R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
Vlad_T
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

F80 radiator fan acting up

Hey everyone, so my radiator fan is acting up.. I already replaced the fan relay, coolant temp sensor and the thermostat. It's not the fan because I plugged up a good running one to check and it still does the same thing. Sometimes when I just start the car, the fan just starts going crazy. It spins fast and then slow and keeps going on and off and then randomly stays off. Anyone have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 01:36 PM   #2
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_T View Post
Hey everyone, so my radiator fan is acting up.. I already replaced the fan relay, coolant temp sensor and the thermostat. It's not the fan because I plugged up a good running one to check and it still does the same thing. Sometimes when I just start the car, the fan just starts going crazy. It spins fast and then slow and keeps going on and off and then randomly stays off. Anyone have this issue?
Since I don’t have access to ISTA or a scan tool right now I can only speak general troubleshooting techniques for something like this.

First stop throwing parts at it. That way you don’t potentially introduce more issues than what you were trying to fix in the first place. But since you replaced them don’t assume that the parts are good or not damaged from improper installation or bad wiring and connectors.

Check the input from the coolant temp sensor with your car running and verify that it is not erratic. Use a scan tool and not the temp gauge in the instrument cluster. If it is, check the wiring for and grounds or broken insulation. For the fan relay use the scan tool to activate the fan via the DME. If the fan don’t work, troubleshoot the wiring and connectors. Namely verifying a good clean voltage going into the fan relay
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #3
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

ac compressor over charge or water pump
Appreciate 0