BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
HotIce
Banned
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: I'm not telling some creeper where I live!

Posts: 445
iTrader: (0)

F80 M3 Spotted Cold weather testing







http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-1...o-photo-439384
HotIce is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,014
iTrader: (4)

No power dome
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
No power dome
Half of the previous M3's didn't have one, kinda glad to see it go. No fake intake vent on the right side either. Let's all hope the inevitable side vents don't look like they came off a Taurus like the poor M5's and there's no soundtrack of the engine piped into the interior.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,014
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Half of the previous M3's didn't have one, kinda glad to see it go. No fake intake vent on the right side either. Let's all hope the inevitable side vents don't look like they came off a Taurus like the poor M5's and there's no soundtrack of the engine piped into the interior.
I'm with you on the fake soundtrack. I'm also with you on the ugly side gills. I am also/as well/too with you on the fake hood vent -- I would have been perfectly happy with an asymmetrical hood.

But we are sworn enemies for life over the power dome issue. I want a dome, and I shall smite anyone who disagrees with me. The fewer pieces of sheet metal (or CF) that are shared between the F30 and F80, the better.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
But we are sworn enemies for life over the power dome issue.
Ha! Fair enough. This is probably the wrong time to mention that I hate the quad exhaust on non-V M cars too. I just sold my M Coupe and always debated replacing that stupid setup with a single sided exhaust.

Don't get me wrong, I love it on the E9x and E6x cars, as well as the F10 M5, but just find it silly on straight sixes and absolutely hate the double fruit shooters on 335i's.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,014
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Ha! Fair enough. This is probably the wrong time to mention that I hate the quad exhaust on non-V M cars too. I just sold my M Coupe and always debated replacing that stupid setup with a single sided exhaust.

Don't get me wrong, I love it on the E9x and E6x cars, as well as the F10 M5, but just find it silly on straight sixes and absolutely hate the double fruit shooters on 335i's.
Yes, form should always follow function*.

*Except for power domes -- they're exempt.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Yes, form should always follow function*.

*Except for power domes -- they're exempt.
Keep an eye out for the F80 test cars. I used to live in Laguna Beach, and frequently saw BMW test mules coming down PCH. I imagine the timing is about right to start seeing them out there about now.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,014
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Keep an eye out for the F80 test cars. I used to live in Laguna Beach, and frequently saw BMW test mules coming down PCH. I imagine the timing is about right to start seeing them out there about now.
Yup, they always refuel at the Shell station on Sepulveda and Fiji in Marina del Rey. I saw the E9X M3, E6X M5/M6, and F10 M5 all around this area during their testing phases. Probably won't see them for another 6 months or so, but should be soon.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
 
Voltigeur's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
No power dome
+ 1000

I appreciate the form follows function argument but at some stage heritage of design does also play it's part (even a slight rise as a nod to the dome). Porsche w/ the 911 do this so well.

991 CS2 then.
__________________

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 02-18-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
adrianglock
Registered
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
I'm with you on the fake soundtrack. I'm also with you on the ugly side gills. I am also/as well/too with you on the fake hood vent -- I would have been perfectly happy with an asymmetrical hood.
Regarding the hood! I think it is just a way to conceal anything about the front end of the car. It's still just a prototype anyway the final design of the car will be shown on it's launch. This is just a way to distract other upcoming cars.
__________________
Love Live the Bimmers
car parts online
adrianglock is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST