View Single Post
      11-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
As a senior BMW manager explained: "It's a great piece of kit." "But we came to the conclusion that it is the wrong car for these fast moving times."
Translation:

By the time this car came to market, it would be outdated in terms of where BMW is looking to go with the brand's electrified vehicle lineup. Reading further between the lines, it suggests to me that BMW is building some sort of high performance hybrid sports car using a combustion engine with, at most, 6 cylinders (an I6). This could be the next i8 or it could be another new model. So, its unfortunate that the McLaren mashup won't happen, but its not all bad news.

On another note - maybe BMW will still yet make use of the McLaren V8, perhaps with their own cylinder heads that the article mentions they have developed. As I said in another post recently, the N63 is long in the tooth (though still competitive for now), and borrowing the McLaren engine would give them a modern V8 architecture to ride out until V8s themselves disappear (as much as couple decades from now).
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00