View Single Post
      04-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower4life View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed but I was just thinking out of all the M3 models so far, none have had great low end torque. Or a solid torque band of any sort for that matter. You would think by now they would have made adjustments but am also wondering if it is on purpose. They have always been a smooth transmitting power base but no kick you in your pants low end. Anyone have any insight on this matter?
Naturally aspirated engines are generally limited in peak torque output by their displacement. And since no M3 to date has had forced induction or displacement greater than 4L, this explains the low peak torque value on paper.

A side note: If you search M3Post.com you will find many discussions on the topic of torque, some extremely informative. I suggest you have a look.

Quote:
I'm willing to bet this will no longer be an issue on the upcoming M3/4 seeing as it will likely have plenty of torque, but why so long when all the competition has been putting out better low end numbers for some time now and you constantly get people saying they love their 335s for the torque and so forth. So what gives??
First, be aware that an E9x M3 has higher wheel torque numbers than a stock E9x 335i except at some very low speeds in 1st and 2nd gear. Gearing is key here. As for people comparing the 335i vs. the M3, remember that what you feel when you drive a car is not necessarily indicative of how the car is performing.

That being said, if you look at the M3 power (note, not torque) curve vs. a 335i or other car noted for "good low end torque" one thing is immediately apparent: the M3 builds power right up until nearly redline, while most cars make peak power somewhere midway in their RPM range. This is why an M3 does not give the immediate impression of quickness - you must rev the car high in order to tap into its full 414hp potential. Shift at 3500 RPM, or even at 6000 RPM, and you may be disappointed. As a corollary, at low around-town speeds you need to hold gears (or downshift) to unleash the car's true potential.
Appreciate 0