Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Believe you do not want the TPMS!I have 3 sets of wheels & tires for the M4 and with the FTM you do not need to bother with having sensors in every wheel and making sure they communicate with the car every time you do a tire swap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
The TPMS may be a better system but is not exactly a "modest" cost. A set of 4 sensors is US$325 at getbmwparts. As mentioned, this can add up if you have multiple sets of wheels. I'm assuming this is why BMW does not use the TPMS system in Canada. They don't have to.
Yeah, both fair points. Never had to live with the reality of TPMS and I've seen the Canadian tire industry make points like the foregoing above too so I certainly accept there is validity to those points.

In response, though, I would tend to think:
- on an 80k+ car, the cost of the TPMS isn't too bad for a second set of tires.
- agree that making sure they all communicated would be a PITA - but I am lazy and usually get the dealer or a tire shop to do the swap anyway (I was gonna buy a good jack and torque wrench and do my own with this car....but I got busy, it got nice and, wouldn't you know it, today Lucy is at the dealership and they are doing he work for me....). Dealerships can make sure they work as, I expect, can any reputable tire shop.

I would also note that when mandatory TPMS was first brought into the USA in 2007 many of the above points were raised. Since that time...I don't hear much complaining about it there - seems to be working out. And the benefit of convenience in being able to read pressure on the iDrive screen would be nice. I hate checking the pressure in the winter and have been known to get lazy on doing so.....

(final point: to a limited extent the indirect TPMS is required up here; RFTs essentially require it because, without some TPMS, the driver would have no idea until the tire was truly dead)