05-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #109
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
Interesting. When one thinks about it logically, in all likelihood, the new M3 performance gains will probably be more incremental.
Seems pretty unlikely we'll see a quantum leap in performance, but ultimately, we'll see what happens!
Those are somewhat imprecise terms. The peformance of the call over the existing model will be substantial due to its weight being about the same or a bit less with a lot more power. Have a look here are my "ancient" predictions of the cars performance. Link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
Anyone who has driven the E60 M5 SMG will say that the gearbox and not the engine was the issue. Put the new DCT in the old M5 and the results performance wise would be pretty close.
A DCT is good for an amazing amount of "equivalent power". Probably at least 50 or so hp. The equivalent power simply comes from nearly instant shifts (not from any ratio magic or lower losses, etc.). Thus the race of an E60 M5 with M-DCT compared to an F10 M5 with a manual transmission could indeed be a close race. However, DCT vs. DCT would still have the F10 as the hands down winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I admit I have become a little perplexed on some of the comments here , which are by supposed "enthusiasts."

BMW M is not really one to make their cars aggressive they are more understated. The Aerodynamics of the M-Packet are purely sculpted for function over cosmetic purpose.
I firmly disagree with this. More marketing mumbo jumbo...

Just like the highly functional side vents on the E9X M3. Just like the highly aerodynamic rear bumper cover styling on the E9X M3. Just like the Powerdome (or whatever BMW like to call it) on the E9X M3. There is plenty of function over form at BMW and that is good, however, there is plenty of form over function and when it comes specifically to body styling form rules over function.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 05-08-2012 at 01:03 AM..
Appreciate 0