View Single Post
      11-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
subtlestylez
Rep
Drives:

I'm not a mechanic or anything, so what do you mean by balance? I did some research and V6 engines have certain parts to keep the cylinder fire to balance, just like an I6. But I really still don't know what that means.

The way I see it, so many other manufacturers use V6 and they produce a lot of power. I'm not sure why BMW shouldn't use it either.

The I6 is such a smooth engine though in terms of power delivery (both N52 and N55/54).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It does seem a little silly. I know the core argument is that a V6 is not primarily balanced. However the E30 M3, arguably the purest form of M cars, has a non balanced engine. A V6 certainly allows better packaging and affords more beneficial rearward balance. A 60 degree V6 allows a lower center of gravity than even the canted BMW I6 and a 90 degree V6 which has been rumored would offer even more benefit.

Honestly, at a time when lots of folks cry that the M5 has a version of the X5M motor which is close to the regular 4.4L V8, and the 1M has the 335is motor, it seems like offering a bespoke M motor would be seen as a good thing, even if it isn't as classic as an I6.
Appreciate 0