11-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #54
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I don't want or expect to change anyone's mind but some of the info posted in these threads is simply erroneous. What these threads sometimes reveal is that not only are there those who don't understand MT driving techniques there are also those who don't appear to understand the operation of a modern AT or DCT.

The ZF 8 Speed and the DCT are as far removed (and probably farther removed) from the two speed GM Powergilde and Ford Fordomatic dual range ATs of 50 years ago as a modern fully syncromesh, hill holding, auto rev matching MT is from the three on the tree with no synchomesh in 1st MTs of the same era.
Actually, I would probably prefer a 2 speed powerglide

Here is what I HATE about automatics, especially in high torque cars like the M3 - they have a tendency to change down when they don't need to. Sometimes on a highway you just want to squeeze the throttle and use the torque to gradually gain speed - but many autos once you squeeze slightly too much, they chop down a gear or two, and I hate that. 6MT, I can guarantee it won't change down no matter how much throttle I apply...

And when I test drove the M4 with DCT, it did the same thing. In 7th I applied a little (maybe 10% gas) and it changed down when I felt it didn't need to. I hate that with a passion. First world problems I know.

Yes - I could drive in manual and the DCT wouldn't do that. But if I'm going to drive in manual 100% of the time, I'm going to drive in *real* manual 100% of the time, and get a manual gearbox.

Maybe just maybe the DCT would "learn" my driving over time, but I doubt it. To me, unless I give it 50% or more throttle, don't change down. Just pull away. If only they would, I might consider a DCT. But as they are now, they "behave the same as an auto" in the one area I hate the most about autos...
Appreciate 2