View Single Post
      11-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #140
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
I wouldn't call it shady or a scam. You have to understand the process and lability involved first.

For instance, individual paint is pulled off the assembly line and painted by human, not a robot like the standard production colors. Therefore there is more time and labor involved.

With this in mind, not all BMW M's individual paints are the same because the work shifts change and so do the employees which result into an even more "individual" paint application.

Now add that to the probability of the individual paint being defective, applied incorrectly or sparsely and needing a respray (the latter being the case for me).

That can easily add up to thousands of dollars in additional cost. I think BMW pad's the cost (a lot) to allow for defects/errors in the paint to be corrected without affecting the bottomline.

*Side Note: BMW sent their paint director from Germany to meet with me about my individual M. He confirmed that there was a lack of paint on my vehicle and offered to build me another M with the proper paint. A few months later a new M3 arrived at the dealer and they just exchanged the M with defective paint for an exact build with perfect paint + Comp Pack. Couldn't be any happier!

/// M3
Appreciate 0