GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-29-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
KC-M
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

BM3 Flex Fuel + Snow Meth

Hello all,

I was on the verge of selling my 17' Alpine White, black interior F80, however i decided against and i am now looking to get some more HP. Currently the car has VRSF Catless DP, VRSF Intake, VRSF Charge pipes, Pinned Crankhub, BM3 Tune, Upgraded BOSCH Sparkplugs, rear tires at 20" all around and 295 in the back, 265 front on Zito ZF01s to help put power down.

I am looking to add BM3 Flex fuel kit and looking for input on meth, i will also be adding VRSF single mid pipe on stock non-MPE muffler.

Hoping to get some input on this build, how much power should i expect? (current mustang dyno at ~500WHP, 550 WTQ) was really hoping to get around 650 WHP.

Looking forward to your feedback
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 08:06 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

On stock turbos and E85 custom Paul Johnson tune you'll be just under 600WHP. To get over 600 on a stock setup you would need to add Meth, but I advise against Meth for fueling since it distribution is not even across all cylinders.

Send an email to Paul and ask what he gets on E85 with M5 injectors, and also ask if the Dorch lift kit and an aftermarket LPFP will be needed.
      10-29-2022, 09:40 PM   #3
KC-M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
On stock turbos and E85 custom Paul Johnson tune you'll be just under 600WHP. To get over 600 on a stock setup you would need to add Meth, but I advise against Meth for fueling since it distribution is not even across all cylinders.

Send an email to Paul and ask what he gets on E85 with M5 injectors, and also ask if the Dorch lift kit and an aftermarket LPFP will be needed.
Thanks jimmy!

I will reach out to Paul for sure, however I am under the impression that meth is for ultra cooling intake air and adds 50-80 HP depending on spray location, nozzle and methanol mixture so I'm a bit confused as to how that would affect each cylinder individually. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

Thanks jimmy!

I will reach out to Paul for sure, however I am under the impression that meth is for ultra cooling intake air and adds 50-80 HP depending on spray location, nozzle and methanol mixture so I'm a bit confused as to how that would affect each cylinder individually. Am I missing something?
There's two ways to spray meth…50/50 meth/water mix with small nozzles for cooling IATs, or 100% meth with bigger/ more nozzles for increased fueling. Both have a benefit of washing or keeping valves clean.

The 50/50 mix gives the benefits of increasing your in-cylinder "octane rating" from the methanol half, and reducing/ preventing detonation from the water half. Depending on where you spray (CPs, J pipe, or port nozzles/ injectors) you can lower IATs because the alcohol evaporates and the water warms up, both absorbing heat from the intake air. In this case squirting into the CPs or J is better, giving time for the evaporation to cool the air charge.

The 100% spray is used only when we are tuning beyond the fueling capacity of our direct injectors and choose to spray fuel (meth) into the intake air path. This requires a custom tune that expects and uses the added fueling to make power, but can be a dangerous effort because any uneven distribution (a cylinder or cylinders not getting enough) causes "detonation" (shock waves) within the cylinder and breaks stuff real fast or immediately. In this case you want accurate and even distribution to each cylinder, so we use multi-nozzle spray (1 nozzle per port) or a PI meth setup (an extra port injector per port). This method of adding fuel is kind of "the old way" since we now can up our stock DI injectors with the higher flow capacity M5 (called EU5) injectors and still squirt highly metered and controlled fueling.

Also with Meth spray or even PI meth, if something clogs or stops working the car's DME doesn't know it…it just sees fueling is off on one side and will try to up the fueling on half the engine (we have 2 upper O2 sensors, so 2 "banks" of three cylinders monitored for AFR). If a cylinder runs short on fuel and you get detonation the DME can't save you with limp mode. If you tan the M5 injectors and have an injector problem the DME is much more likely to detect the problem and save you with limp mode.

If you do choose to use meth spray make sure you talk to a custom tuner first for advice on reason for fueling, % meth to water, nozzle sizing, and spray location. We never go by the charts that the kit manufacturer provides or suggests.

I hope this helps you and others!
      10-30-2022, 04:14 PM   #5
KC-M
Rep

WOW! thank you so much for that knowledge!!! i think given further consideration 60-70 HP is not worth the risk of FUBAR the engine.... looks like just BM3 Flex Fuel and Paul's Tune is in my future, realistically ill have a hard time putting that power down even with the 295s and if i end up craving more just upgrade the snails....
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5537.50
      10-31-2022, 08:14 PM   #6
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3 Non ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-M View Post
WOW! thank you so much for that knowledge!!! i think given further consideration 60-70 HP is not worth the risk of FUBAR the engine.... looks like just BM3 Flex Fuel and Paul's Tune is in my future, realistically ill have a hard time putting that power down even with the 295s and if i end up craving more just upgrade the snails....
You can also go the PI route. Fuel-it and others have secondary port injection that replaces your lpfp and gives you the extra fueling you need. On a mustang Dyno I made 670whp with Fuel-it stage 4 kit, downpipes, custom E85 tune from Paul. The other option is to replace oem injectors with M5 injectors with the Dorsch setup as Jimmy mentioned.

Wish you all the bes with your quest for power
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5537.50