BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #265
BMWPWR
Second Lieutenant
 
BMWPWR's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ///M

Posts: 215
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar
Please get over it people.
Stop acting like a V8 belongs in an M3. There have been multiple M3 generations, and only one generation had a V8.
Agreed. Who cares really. As long as the new m3 performs and lives up to its expectations that's all that matters. If all you want is v8 symphony go buy an American muscle car

And for those that will refuse to buy the new m3 due to it being badged as an m4, wake up it's only a badge to keep all the models separated and in line with each other. I'm sure it's for a good reason, a company like BMW know what they're doing.
BMWPWR is offline  
0
      06-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #266
kueks29
Private First Class
 
kueks29's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anywhere

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

It is here not about the V8. The principle is already history, and not a V8 in the M3 is more likely, probably be clear to everyone.
The only question is how the six-cylinder engine could be built ...

This time is an interesting statement from an engine developer of that manufacturer:
"So, watch out: BMW has always placed on the R6, because the smoothness was at the forefront as an engineer for engine technology, I can you but say the following. The biggest problem of R6 is that with ever-increasing power, the load block increase and crankshaft exorbitant. This is simply the length. biggest problem is the crankshaft. by their length, they must be condemned designed to be massively and so it is very difficult! and what is the greatest enemy of a sports engine? right weight! the heavier the crankshaft, the more sluggish revs up the engine! This might be for a silky AG-engine is a great feeling, but not for a sporty M-engine! Therefore, the F80, the crankshaft to about half of those of, for example 335i truncated and still housed six cylinders are! the engine is indeed a tad wider, but much shorter ... and winds up like hell!
And if you have not understood what I want now to say to you, then I can help you even more ... "
__________________
kueks29 is offline   Germany
0
      06-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #267
mosamra
Registered
 
Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cairo Egypt

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPWR View Post
Agreed. Who cares really. As long as the new m3 performs and lives up to its expectations that's all that matters. If all you want is v8 symphony go buy an American muscle car

And for those that will refuse to buy the new m3 due to it being badged as an m4, wake up it's only a badge to keep all the models separated and in line with each other. I'm sure it's for a good reason, a company like BMW know what they're doing.
In that sense also turbo charger never excited in m3 as well it was always an NA- regarding buying an american muscle y don't u go and buy a japanese evo where its all about small engines and huge turbos,
mosamra is offline   Egypt
0
      06-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #268
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (2015 M4 on order)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 3,412
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
I too feel a little pinch thinking that the M3 will be going turbo. But I cannot find any rational argument for it. Looking back at motor-sport history, there is a huge heritage of great turbo cars: F-1, Sport prototype, Champ car, WRC, etc.. so there goes the argument about turbos not being pure in terms of tracking or motor sport.

I think what disturbs the most, is the thought of BMW simply adapting a "standard" engine to an ///M application (like on X5M, X6M, 1M and F10 M5). Historically, the ///M division have built their own engines. And what great engine they were , winning awards year after year. While I understand that previous ///M engines have started somewhere from a "standard" baseline, the transformations were extensive.

So if ///M builds their own engine (mostly) from the ground-up for the new M3/M4, I guess I'll be OK with it, turbo or not.

If it is simply an adapted N54 or N55, then meh ... it leaves me a little cold.
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
0
      06-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #269
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
 
Uli_HH's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hamburg Germany

Posts: 572
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I too feel a little pinch thinking that the M3 will be going turbo. But I cannot find any rational argument for it. Looking back at motor-sport history, there is a huge heritage of great turbo cars: F-1, Sport prototype, Champ car, WRC, etc.. so there goes the argument about turbos not being pure in terms of tracking or motor sport.

I think what disturbs the most, is the thought of BMW simply adapting a "standard" engine to an ///M application (like on X5M, X6M, 1M and F10 M5). Historically, the ///M division have built their own engines. And what great engine they were , winning awards year after year. While I understand that previous ///M engines have started somewhere from a "standard" baseline, the transformations were extensive.

So if ///M builds their own engine (mostly) from the ground-up for the new M3/M4, I guess I'll be OK with it, turbo or not.

If it is simply an adapted N54 or N55, then meh ... it leaves me a little cold.
+1

Thatīs it ... and why I prefer the M-GmbH developed V6 BiTurbo so much over an simple adapted AG N55 as engine for the coming F80/F82.
Uli_HH is offline   Germany
0
      06-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #270
Xelloss
Private First Class
 
Xelloss's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I too feel a little pinch thinking that the M3 will be going turbo. But I cannot find any rational argument for it. Looking back at motor-sport history, there is a huge heritage of great turbo cars: F-1, Sport prototype, Champ car, WRC, etc.. so there goes the argument about turbos not being pure in terms of tracking or motor sport.

I think what disturbs the most, is the thought of BMW simply adapting a "standard" engine to an ///M application (like on X5M, X6M, 1M and F10 M5). Historically, the ///M division have built their own engines. And what great engine they were , winning awards year after year. While I understand that previous ///M engines have started somewhere from a "standard" baseline, the transformations were extensive.

So if ///M builds their own engine (mostly) from the ground-up for the new M3/M4, I guess I'll be OK with it, turbo or not.

If it is simply an adapted N54 or N55, then meh ... it leaves me a little cold.
If I recall, a majority of their engines have been based on mainstream engine blocks. The S54B32, one of the most award winning engines in BMW/M's history was based on the M54. I don't understand why people like to skew M's history based on a few recent engines.
__________________
2004 E46 M3, Jet Black/Black Interior, SMG II, Nav/Fully Loaded

"I feel the need...

...the need for speed!"
Xelloss is offline   United_States
0
      06-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #271
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (2015 M4 on order)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 3,412
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
If I recall, a majority of their engines have been based on mainstream engine blocks. The S54B32, one of the most award winning engines in BMW/M's history was based on the M54. I don't understand why people like to skew M's history based on a few recent engines.
Read my post again. I did say that older ///M engines were based from standard engine but were extensively transformed. The S54 might be based on the M54 series, but the block was iron rather than aluminum, bored and stroked to 3.2L, new head and valve train with double vanos, individual throttles, etc... that to me that is an extensive tranformation.

However, the engine in the 1M is almost a straight carry over from the Z4 sdrive35is.

That is my point.

PS, don't quote the engine in the US spec E36 M3 as it wasn't a real M engine either...

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-08-2012 at 02:42 PM.
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
0
      06-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #272
HiMario#30
Registered
 
HiMario#30's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 E92 JetBlack DKG
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Italy-Monza

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

...I think V8 is the best engine of the world...any sounds like that around?!?!??!
NOOOO!! :-)
__________________

Me on my DUCATI 1199 Panigale S @Misano World Circuit
HiMario#30 is offline   Italy
0
      06-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #273
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,139
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Marry View Post
The biggest problem of R6 is that with ever-increasing power, the load block increase and crankshaft exorbitant. This is simply the length. biggest problem is the crankshaft.
Didn't think of that. It could be a possible reason, but what about the new +700 PS V12 engines ? An not to forget the Toyota Supra with its TT I6 making monster numbers.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
      06-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #274
cged14
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Read my post again. I did say that older ///M engines were based from standard engine but were extensively transformed. The S54 might be based on the M54 series, but the block was iron rather than aluminum, bored and stroked to 3.2L, new head and valve train with double vanos, individual throttles, etc... that to me that is an extensive tranformation.

However, the engine in the 1M is almost a straight carry over from the Z4 sdrive35is.

That is my point.

PS, don't quote the engine in the US spec E36 M3 as it wasn't a real M engine either...
+1
cged14 is offline  
0
      06-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #275
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
 
Uli_HH's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hamburg Germany

Posts: 572
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Didn't think of that. It could be a possible reason, but what about the new +700 PS V12 engines ? An not to forget the Toyota Supra with its TT I6 making monster numbers.
Yes thats right, the problem could be solved be reinforcing the crankshaft and its housing ... but thats meen increasing the engine weight ... and an heavy and long I6 isnīt the best option for an front engine sportscar, because it creates understeer or must put weight at the back of the car to improve the balance ... and so you get even more weight.
Uli_HH is offline   Germany
0
      06-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #276
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,139
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
Yes thats right, the problem could be solved be reinforcing the crankshaft and its housing ... but thats meen increasing the engine weight ... and an heavy and long I6 isnīt the best option for an front engine sportscar, because it creates understeer or must put weight at the back of the car to improve the balance ... and so you get even more weight.
A reinforced crankshaft is forged, it does not increase weight, it increases cost. On the other hand who knows ? There must also be a reason why the new GT-R switched from I6 to V6. The GT-R community also did not approve that move, but now the GT-R is Prosche benchmark.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
      06-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #277
leyton2
New Member
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: london

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [1.00]
I still think they should have modify and stick with the V8 unit, I dont think the I6 will be able to cope with the power required to make the M3 stand out in todays market.

Just look under the bonnet of the Porsche, and Nissan gt. The M3 as its work cut out and to win it will lots of power and good aerodynimic.


leyton2 is offline   United Kingdom
0
      07-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #278
BMWJ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 276
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPWR View Post
Agreed. Who cares really. As long as the new m3 performs and lives up to its expectations that's all that matters.
You can't please all the people all the time. Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining.

The next M3 is going to be more expensive, have a smaller engine, and probably be rebadge to a new name.... and it'll probably sell better than any previous generation ever did.... so what, as long as it performs better, is comfortable, and reliable.....
BMWJ is offline  
0
      07-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #279
WJGreer
Lieutenant
 
WJGreer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver

Posts: 505
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyton2 View Post
I still think they should have modify and stick with the V8 unit, I dont think the I6 will be able to cope with the power required to make the M3 stand out in todays market.

Just look under the bonnet of the Porsche
...and you'll find a small displacement flat 6. I assume we're talking about the 911, right? Or are you comparing the M3 to a Panamera?
__________________
-Will
2013 535i xDrive M-Sport | 2005 545i Sport (Retired and missed) | 2001 X5 3.0 Sport (Retired)
WJGreer is online now   United_States
0
      07-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #280
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel
 
bimmerjph's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,944
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer
...and you'll find a small displacement flat 6. I assume we're talking about the 911, right? Or are you comparing the M3 to a Panamera?
I was thinking the same thing.
bimmerjph is offline   United_States
0
      07-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #281
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328i GT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Shanghai - China

Posts: 243
iTrader: (0)

Yes both the 911 and GTR are quite happy with just 6 cylinders, performance wise they are quite close as well for flat vs V.
jwickers is offline  
0
      07-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #282
IS3andME
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Lexus IS300
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 410
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
A reinforced crankshaft is forged, it does not increase weight, it increases cost. On the other hand who knows ? There must also be a reason why the new GT-R switched from I6 to V6. The GT-R community also did not approve that move, but now the GT-R is Prosche benchmark.
Quite possibly it could be that getting the RB26DETT to pass emissions was geting harder, just like it was for Toyota's 2jzgte and their Lexus Division's 2jzge in the IS300---each were phased out due to harder to pass emissions tests.
IS3andME is offline  
0
      07-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #283
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,139
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Quite possibly it could be that getting the RB26DETT to pass emissions was geting harder, just like it was for Toyota's 2jzgte and their Lexus Division's 2jzge in the IS300---each were phased out due to harder to pass emissions tests.
Emissions are in any case the main reason why good engines and good cars are disappearing. If not the Honda K20 and BMW S54 would still be on the market, and the M3/M4 would have kept its S65.

I don't care about emissions, just don't cut down the forests, but the problem is that fuel price rises.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
      07-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #284
Rissei
New Member
 
Drives: E92 MR
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Quite possibly it could be that getting the RB26DETT to pass emissions was geting harder, just like it was for Toyota's 2jzgte and their Lexus Division's 2jzge in the IS300---each were phased out due to harder to pass emissions tests.
It was probably easier to simply modify the VQ engine rathern then put further R&D into an engine for *one* low-production model (sound familiar?).

If the N55-->S55 is equivalent to VQ35-->VR38, I'll be ok with this.
Rissei is offline  
0
      07-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #285
IS3andME
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Lexus IS300
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 410
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Emissions are in any case the main reason why good engines and good cars are disappearing. If not the Honda K20 and BMW S54 would still be on the market, and the M3/M4 would have kept its S65.

I don't care about emissions, just don't cut down the forests, but the problem is that fuel price rises.
I wish that they continued development of the 2jzge---and that is the reason why I'm keeping my IS300. It was basically the last application of the engine, and the first gen IS.
Quote:
It was probably easier to simply modify the VQ engine rathern then put further R&D into an engine for *one* low-production model (sound familiar?).

If the N55-->S55 is equivalent to VQ35-->VR38, I'll be ok with this.
I agree
And apparently, Nissan will be using Mercedes V6's as the Nissan's are notoriously rough runners
IS3andME is offline  
0
      07-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #286
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,139
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
I wish that they continued development of the 2jzge---and that is the reason why I'm keeping my IS300. It was basically the last application of the engine, and the first gen IS.
I had first generation IS200 with NA 2.0l I6. Not a 2JZ, but I loved it.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
2014 bmw m3, 2014 m3, 2014 m3 engine, 2014 m3 forum, 2014 m4, 2014 m4 coupe, 2015 bmw m3, 2015 bmw m4, 2015 m3, 2015 m3 engine, 2015 m4, 2015 m4 coupe, bmw f80, bmw f80 forum, bmw f80 forums, bmw f80 m3, bmw f80 m3 engine, bmw f80 m3 sedan, bmw f82, bmw f82 forum, bmw f82 forums, bmw f82 m3, bmw f82 m3 coupe, bmw f82 m3 forum, bmw f82 m4, bmw f82 m4 coupe, bmw f82 m4 engine, bmw f83, bmw f83 m3, bmw f83 m4, bmw m forum, bmw m forums, bmw m4, bmw m4 coupe, bmw m4 coupe forum, bmw m4 forum, bmw m4 forums, f80, f80 forum, f80 forums, f80 m3, f80 m3 engine, f80 m3 forum, f80 m3 forums, f80 m3 motor, f80 m3 sedan, f82, f82 coupe, f82 forum, f82 forums, f82 m3, f82 m3 coupe, f82 m3 forum, f82 m4, f82 m4 coupe, f82 m4 engine, f82 m4 forum, f82 m4 forums, f82 m4 motor, f83 m3

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST