United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa121 View Post
Lot of opinions that say the engine makes an M car.
I think history shows that the chassis is the driving component behind an M car. It is the reason you cannot make an M3 from a 335i by adding boost. That debate has been exhausted thoroughly on this site and one conclusion always remains, the "series" car will never handle as well.
Even see that most M3 engines (exception s65) were hopped up versions of the "series" engines, but it was the chassis that defined the car.

If the engine MADE the M car, why is the 1M sought after and reviewed so glowingly? Remember, they did not even pretend that is was an "M" engine, and when people drove it, that did not matter. It was the chassis, LSD, appearance, power combination.

In conclusion, yes, the S65 should be regarded as one of the best production engines, it was magnificent, but to disgrace the new M3 M4 cars as a whole based on the engine character/sound only is a fallacy.
I'm happy someone else gets it.
A great combination doesn't work if one of the components fails. The M4 chassis from the reports is fantastic. The problem is that the other areas which combine to make the M combination such as the engine, sound, and steering are getting mixed reviews.
Appreciate 0