03-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
It could be possible I I think it will be too costly. If the engines will be different, I however think they will be based on the same one, like X5 M vs. M5. I know the 3.3l I6 is not easy to understand, because if it is true the engine is not based on N55. Could it be they decided to base this engine on the V8 but make an I6, cut the engine in two longitudinally in two, get an I4, add two cylinders and get an I6, but in this way we already know for sure what engine the M2 is getting.
+1 this is the only reasonable way, why an "complete new" could have exact this 3.3ltr. displacement, but there are two really great disadvantages to do so ... first, this engine would be clearly more costly than the V6 alternative based on the same S63Tü ... an second, this new engineblock would clearly substantially bigger than an N55 block (3cm longer and 1cm wider!?) and nearly as double as long as an V6 with the same displacement ... why the M-GmbH should do this ... greater packaging problems and costs for nearly the same hp/Nm-Output = very unlikely... with the M2-engine you could be right ... this 2.2ltr.I4 makes much sence irrespective of the type of the chosen M3/M4 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
The X3 M will not come until the will be an X4 M. Nor will there be any Z4 M this generation. So the M3 will still get a new engine, and it will not be made from parts of the bin as there are going to be no more, if to think about N54 and S65. IMO there can be only two ways: 3.0-3.2l I6 based on N55 or 3.3l V6 based on S63. (...)
Some insider said the M3 would get I6 and the M4 V6, but also this is hardly believable (...)
Yes, I think one of this two alternatives would come ... but eventually the confusion and rumors comes from an consideration from BMW/the M-GmbH, that it would be clever to debut the new "innovative" engine together with the M4 and give the M3 an existing (modified) engine until the M4 comes to the market ... here are only two alternatives that could be plausible ... an stronger modified N54/N55 (like Alpina B3) or an modified S65 ... both with around (430-)440hp - above the existing E9x M3 and below the new engine (~460-480hp). Some rumors quoted exactly this 440hp for the new M3(!?).
This stratgy would allow BMW to bring the M3 earlier into the market ... and hold back the new engine for the premier of the complete new M4 ... secondly an M3 with such an engine would be hold well below the F10 M5 until this car could get an "Performence Package" in 09/2013 to preserve the performence gap between new M3/M4 and M5/M6.
BMW is well known for doing so in its AG-range (528i with N53, etc,!)

Is is nothing but pure speculation ... in in my opinion it could make sense and explain some of the confusing rumors.

Greets Uli_HH

Last edited by Uli_HH; 03-20-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0