05-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #17
kueks29
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
I don't care for the name change anymore; I care about the heart and with all the debate for a V6, this post by known insider Kueks brings some solace to my mind (if it is indeed true). There are times when heritage and tradition impede development and when it matters. This is the case where maintaining the I6/R6 development is of the utmost for BMW and for us who have stayed true to them for years.
The problem is the BMW M3!

Name:
Previously, the M3 is the sporting flagship of the series. But that was due mainly to the coupe and the convertible a little. The sedan has always been the unloved stepchild.
Since parts of the series can be upgraded and 4 may be called, it is difficult even with the M3 ...

Of course, the term M3 its own brand and you should leave this alone and unloved valuable brand sedan, because actually need Coupe, Convertible Coupe and Grand then called M4. But who knows M4?

But as has been worked heavily on the body structure, the M3 also gets its own series designation. So not like the F30 series, but he will be called F80. And here's the back door of BMW's open:
So it would be possible to call the normal models (Coupe, Convertible, Coupe Grand) 4, set in the M-models, but to further the myth M3. would exitieren alongside the M3 sedan and M3 convertible and the M3 coupe.

Engine
Here BMW has the biggest problem! The M5 V10 has no more, but must make do with 8 cylinders.
At 1st there will be a 1M and will certainly have no 4-cylinder, as even the M135i has a I6. So here again is also provided a modified I6 from the M135i is serving.
Only one of the customers it will not teach you that the 1 and 3 have the same engine ... So, the M3 have something completely different!
I6 Although the tradition, but also the V-engine was not bad, as seen in the M5!

In this respect, one could sell the V-engines in the future as a special feature in the classical M-models, which has the 1M only a modified production engine, the customers get over the price!