05-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #47
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy

It's not that efficiency isn't a principal of ours, it's just not high on the list among M owners. I couldn't care less about efficiency if it sacrifices the experience.

My inefficient S65 puts a smile on my face and a feeling you can't quite describe outside of a few production engines in the world. Even starting it in the garage and listening the beautiful sounds before the EMS adjusted did it for me. My much more efficient N20, is an un-poetic, characterless, diesel sounding, vibrating little shit, and with all prior considered, still a powerful, responsive engine that even pushes a X3 along nicely along while getting 32-34 on a slow, low stop highway.

See the legitimate concern M folks have? The S54 to S65 was a much easier pill to swallow because the S65 retained familiar characteristics, high revving NA. No doubt it'll perform but you get to a point where fast is great but the experience and feeling behind the wheel is what matters.

Amazing how little faith people have in BMW on this forum. The company has built amazing 4 cylinder engines,6 cylinder engines ,8 cylinder engines, 10 cylinder engines ,and some decent 12 cylinder motors as well!

They announce a unique (in this case 3 cylinder 310 hp ) motor and rather than consider the amazing performance, the first thing you do is pronounce it a failure!

Your comparison of the s65 vs a base n20 is as ridiculous as comparing an s14 with a 1.6 liter diesel or an M20 eta motor. . You are comparing a thoroughbred and a workhorse. they aren't both going to run the same circuits.
Appreciate 0