CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Track has such little difference in steering feedback that it is absurd to mention it to explain the huge gulf in steering feel the reviewers claim between the GTS and the M2 and M4. The second someone puts spacers or different wheels on either car there is a greater difference in front track than the hub carrier. You do not see people making threads saying "I put spacers on my car and lost all steering feel!" The same goes for KW coilovers - nobody says, "I just put Clubsports on my car and now I lost road texture feel!"

The entire point of my posting is to show how hyperbolic reviewers are being with proclamations like the M4 GTS has the worst steering feel ever, while they say the M2 has the best steering feel of any current M car. A few mm in track width is not going to cause such a wide gulf in reviews. It is absolutely nothing compared to an entirely different power steering map that literally changes the required steering angle and weight on the car to achieve a certain corner radius.

Of course, all of this could be confirmed if you guys with base M4s simply tried the coding change I suggested and switched your power steering map to that of the M2/GTS. You will notice a difference; I have done it for several local cars and it's immediately noticeable. If you have such a sensitive butt that you can detect a few mm difference in track width, this will be like hitting you over the head with a sledgehammer.
Track width in itself has little incidence on steering feel and feedback. However changes in wheel offset that alter the scrub radius and/or Ackerman angle can have a noticeable impact on steering feel and feedback. I am one that does not like the effect of spacers on the front axle. I tried 12mm spacers on my E92 and hated how it killed steering feel. The reason you don't see many complaining about this is that the majority of drivers are not sensitive enough to notice the difference. Further, from the alignment sheets I have seen posted on the forum, it seems the GTS has more caster than the base M3/4. This also has an impact on steering feedback. Steering feel is born in the geometry of the front suspension, not in the EPS programming. The programming can be made to filter less and transmit more, but it cannot be made to create feel and feedback that is not there to start with. Maybe we can get Racer20 to provide more insight.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-22-2017 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
gmd2003351.50
VCP1390.00