

I'm just the messenger, I'm just sharing information that I was told by people who should know, and this is what I've been told on numerous occasions. Believe what you want. YMMV.
Thanks for the explanation, but it still does not add up to me. I just don't see how a power steering would add weight to the steering, it defeats the whole point of a power steering. If the steering was light enough without assists, why bother putting an assist system?

I interpret what your friend is saying that it makes the steering FEEL artificially heavy TO HIM. In my book, a heavier steering effort from a power steering system means less assist. From the F8X technical training doc (particularly highlighted section):
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0