BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #67
Blindside_137
Major General
Blindside_137's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
5,895
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC // Blacksburg, VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchio View Post
If Nissan can make their GT-R sound amazing... Why is it too much to ask to get an awesome sound on the new F80 M3???
this,

I'll reserve judgement on the sound when it comes out. And I'm sure aftermarket options will be awesome
__________________
M3 Edition Grilles|Painted Reflectors|Matte Black Vinyl Window Trim|CF Performance Spoiler|35% Tint|19" Satin Black Avant Garde M359|Lux H8 V3
OEM Aero Lip|M3 Side Skirts|LCI Tails|M-tech Rear|Duke Dynamics CF Performance|Cyba 4.0 Black Chrome
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #68
Xelloss
Private First Class
Xelloss's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
169
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Did you sleep through the whole S85 V10 era? Not saying that we're seeing a V6 here, but using a non-series motor is sort of the whole point of M prior to the X5M/X6M, 1M and F10 M5, the S85 probably being the most bespoke of the lot.
Actually, almost all the M engines have been based on series production motors. The E46 M3's S54 was derived from the M54, E36 M3's S50 from M50, and the E30 S14 from the M10 block. Even the Mclaren F1's S70 was developed from the M70 block. The S85/S65 are the first to be truly bespoke and with BMW's desire to save costs, I believe they would like to return to that traditional formula as they have done with the S63/tu. With all the rumors flying about the V6, I have faith that BMW will stick to the glorious I6 for the E8X generation. It is just not financially prudent to allocate the resources to make a great V6 (not to mention the backlash from the BMW enthusiast community).
__________________
2004 E46 M3, Jet Black/Black Interior, SMG II, Nav/Fully Loaded

"I feel the need...

...the need for speed!"
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #69
M3_WC
Colonel
29
Rep
2,242
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
Actually, almost all the M engines have been based on series production motors. The E46 M3's S54 was derived from the M54, E36 M3's S50 from M50, and the E30 S14 from the M10 block. Even the Mclaren F1's S70 was developed from the M70 block. The S85/S65 are the first to be truly bespoke and with BMW's desire to save costs, I believe they would like to return to that traditional formula as they have done with the S63/tu. With all the rumors flying about the V6, I have faith that BMW will stick to the glorious I6 for the E8X generation. It is just not financially prudent to allocate the resources to make a great V6 (not to mention the backlash from the BMW enthusiast community).
BMW also has a history of chopping two cylinders off the S85 and sticking in the E9x M3. That is where the V6 rumors come from, using the S63/tu.

Guess we will have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #70
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
215
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

1. Yes sound is REALLY important to a lot of folks. An aftermarket exhaust set up can help but it can't turn a FI sounding car into a NA high revving sound.
2. This car does not sound very good to me.
3. Yes the production car will sound different than this one, for sure.
4. I'd be willing to bet all of you posting that you can tell what the engine configuration (I vs. V) is by the sound could not actually do that in a blind aural test among Is and Vs.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #71
stevehifi
Private
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Irvine,CA

iTrader: (2)

I think we've already seen the tri-turbo experiment or derivation from a previous m-engine - the tri-turbo diesel engines in the X550d and X5d. Also
the development of the 1M helped BMW stress the efficiency and resilience of a FI engine on a track.

The sound of the F80 M3 in that video is definitely I6. The engine will combine direct injection, valvetronic and three turbos (small, medium and large) to
simulate the linear power curve of an NA motor (similar to what we have seen with the tri-turbo diesel).

V6 would be an interesting move, but I don't think it's as easy as chopping
two cylinders off. Plus they sound like crap (go listen to a Nissan or Infinity
V6 accelerate)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #72
DarkMatter
Private
2
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Universe

iTrader: (1)

It's going to be a V6 bi/tri turbo, sucks but true and needed to make bigger power and efficiency. An I-6 would require a big turbo/s and much bigger displacement to make reliable ~450 HP. 3.5 liter V6 twin turbo is my bet. Tuners are going to love and no more stupidly overpriced superchargers
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #73
kueks29
Private First Class
kueks29's Avatar
Germany
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anywhere

iTrader: (0)

I would put a cent at present to some concept.
Even employees of the M-GmbH tell everything-except the truth!
Thus speaks one half of the V6, the other half of the R6 ...

It is interesting but just a rumor that has surfaced:
Latest BMW insider info, 3 sources.

Here we go:
Dubbed "S54b42 '(e46 m3 had notice S54b32)
N / A 3.6l inline 6
~ 466hp @ 6700rpm-7700rpm
~ 434hp @ 8300rpm redline
~ 390tq from 4300rpm all the way up to 7500rpm
~ 350tq @ 8300rpm redline
performance exhaust

Fuel Economy
27mpg highway
20mpg city

M3 F80
3180lb dry
Carbon roof
Carbon hood and trunk
6 piston front 4 piston rear, drilled or slotted rotors
14:5:1 steering (same as e46 m3 csl and comp. Package)
Race tuned, adjustable suspension
19 inch BBS wheels, e46 csl wheels by inspried but "new / updated" look
Michelin PSS optional Pilot Cup tires Sprot


Whether it really is true, I can not say ....
...but as of the release-date I can tell you something:
It will not take more like 12 months!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #74
M3_WC
Colonel
29
Rep
2,242
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

^
I will sh*t myself if that is true.

It does not sound like a high revving na I6 in any videos.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #75
kueks29
Private First Class
kueks29's Avatar
Germany
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anywhere

iTrader: (0)

I recommend you once read in various forums ...

Of particular interest is always the fact that knowledge with each new video, the self-proclaimed experts no matter what the bears under the hood ... and the only sound in a video!
For example, a 100% sure that this can only act in a I6 .... and the others are sure 100% that the sound was definitely not a I6 can be ...

And at the end are all as smart as previously...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #76
pinnaclebass
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: e36 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: denton,tx

iTrader: (0)

you know I've been following this new M3 release for a while and while what a lot of what kueks29 says seems far fetched, i.e 3180 dry weight-- one thing does seem interesting, do we know for sure it will be turbo charged?
What if what really comes out is a NA inline 6 or V6 for that matter making 430 -450 hp and close to 400 ft lbs of torque. That would be very inspiring to say the least and would be a game changer.
Sadly nothing points to this direction except misinformation perhaps.
Reading into BMW is like trying to read our own federal government it takes a lot of deciphering through rumors, theories and hearsay to get to the truth.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #77
kueks29
Private First Class
kueks29's Avatar
Germany
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anywhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnaclebass View Post
you know I've been following this new M3 release for a while and while what a lot of what kueks29 says seems far fetched, i.e 3180 dry weight--
You know that already, where you have not yet seen the car?
Very interesting theory ...

But OK, I'll keep my mouth shut at this point now ...
...but a very strong showing for the first post!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:46 AM   #78
pinnaclebass
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: e36 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: denton,tx

iTrader: (0)

lol you are funny, I like that.
Unladen weight then would be 3500 lbs? Around 200lbs less than e90 m3, Perhaps this is attainable but you missed the major point of my post, which was to give some thought to what you claimed as being the new motor s54b42 <<why would this not be s54b36 if 3.6 liter?
Glad to have such a welcome though, thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #79
crazylegs52
New Member
crazylegs52's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E93 M3 Silverstone
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

I agree with the sound not being up to par with the S65 V8. Everyday the weather is nice, I put the top down or the windows down, turn down the radio, and listen to the engine. It is one of the reasons I love the car so much.

Having said that, I would think the exhaust on this car is not likely the finished product and still has a year before release for fine tuning. Also, it seems to me that this driver was not pushing the engine as much as handling. At a few points, the wheels were squealing from what seemed more like aggressive turns, without necessarily pushing things.

I'm not a racer, just offering a thought. You all can tell me if I'm crazy. Just didn't seem like this car was really being DRIVEN.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #80
kueks29
Private First Class
kueks29's Avatar
Germany
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anywhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnaclebass View Post
lol you are funny, I like that.
Unladen weight then would be 3500 lbs? Around 200lbs less than e90 m3, Perhaps this is attainable but you missed the major point of my post, which was to give some thought to what you claimed as being the new motor s54b42 <<why would this not be s54b36 if 3.6 liter?
Glad to have such a welcome though, thanks
Read correctly, it helps ...

I said clearly that this rumor was posted in another forum!
Click here, because you can find the original post.

Moreover, it seems more of a late April Fool's joke act
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #81
M3_WC
Colonel
29
Rep
2,242
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kueks29 View Post
I recommend you once read in various forums ...

Of particular interest is always the fact that knowledge with each new video, the self-proclaimed experts no matter what the bears under the hood ... and the only sound in a video!
For example, a 100% sure that this can only act in a I6 .... and the others are sure 100% that the sound was definitely not a I6 can be ...

And at the end are all as smart as previously...
If those specs you listed come true, that would be one epic car. If BMW drops a bombshell and delivers a high revving normally aspirated car, that would be insane. I just don't see it happening,unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #82
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Uli_HH's Avatar
Germany
33
Rep
572
Posts

 
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hamburg Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kueks29 View Post
Read correctly, it helps ...

I said clearly that this rumor was posted in another forum!
Click here, because you can find the original post.

Moreover, it seems more of a late April Fool's joke act
OR only the wet dreams of an big S54-Fanboy, who postet this some days before:
Quote:
BMW IF YOU ARE READING THIS, WE NEED N/A Straight six, make another engine as remarkable as the s54 and not a disappointment like the 4.4 tt in the F10M. PLEEEAAASSEEEEE. If you have done this already, i want to thank you and i look forward to the unveiling. If you havent, you BETTER chabge it to what we want.
If the M-GmbH would ever consider an N/A engine for the F80 M3, this would be to 100% an modified S65 and never ever old S54 derivate!

Greets Uli_HH
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #83
duk
///M
United_States
42
Rep
2,968
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kueks29 View Post
I would put a cent at present to some concept.
Even employees of the M-GmbH tell everything-except the truth!
Thus speaks one half of the V6, the other half of the R6 ...

It is interesting but just a rumor that has surfaced:
Latest BMW insider info, 3 sources.

Here we go:
Dubbed "S54b42 '(e46 m3 had notice S54b32)
N / A 3.6l inline 6
~ 466hp @ 6700rpm-7700rpm
~ 434hp @ 8300rpm redline
~ 390tq from 4300rpm all the way up to 7500rpm
~ 350tq @ 8300rpm redline
performance exhaust

Fuel Economy
27mpg highway
20mpg city

M3 F80
3180lb dry
Carbon roof
Carbon hood and trunk
6 piston front 4 piston rear, drilled or slotted rotors
14:5:1 steering (same as e46 m3 csl and comp. Package)
Race tuned, adjustable suspension
19 inch BBS wheels, e46 csl wheels by inspried but "new / updated" look
Michelin PSS optional Pilot Cup tires Sprot


Whether it really is true, I can not say ....
...but as of the release-date I can tell you something:
It will not take more like 12 months!
if this is true im upgrading!!! holy crap if true

that's A LOT of stress for a turbo motor at that rpm, esp for an inline 6?
__________________
2011 AW/FR 6MT E92 | Powered by Premier | Alekshop | ESS |
Rok n Peace Clothing: www.roknpeace.com

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 02:53 AM   #84
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
796
Posts

 
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Queens, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kueks29 View Post
I would put a cent at present to some concept.
Even employees of the M-GmbH tell everything-except the truth!
Thus speaks one half of the V6, the other half of the R6 ...

It is interesting but just a rumor that has surfaced:
Latest BMW insider info, 3 sources.

Here we go:
Dubbed "S54b42 '(e46 m3 had notice S54b32)
N / A 3.6l inline 6
~ 466hp @ 6700rpm-7700rpm
~ 434hp @ 8300rpm redline
~ 390tq from 4300rpm all the way up to 7500rpm
~ 350tq @ 8300rpm redline
performance exhaust

Fuel Economy
27mpg highway
20mpg city

M3 F80
3180lb dry
Carbon roof
Carbon hood and trunk
6 piston front 4 piston rear, drilled or slotted rotors
14:5:1 steering (same as e46 m3 csl and comp. Package)
Race tuned, adjustable suspension
19 inch BBS wheels, e46 csl wheels by inspried but "new / updated" look
Michelin PSS optional Pilot Cup tires Sprot


Whether it really is true, I can not say ....
...but as of the release-date I can tell you something:
It will not take more like 12 months!
Correct me if I'm wrong but...

Normally the numbers after the "b" in the engine designation signify the displacement...

3.6L would be S54b36 not S54b42... IDK MAN
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #85
Tonifyd
Lieutenant
Tonifyd's Avatar
11
Rep
459
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 JB E90M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

If Porsche can make a NA 6 cyl. 450 hp engine, why cant BMW??
__________________
2011.75 E90 ///M3 6MT | JB | Blk | CF | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | 403 | 6NR | 752 [Sold T.T]
'95 Integra GS-R [Stolen-RIP] | '05 Legacy GT Stg 2[Traded] | '08 STi Stg 2+[Sold]
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #86
Levi
Brigadier General
Levi's Avatar
Czech_Republic
124
Rep
3,452
Posts

 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

Most are forgetting something. All V6 engines on the market now (Nissan GT-R, Nissan 370 Z, Mercedes C350, Mustang V6) are at 60°. The M3 F80 engine, if it is a V6, it is at 90°. You think BMW will make it like the old GMs? No, they will surely install a counter-rotating balacing shaft, that will makethis V6 almost as smooth as an I6. That is why the sound is not that different between such a V6 @ 90° and an I6, so we can't tell it from the vid.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #87
kueks29
Private First Class
kueks29's Avatar
Germany
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anywhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Most are forgetting something. All V6 engines on the market now (Nissan GT-R, Nissan 370 Z, Mercedes C350, Mustang V6) are at 60°. The M3 F80 engine, if it is a V6, it is at 90°. You think BMW will make it like the old GMs? No, they will surely install a counter-rotating balacing shaft, that will makethis V6 almost as smooth as an I6. That is why the sound is not that different between such a V6 @ 90° and an I6, so we can't tell it from the vid.
That's right!

Can tell the only people who have already looked under the hood ...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #88
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Uli_HH's Avatar
Germany
33
Rep
572
Posts

 
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hamburg Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Most are forgetting something. All V6 engines on the market now (Nissan GT-R, Nissan 370 Z, Mercedes C350, Mustang V6) are at 60°. The M3 F80 engine, if it is a V6, it is at 90°. You think BMW will make it like the old GMs? No, they will surely install a counter-rotating balacing shaft, that will makethis V6 almost as smooth as an I6. That is why the sound is not that different between such a V6 @ 90° and an I6, so we can't tell it from the vid.
NO ... I donīt think so, because of the added weight !

I think that they would use an special firing order for the cylinders like they had done it with the S85 V10 ... same result like an counter-rotating balancing shaft, but no weight increase and the reason for the different sound !

Last edited by Uli_HH; 04-03-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2013 bmw m3, 2013 bmw m4, 2013 m3, 2013 m4, 2014 bmw m3, 2014 m3, 2014 m3 forum, 2014 m3 renders, bmw f80, bmw f80 forum, bmw f80 forums, bmw f80 m3, bmw f80 m3 sedan, bmw f80 m3 video, bmw f80 video, bmw f82, bmw f82 forum, bmw f82 forums, bmw f82 m3, bmw f82 m3 coupe, bmw f82 m3 forum, bmw f82 m4, bmw f82 m4 coupe, bmw f83, bmw f83 m3, bmw f83 m4, bmw m forum, bmw m forums, bmw m4, bmw m4 coupe, bmw m4 coupe forum, bmw m4 forum, bmw m4 forums, bmw spy, bmw spy photo, bmw spy photos, bmw spy pic, bmw spy pics, bmw spy video, bmw spy videos, bmw spyshot, bmw spyshots, f30 m3 renders, f80, f80 forum, f80 forums, f80 m3, f80 m3 forums, f80 m3 render, f80 m3 renders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST