07-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #131
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I can post a video of my M6 accelerating from 50mph, not much lag in that at all
So why don't you plot E92 vs F80 torque curves, and show me where E92 is better even allowing for a momentary lag in boost on F80. What you'll conclude is that you're choosing to ignore a heathy torque increase across the entire rev range due to a blink of an eye 'lag' period.
Your obvious misunderstanding of lag continues, lag is a DYNAMIC concept which has very little to nothing to do with a dyno gathered torque curve and almost for sure can not be "observed" in your M6 video. In addition, I care about an engines peak hp much more than it's torque curve. Yes a broad flat torque curve is desirable but so is a high redline a lack of drastically falling torque approaching redline.

Quote:
As for the new M3/M4, BMW have stuck with a fairly large displacement to achieve circa 450hp. This equals Low boost....the lower the boost the lower the lag. It would have been more ballsy to have gone for a 2.2litre 4 pot squeezed to get the same power. Similar to what Mercedes did in the AMG A45.
We do not yet know the new engines displacement, but if you call 3.0-3.3 liters large, OK. The latter idea sounds great, go with a design to assuredly have more lag, which BMW, like many F1 teams, are going to great lengths to reduce or eliminate.

Quote:
Whilst on AMG A45 here is what Auto Express wrote about power delivery from the little 2 litre 4 pot "there’s hardly any delay between pushing the throttle and feeling the thrust". I know a bit difficult for a turbo hater to digest but there you go
Wait, I thought journalists know nothing about cars. OK, as long as they help promote your position they can be quoted and have a valid point, but when they have a contrasting opinion they then "know nothing".

Ugh.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 07-03-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0