View Single Post
      05-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #111
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

As far as the X3M goes, I'm not sure if there's a market for it. That's probably the reason why Mercedes never shoehorned the 5.5L BiTurbo or 6.3L into the GLK class (which would have been a poppin SUV). I can see BMW building a test mule and eventually scrapping the project due to the inability to build a business case for it.

Engine wise... A Turbo S65 makes no sense because BMW already has a similar engine in the S63. Why redevelop a whole new engine?

As far as shoehorning the S63, it's ironic that it says it won't fit into the X3. That means the F3x must be HUGE lol. I can't see this as being an option because that brings it dangerously close to the M5. Wouldn't this also throw off weight balance?

I actually see 2 and 4 as the most realistic options.

It makes sense that they would chop 2 cylinders off the S63 engine to make the new engine. Would the two less cylinders affect the Cylinder-Bank Comprehensive Manifold? I think it would because from what I understand the CCM connects the cylinders in opposing pairs. With only 3 pairs, that's not possible. CCM is one of the things that gives the S63 its lack of turbo-lag. I'm no engineer but thats just how I understood it.

Which leaves the N55 / N54... Personally I think this is what will end up happening. However, i think it will be heavily modified and have completely different characteristics.

Whatever BMW comes up with I trust will create a bangin' car that will have all the characteristics that we love. The total package is going to be great. I have faith.
Appreciate 0