Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

@chowbow @Reid @GBPackerfan1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrill View Post
Great photos and awesome experience. Thank you for sharing.
For those of you who are thinking about doing this..
1- if your brand new M car breaks down while in Germany, BMW will check your car to see if you went over 5500 rpm or did something stupid. If you did, they may very well void factory warrantee and you will be responsible for your own repairs.
BMW AG might void your warranty... but BMW AG have no power over BMW NA. Its my understanding that the warranty's are separate - just like the companies are.

I've seen guys on Bimmerpost who are in the military and have mod'd their car's with a tune... while over here they try to get warranty work done... BMW AG will void their warranty. The dealer doesn't even know whats happening as the "mother computer" reads and reports the offending car's vin. Then its game over in Germany.

But when the car gets to the states... the warranty there still is fully covered. Not sure why this is, but I've read more than a few posts telling of this scenario.

Quote:
2- as you are NOT supposed to rev above 5500 rpm until your car hits 750 miles, driving on Nurburgring will not be much fun and too risky.
BMW says... not to exceed 170 kph or 5K rpms for the first 2K kms. But you can rev past 5K... BMW just says that it should be avoided. No full throttle starts or high engine loads. After that 2K kms... they say to gradually rev the engine higher and higher, until the 5k km mark. After that, you can drive will "full power" when you like.

Obviously some ED guys do not adhere to this "guideline" from BMW.

And btw... the car's launch control feature will not work until the first service has been done - by a BMW dealer/Zentrum(at 2K kms).

Quote:
3- if you cause an accident while participating in track days in Europe or while driving on Nurburgring, and or if someone bumps into you, your euro insurance will be voided and you will have to deal with the mess on your own.

Not sure about this. Nurburgring is a public "toll" road so the insurance from the ED plates should be ok. I think BMW AG knows a lot of their customer's take their new cars to the 'Ring.

Quote:
4- there are spies ( not kidding ) from all major car rental companies to catch you driving on Nurburgring and if caught by photographs, you will face so much hell, you will wish that you were man enough to pay 1000 bucks to drive one of those properly prepared swifts/ rental race car for few laps instead.
I may get shit for posting this but know what you may have to face if something goes wrong.
Yes, this is true. The spies are from the major rental companies(Sixt, Europcar, Avis, Budget, Herz, etc)... IF they see you have taken their rental car onto the 'Ring... you will be fined and banned from ALL rental companies over here. The spies work together for ALL the rental companies.

But every once in a while, you do see a rental car on the 'Ring...

Name:  SIXT Z4 rental car....jpg
Views: 715
Size:  44.3 KB

I've heard that Sixt is going to get some 'Ring-rentals for the next season. This is the First prototype for there Z4 ring-rental program. I hope this is really true. ?

Best thing is to rent a real race car from these RSR guys... They even have a new Castle tour with classic cars or sports cars. You can even rent a M car for this!

http://rsrnurburg.com/road-tours/cla...d-castles-tour

Dackel
Appreciate 0