View Single Post
      10-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #458
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

SORRY, but if the engine specs in this thread are correct ... and I think they would be, than that would be very bad news - engine wise ... torque increase but no hp-increase means that it only counts to make the engine as cheap as possible
An torque increase is an easy thing in the case of an turbo engine, but if they really cancel the planed/promised power increase to at least ~450hp that means that there is simple no more growth potential in the chosen N55 based I6 ... if there would be this potential I am to 100% shure the engine would have no less than 450hp !!!

Since my infos say clearly that the new S55(?) would be nearly in the same weight class of the S65 ... which the better end for the V8(!) ... it make for me no really sence to drop the great S65 for the S55(?) - performence wise not cost wise(!) ... I am 100% certain that with the better packing and even lighter N/A V8 in the overall F8x would perform even better and would be much moreo fun to drive (with an only slightly worse mpg number!) ... M3s were never high low-end-torque cars but yet in als cases better than all competitors ... they were real race cars in an coupe/sedan outfit never torque monsters !!!

Looks as if the BMW AG prepared from pure profit reasons to sacrifice almost everything that has identified a previously M3 ... the new M3 is from the motor point of something completely different than we are used to - more boring surfing on the torque wave as spontaneous biting revving -> more 335i than just a real M3 driver and fan can be right.

The rest of the car seems to be as great as expected ... agressive sporty styling and much lower weight ... seems as I should look if I can get an nearly new S65 from ebay and go to Manhart to get the real exciting new M3.

Greets Uli_HH

Last edited by Uli_HH; 10-04-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0