10-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #174
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
In a perfect world I would like to have every kind of option; powerful NA cars, torquey turbo cars and even efficient diesels. There is a reason for all of them. But there is also a reason why BMW is dropping its trademark as you put it because BMW and M thinks that real good M cars are about the chassis not about the engine. Engines follow the global patterns, trends in economy, in politics, in everything and they change because of that. I am not saying and will never say that turbo is superior to NA, or N54 superior to S65, never. Facts are facts and people need to just get used to certain facts better before than after.
There is just a change in emphasis, BMW M traditionally focused strongly on both engine and chassis - the complete package. They have now decided for the future, being driven almost entirely by cost, that less special engines along with lighter weight can deliver their goal. It's not a terrible curse and as I've stated many times prior the car will very likely be a class leader. If the Mustang Boss 302 (or perhaps its successor) had a nicer interior I'd probably not even consider another M3. It's bang for the buck is decreasing relative to competitors.

Quote:
Not many people seem to understand that the competition is catching up on BMW because of the chassis, weight, size and feel not because they all have better engines now.
I would say different competitors are each catching up in different ways.

Quote:
Your arguements are well educated but you keep on taking the official numbers about the two cars which cloud your results. The delta between 1M and M3 in hp is much smaller than it looks on factory provided papers and the torque delta is even bigger, combine this with less weight you have extremely close performing cars, not one dominating the other. But this is the least of my points anyway.
I readily admit that the 1M makes probably at least 360 hp. I am all for non official numbers when they are not valid. That is still over 50 hp less and you can call this "not much" all you like - it's a lot.

Again, the cars perform closely because they have very close power to weight ratio, period.

BMW simply can not distract me from the importance of power with huge torque numbers. Anyone who claims to care about pure performance should also not be distracted.

Quote:
And a small point 1M has a N54T engine not an N55.
Thanks, I think I have made this mistake before.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0