clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Decent post, but a couple things:
  • The engines BMW has developed in the last ten years offer much, much more power and efficiency than they used to. Heck, the 328 does 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. Bespoke engine development is hideously expensive. BMW only did it because they couldn't get what they needed from the standard engine lineup. Now they can. Why go custom?
  • The R8 starts at $118,000. It's a great car for sure, but it really is a different thing than an M3. It's even a couple years of college tuition more expensive than an M5. I'm not sure the comparison makes sense.
Firstly, BMW currently does not have any engine in the family that can be installed into an M3 that won't make the car loose its credential. It's not just about power and efficiency. It's also the way the power is delivered. Granted, the sound department is gonna take a hit no matter what they do due to FI. Take the S63TU in the F10 M5 for example. While it's a cracking and mighty engine, it would not be a good fit for the M3 due to the lag. If their I6 is something similar but in inline layout and fewer cylinders, then i would be very disappointed. If they give me a tri-turbo to eliminate the lag, i will give it to them. If it's a case of the usual twin turbo, then it's a let-down.

Pricing wise, i suppose it's country specific. Over here in Singapore, the V8 R8 is priced between the M3 and M5, making it a viable option for me.
Appreciate 0