BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Rocky99
New Member
 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Singapore

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Audi did it

It's also a V8, NA engine, larger 4.2l displacement, redline 8250rpm.

All these, but fuel consumption only at 22.4mpg.

Audi.RS5

Can someone tell me why?
Rocky99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
 
Drives: BMW 335is
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: east

Posts: 503
iTrader: (0)

push that motor and you will see 12mpg average. there is no miracle. 22mpg, its a hwy figure with cruize control set to 100km/h
__________________
Bimmer
__________________________________________________
335is - AW, Loaded, 19" 313M, 6MT

Impatiently waiting for F80/F82
bimmer is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 3,954
iTrader: (4)

Primarily through direct injection, would be my guess. But that 4.2L direct-injected V8 has been causing reliability problems for Audi owners, I believe.

Also, I don't believe fuel consumption should be a consideration when buying an M car. If you're worried about economy, there are other cars that will suit your needs better.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Rocky99
New Member
 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Singapore

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Fuel consumption is not a major consideration for many when buying an M car.

But as BMW moves towards the direction of TC + Lesser Cylinders to comply with fuel economy and emission standards, 6 or 8 cyclinder NAs are history in the new production cars.

They should have made it even more fuel efficient in the first place before replacing them with turbo 4s and 6s.
Rocky99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
FC
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '11 328iT, '07 MCS, '02 JGC
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Greater Boston

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

I don't care so much about fuel economy except I don't want to have a sub 200-mile range. Nor do I want a 25-gallon tank to get me 300 miles (because of the weight penalty).
FC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,018
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Why is fuel economy not a concern? I'd own an F80 M3 it wasn't for the miserable mileage. I just can't justify something that inefficient for a daily driver.
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,011
iTrader: (1)

The B8 generation of Audi products are nearing the end of their lifespan and with them the 4.2L FSI is as well (except for possibly the next R8, though even that I somewhat doubt).

The next generation RS4 and RS5 may or may not move to a 6 cylinder engine - we don't know yet. But they will, with near certainty, not be powered by a naturally aspirated engine.
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - M-DCT
2011 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen - DSG
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
JRV
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '08 C300, 2011.75 AWE90M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bedford, NY

Posts: 246
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why is fuel economy not a concern? I'd own an F80 M3 it wasn't for the miserable mileage. I just can't justify something that inefficient for a daily driver.
yea for real, i really cant stand it when someone blasts the old clichet at someone " You dont buy an M car and worry about gas consumption stupid!" Well, maybe without the "stupid" but you get what i'm saying. Everyone has different concerns when purchasing a car M or Z or F. Wouldnt you take an M3 w/similar performance that is nicer to your wallet??? If you say no your just lying lol.
__________________
'08 Silver/Black C300
'09 Yamaha Raven R6 (SOLD)
Loaded AW Fox Red/Black/Black Carbon Leather ZCP E90 M3 (Halloween Delivery)
JRV is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
Remonster
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 898
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
yea for real, i really cant stand it when someone blasts the old clichet at someone " You dont buy an M car and worry about gas consumption stupid!" Well, maybe without the "stupid" but you get what i'm saying. Everyone has different concerns when purchasing a car M or Z or F. Wouldnt you take an M3 w/similar performance that is nicer to your wallet??? If you say no your just lying lol.
Performance isn't what an M car is about, it's about the way it feels in your hands, the way it sounds, etc.

Those of us arguing against chasing fuel efficiency are only against it because you usually end up sacrificing the things we care more about. I saw the new M6 at my local dealer the other day and heard it rev and, when someone else test drove it, heard it fly by me and it sounds ok but it wasn't very exciting. The first time I heard an S85 V10 I wanted nothing more than to get behind the wheel and drive it but the new M6 didn't have that effect on me. I wasn't very interested in it at all, the performance numbers are hugely impressive but personally I would rather buy an M6 with the 5.5L V10 with 575 horsepower they were supposedly working on than one with the TTV8 even if the V8 gets me further on a tank of gas.

Simply put, for me and for a lot of other enthusiasts the added excitement of a screaming N/A engine outweighs the minor inconvenience of spending a bit more time and money at the pump.
Remonster is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
mweisdorfer
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 Black/black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

Posts: 298
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 bmw 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky99
Fuel consumption is not a major consideration for many when buying an M car.

But as BMW moves towards the direction of TC + Lesser Cylinders to comply with fuel economy and emission standards, 6 or 8 cyclinder NAs are history in the new production cars.

They should have made it even more fuel efficient in the first place before replacing them with turbo 4s and 6s.
It is in the CPO world when now you have an M3 worth about 45k and about 3 years old with about 36 - 45 thousand miles on it. People shy away from it when they see it maxes out at 20mpg on the hwy.

If the M3 got say 26 or so on the hwy or even 28, the CPO sales would go through the roof. Now you have a sweet car that can actually be used on the daily commute to work.
mweisdorfer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
Levi
Banned
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,017
iTrader: (0)

For those wanting NA engines, the next M3/M4 will not be for them. The Porsche 911 Carrera S (991) powered by a NA 3.8 H6 and the next Lexus IS-F (Mk3) powered by a NA 5.0 V8 may.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII/Black
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 1,934
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why is fuel economy not a concern? I'd own an F80 M3 it wasn't for the miserable mileage. I just can't justify something that inefficient for a daily driver.
How did you get advance info on the fuel economy of the F80 M3?
gblansten is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,018
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
How did you get advance info on the fuel economy of the F80 M3?
Oops, meant E90 M3. I don't think there's any way the F80 will get any where near as bad of EPA numbers as the E9x M cars.
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Lemon Jelly M3
Lieutenant
 
Lemon Jelly M3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90,ZCP,6MT)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 476
iTrader: (0)

Audi has some issues with their DI engines.
Lemon Jelly M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
US///M3
Banned
 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Why is fuel economy not a concern? I'd own an F80 M3 it wasn't for the miserable mileage. I just can't justify something that inefficient for a daily driver.
I wouldn't mind the E36 M3's fuel consumption.
US///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #16
mapezzul
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Performance isn't what an M car is about, it's about the way it feels in your hands, the way it sounds, etc.

Those of us arguing against chasing fuel efficiency are only against it because you usually end up sacrificing the things we care more about. I saw the new M6 at my local dealer the other day and heard it rev and, when someone else test drove it, heard it fly by me and it sounds ok but it wasn't very exciting. The first time I heard an S85 V10 I wanted nothing more than to get behind the wheel and drive it but the new M6 didn't have that effect on me. I wasn't very interested in it at all, the performance numbers are hugely impressive but personally I would rather buy an M6 with the 5.5L V10 with 575 horsepower they were supposedly working on than one with the TTV8 even if the V8 gets me further on a tank of gas.

Simply put, for me and for a lot of other enthusiasts the added excitement of a screaming N/A engine outweighs the minor inconvenience of spending a bit more time and money at the pump.
That V10 was built and completed but was never green lighted- closer to 580hp. It was the precursor to the 4.4l S62. The only car to publicly display it was the 25th anniversary edition version of the E 60 M5. But you would have needed a gas tanker to follow you around and that is no fun regardless of the performance offered.
To the OP- The gearing and DI are what gave that Audi motor that suspect MPG- M did not go DI with the high rev engines bc of issues with carbon build up and longevity- they also used close ratio gearing which is ridiculous considering there is NO track you ever would use a short sixth on ( you can occasionally hit 5th for a brief time but that is it on the longest of straights), moving forward I bet they change this thinking and make 6th taller and get that extra few MPG as there is no other reason for it.

Last edited by mapezzul; 07-22-2012 at 09:14 AM.
mapezzul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
M3 Esq
Major
 
M3 Esq's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 1,419
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Meh. The car Motor Trend tested had a curb weight of 3975lbs. No thanks.
M3 Esq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
ATS
Captain
 
ATS's Avatar
 
Drives: B8 S5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 841
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Primarily through direct injection, would be my guess. But that 4.2L direct-injected V8 has been causing reliability problems for Audi owners, I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Audi has some issues with their DI engines.
And BMW hasn't had any problems with their turbo engines???

I applaud Audi for staying with an NA engine for the RS5. Real shame BMW is not doing the same with their latest and upcoming M products.
ATS is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #19
hwelvaar
Major
 
Drives: BMW M135i MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATS View Post
I applaud Audi for staying with an NA engine for the RS5. Real shame BMW is not doing the same with their latest and upcoming M products.
Possibly Audi just don't have the volume/cash for developing a new engine...

BMW is putting their 3L engine in a lot of cars, under a lot of variants.
135i, 335i, 535i, X3 35i, M135i, M340i, M3, M4, 335is, Z4 35is, 1M etc ...
hwelvaar is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #20
mapezzul
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
Possibly Audi just don't have the volume/cash for developing a new engine...

BMW is putting their 3L engine in a lot of cars, under a lot of variants.
135i, 335i, 535i, X3 35i, M135i, M340i, M3, M4, 335is, Z4 35is, 1M etc ...
Bingo- but its more than cash, they have not developed a turbo to replace it in a timely manner. Let's not forget that Audi RS models were always turbo then they more recently used this engine across models to compete with naturally aspirated offerings from BMW and MB bc the turbo RS models were always viewed as lesser cars for being turbo. Now Audi is going to react once more and go FI again.
mapezzul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST