View Single Post
      05-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Very true, all of those points are exactly why M cars have been so sought after and better than the competition. However, M cars of the past were all those things and at the same time possessed the one trait which is what we enthusiast really wish for: they were EXCITING. They make you feel alive and made you truly enjoy the experience of DRIVING just to drive.

It's questionable if the M cars of today including the new M4 have lost sight of that. The driving experience/excitement factor is arguably one of the last reasons to buy a M car now. Though I agree that being "lighter, better handling, better fuel economy car with a more refined interior and better torque" are still plenty of reasons to buy a M4. Just different strokes for different folks I suppose.
I agree that it's questionable whether driving experience/excitement is a primary factor for you. I'm probably BMW's target audience for this new M3/4. I think much of the BMW line up is now targeted at average consumers vice purists, and that's me, an average consumer. I've always lusted after an M3 but never owned one; never even driven one. I'm buying mine without a test drive. I've been a turbo enthusiast my whole driving life and I don't mind muted exhaust notes. In fact I love them. What matters to me when I spend money is to get the most bang for the buck; the best of all possible worlds. That is torque on tap from an engine that won't penalize me with 15mpg every time I move the car. I want comfort, versatility, dare I say "practicality" if such a thing exists in the $60k+ realm. I just don't know who is doing that better this year than BMW. Those are all my important factors though and yes, "different strokes", "to each his/her own", etc.
Appreciate 0