02-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #84
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am not convinced that the technology presented in the video can be fully replicated with xenon projectors. My understanding is that a LED projector headlight is composed of multiple arrays of LEDs that each have their own reflector lens. By turning on and off these arrays of LED in different combinations you can project different light patterns. This is simply not possible with a xenon projector. This later feature combined with pivoting up/down/left/right of the four individual LED projectors is what allows the light patterns to be precisely controlled.
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884103

See post #17 of that thread (...and start reading from post #11 onward; we have the capability with the xenons). The video posted is of a coded car in Seattle. You can see how active the Xenon bulb is and how it dynamically readjusts the light pattern.

Here's a quote from one of the guys who coded their cars.....

Quote:
Going above 25 MPH would enable HBA. Unlike what i stated previously about the HBA being "dumb" by only turning on/off both high beams at slow speed, my observations tonight showed that as long as the HBA is engaged, it's a "smart" system. Based on the camera, the HBA determines when and how to adjust the headlights. On several occasions tonight on a 2-lane road, the HBA would turn off the left high beam while leaving the right high beam on when it detected vehicles approaching from the opposite direction. So this ability to individually control high beams works at slow speed as well as at highway speed.
and here is another about the 'tunneling' feature that you're referring to with the LED's. It is, in fact, part of the xenon assembly as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Yes, you have the hardware, but you haven't seen tunneling because it is disabled. You need to remove these and code car:

S5APA Decodierung blendfr. Fernlicht Assistent Decode antiglare High-beam Assistant
S8S4A Decodierung variable Lichtverteilung Decoding variable light distribution

...and another

Quote:
Originally Posted by orma View Post
So...the adaptive lights work great. At first I didn't think I had properly enabled them but once I got up to around 45mph, I could clearly see them make "tunnels" around other cars so as not to blind drivers, and turn off high beams on one side or the other, depending on the situation.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 02-10-2014 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0