07-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
JL M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Sound: I'm a bit spoiled by my 6.2L NA V8 and my 4.6L biturbo V8 (E550) right now. It is hard to beat the throaty roar of a V8 at 6,000+ rpm.

That said, I had a chance to really open the car up today and I was absolutely blown away by the exhaust sound of the M4. When you analyze the sound in isolation, it is really spectacular/special. It is loud, it is mechanical, and very fitting of an M car. To me, the sound represented the essence of the M3's/M4's character and history.

The overrun "pop" this car produces WILL scare small women and children. Backing off the pedal/engine braking in lower gears (e.g., 2nd or 3rd) also produces some wonderful crackles and burbles.

Accelerating on the highway, with the windows down, I could still hear both the engine and the exhaust. The induction noise was wonderful and it sounded like there was a chainsaw loose in the backseat (I mean this in a good way).

Relative to my previous F30 335i, the car has an angrier, more aggressive exhaust note. The exhaust note unquestionably sounds better than the one on my previous F30 335i w/ M Performance Exhaust.

I don't mind the Active Sound. Overall, both the engine noise and exhaust note fit the character of the car very well. I am sure that an aftermarket exhaust would improve the noise factor even more.

Does the M4's exhaust sound as manic/loud as the exhaust on my C63? Not quite, no. Was it as throaty/deep as the exhaust on the E550? Nope.

But, in no way does that mean that the car's exhaust sounds bad. Quite the contrary, I think that the M engineers nailed the sound. Considering that the car is equipped with a twin-turbocharged inline 6, both the motor and exhaust sound absolutely incredible.
Great summary of the sound. Glad someone feels the same way I do (and many others who have heard it in person do).

I mentioned this in another thread that got deleted - I had the chance to spend a week in Europe with 21 other M3/M4s. During the trip, I had the chance to hear the car (22 of them) in almost every imaginable situation - indoors, outdoors, city cruising, autobahn passes at 140mph, countless tunnels, at Spa, at Nurburgring, on deserted German country roads, etc.

I was blown away by the sound. Absolutely loved it. And I wasn't alone on the trip. We had numerous discussions about how good the car sounded.

For those that haven't heard it in person on the road, please don't make any judgments from videos or standstill revs. Sounds horrible IMO in both cases. Some still won't like it - understandable given that sound preference is exactly that, a personal preference - but please don't judge until you've spent some time with the car.
Appreciate 0