View Single Post
      04-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #167
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
So which car does not have "too much wheelspin" and is ideal for tracking? E46 M3 CSL? Sure, but it would have been even quicker around the Ring with a more powerful engine...

If the F82 M4 is more than 10 seconds faster around the Nürburgring, BMW surely must have done something correct?

If you are worried about wheelspin just leave the traction control on, and the electronics will take care of you being able to get as much power as possible to the ground. If not you have to rely on the driver being able to balance throttle input...

A engine that has a on/off torque delivery will be hard to drive fast around a track, kind of like my old Sierra RS Cosworth that it is tricky to modulate the power on

However a engine that has enough power/torque to break traction in low speed corners will also be able to pull more straight line speed compared to a engine that is barely able to break traction in the same low speed corner. In one car you can just mash the throttle through the corner and not worry about wheelspin. In the other car you will have to modulate the throttle and ease in on the accelerator. Both cars will have no problem doing the same corner speed, but the more powerful car will pull away on every straight as it has more accelerative power...

The above is possible with a good driver. Put a bad driver behind the wheel of the powerful car, turn TC off, and you have a tricky situation

Usually, turning power down doesn't result in quicker lap times
Thanks for this really good explanation !!!

To make my statememt from above right, I must say that I am speaking from car with nearly the same hp-output (in the same hp-class) to make apples-to-apples ... I think in this case the car with less wheel spin issues would be faster - in the corner and as fast as in straight line.

In my opinion more low-end-torque or more torque makes automatically no car faster on the track ... if this would be the case all US-Muscle-Car would be unbeatable in trackuse.
Appreciate 0