View Single Post
      05-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #51
tuna_hp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Wouldn't put too much thoughts into what these people says, market will determine what they will make in the future.

BMW at one time said they will never make a M SUV. Not to mention they are watering down the M brand with a series "M performance" models.

M is just not what it used to be.
This is the correct answer.

It was only a few years ago that a top BMW engineer, and I don't even think he was from the sports-oriented M division, was interviewed in a major auto mag and said something like 'BMW doesn't believe in forced induction engines. Turbocharging means more torque but not much more power. Power matters more than torque in spirited driving and more torque means more weight: the driveshaft, transmission, brakes and more all have to be built heavier. More weight compromises the driving dynamics, which is not what BMW is about.'

A few years later and you can't even buy a naturally aspirated BMW. Not even that I'm against turbocharging, I'm just stating that BMW PR is coldly calculated and these are not driving enthusiasts who are speaking for the brand, these are hacks communicating a strategized and focus tested sales message.

When BMW was all naturally aspirated as their competitors were starting to release forced induction cars, forced induction was unacceptable.

When their competitors released performance-branded SUVs, BMW said that such a crime was unthinkable for a true sporting brand.

When BMWs weighed less than the competition, weight was why they drove so much better.

Does anyone else remember back a year or two when BMW was seriously considering a 90* V6 for the F80 and went as far to begin justifying the possible choice in a few press interviews? This, after all those years of touting the advantages of the straight 6? And again, I believe in the mechanical advantages of the I6, I'm just pointing out that you have to read between the lines with these kinds of PR exercises.
Appreciate 0