07-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #136
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sure. And my point is that such revisions, if rumors can be trusted, are exactly what is in store. So, nothing to worry about at this point.

But if we are honest, the same applies to the N54 too, though.

That is to say that, neither an N54 nor N55 in any current form has any place in an M3. The slightly tweaked N54 was OK for the short-run, entry level 1M designed to slot in below the 400hp+ M3, but it would never go over well in an actual M3/M4.

In other words, we shouldn't really be concerned with which engine is forming the basis of the M motor because, no matter what they choose, it will more assuredly behave nothing like its series counterpart. If you take an engine, strengthen the block, and replace the cylinder head and induction system, what really are you keeping? Just the basic architecture, i.e. bore center, deck height, and perhaps select parts such as from the timing assembly etc. Whether you start with an N54 or an N55, you are going to end up with something very similar in the end. If we were to scrutinize an N54 and N55 shortblock, which one comes up the winner? Probably neither as it is just a block, crank, pistons etc. And the latter two will probably be swapped for stronger parts for the M motor anyway.
Following the pattern, there was the N63, the S63, The S63Tü, and the N63Tü. M had made changes that impacted the base engine and their R&D was used throughout the lineup. M is searching for power and efficiency any way they can- and maybe they have designed something new that will be used in the successor or "Tü" of the N55 or they are working with certain new technologies that are rumored to be appearing this Fall in Paris.

As some have said for sometime- if the N55 is the basis, it is in the rudimentary form of cylinder design and portions of the block- the rest will be revamped; even the M135i has a different crank than the base N55 and that is only 20ish hp more. Alpina is working with the N55 currently in F3X prototypes and said that over 400hp is the target- they have some serious cooling they use in the B7 so I can only imagine what the N55 cooling will need.

The exhaust is puzzling still as the location looks final but the sound from the videos just doesn't sound final

This car is a game changer for M on many levels- they will not disappoint, remember when the V8 was going to kill the M3?