12-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
I don't agree. The 2011 Mustang was compared against the 2011 M3 on the track by one of the publications and it was an extremely close comparison.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

The 2015 Mustang will have an IRS, more than 420 hp (power numbers not yet announced), and will weigh significantly less than the outgoing model, just like the M3. I'd say it's a very good comparison.

Pat
The current Mustang can keep up with an M3, but the handling is not even close. Bear in mind that there's a LOT more to handling than skidpad numbers and lap times, I've driven every year of the fifth gen Mustang (2005-2013) and pretty much every engine they offer (3.7 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 V8, a couple of the earlier GT500s) and they all have basically the same handling characteristics; very lazy steering with almost no feel, very soft springs and dampers, tons of rubber in the suspension, etc. They're just sloppy cars, you can throw them into a corner and they will generate enough grip to go through very quickly but you don't feel the road at all and can't really tell how close you are to the limit. That live rear axle (which is gone now) isn't as bad as some say but it still has some very annoying characteristics, chief among them is the huge weight of the rear diff and axle hanging off of the suspension which means that even though the suspension is very soft, it still crashes and makes the body wobble when you hit a bump and hitting a bump mid-corner makes the whole car bounce. The earlier fifth gen GTs with the 4.6 were worse than the 5.0s, in the last few years Ford started offering the track pack and a couple other options that went a long way towards improving the way the Mustang drove. The 2013 GT Track Pack I drove was pretty good as long as the road was fairly smooth.

They're definitely not bad cars, I think the current 5.0 GT is one of the most fun cars you can get for the money and the motor is just epic but it has some serious handling issues. It looks like Ford is very serious with this new car, though. I can't wait to try it out.
Appreciate 0