View Single Post
      07-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #93
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
So one more thing I noticed on DCT when I was coaching. When I coach a new student on a track and they have DCT, I usually prefer to place it in auto or (D) mode so they can focus on the myriad other things that they need to develop. I find that students learning in an automated gearbox car have a faster learning curve than someone with a manual. So in one particular case at Spa we placed the student's M3 in D3 (most aggressive shifting mode). Now with this setting the car never wanted to shift unless it approached redline. It tended to pick lower gears in high rpm's and I think this program is more suitable to the S65 motor. On the S55 this makes the car behave very abruptly and not smooth...which is not good on a track going up eau rouge at triple digit speed. We switched to D2 shortly after and it seemed to be the correct setting conducive to learning while keeping the car very linear.

Good point about using S2 for a smooth DCT gearchange. I always used S2 on my F10 M5, because i felt S3 was too thumpy and violent, and actually upset the car for a nano second, but S2 was virtually as quick, but made for smoother and quicker progress.
Appreciate 0