01-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
Now that the new F80/F82/F82 S55 have been out for a few years, I am wondering what owners out there are performing an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs?

I bring this up because I had a E92 08 335I with the N54 twin turbo before my F80 M3 and had rod bearing issues starting at 74,000 miles (spun bearing on cylinders 5 and 6). I performed oil changes every 7,500 with BMW store brought oil. Back then BMW recommended oil changes every 15,000 so I halved it this the 7,500 and this had issues. The car was a daily driver and never tracked.

Also I know that the previous E92 M's with the S65 engine had issues with rod bearing primarily due to the tight tolerances and the use of 10w-60 oil.

It would be nice if we can start a thread with owners posting that oil analysis report... I just sent mine in, 27,500 miles (oil changes roughly every 5k miles) delivery date Aug 2014.

Thoughts?
I'd personally love a thread that contained a bunch of UOA..

I've seen only two UOA of the new twin power oil, one of the 0w30 and one of the 5w30. What I can tell you from those two (you'd have to search they are on here somewhere.. ) is that the TBN for both were good for 5k drain intervals. I'd choose the 5w30 over the 0w30 because from what I recall, the 0w30 viscosity was near a 20w after 5k miles, whereas the 5w30 seemed like thicker 30w oil even after 5k miles. Judging from these two results, I ended up buying 7 liters from ecs tuning of the 0w40 twin power turbo. I'll likely do a UOA of that, but not for awhile since I drive 4k per year. .. Mostly want to see the TBN and viscosity levels to be honest.
Only problem is the sample size is so small that these results are basically just for some data, and nothing else.

I was never a fan of the old BMW 5w30 pre-twinpowerturbo formulation, I'd much rather go GC 0w30 or M1 0w40. However, with the new twin power turbo oil being GTL (Gas to liquid)and having a lower NOACK, I choose to stick with it in hopes it'll keep my intake valves cleaner.

YMMV..

Appreciate 0