BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
M Pulse
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 141
iTrader: (1)

M3 vs RS5 (Turbo 6 vs Turbo 8)

Anyone think that BMW will surprise us with a slightly detuned version of the turbo-V8 found in the F10 M5 for the upcoming F82? The reason I ask is that M3ís immediate competition is still producing V8ís (RS5, C63, IS-F, CTS-V).

As an example here is how I compare Audi vs BMW:
Audi A4 = BMW 328i/320i
Audi A4 S-Line = BMW 328i Sport Line
Audi S4/S5 = BMW 335is or M335i or 335i with M Sport Package or whatever they end-up calling it
Audi RS5 = BMW M3

Since the RS5 is a turbo V8 do you think BMW will stick a turbo V8 in the F82 M4? Do you think itís possible that the M3 Sedan will come with a turbo V6 to compete with the S4 and the M4 will come with a turbo V8 to compete against the RS5?

I for one would love to see the next gen M3 with a turbo V8 instead of V6. Audi has decided to go with a turbo V8 in the RS5, S6, S7 & S8 so why canít BMW share a slightly different turbo V8 across M3, M5 & M6? I donít think that just because the M5/M6 already come with turbo V8's that the next gen M3 has to drop down to a turbo V6.

What do you guys think?
M Pulse is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
chriscecc914
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1 series
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: US

Posts: 247
iTrader: (0)

Not gonna happen. The engine has already been spied and its clearly inline 6 turbo

See the F80/F82 engine pics here http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744293
chriscecc914 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Boostin FD
Major
 
Boostin FD's Avatar
 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. Louis

Posts: 1,307
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pulse View Post
Anyone think that BMW will surprise us with a slightly detuned version of the turbo-V8 found in the F10 M5 for the upcoming F82? The reason I ask is that M3ís immediate competition is still producing V8ís (RS5, C63, IS-F, CTS-V).

As an example here is how I compare Audi vs BMW:
Audi A4 = BMW 328i/320i
Audi A4 S-Line = BMW 328i Sport Line
Audi S4/S5 = BMW 335is or M335i or 335i with M Sport Package or whatever they end-up calling it
Audi RS5 = BMW M3

Since the RS5 is a turbo V8 do you think BMW will stick a turbo V8 in the F82 M4? Do you think itís possible that the M3 Sedan will come with a turbo V6 to compete with the S4 and the M4 will come with a turbo V8 to compete against the RS5?

I for one would love to see the next gen M3 with a turbo V8 instead of V6. Audi has decided to go with a turbo V8 in the RS5, S6, S7 & S8 so why canít BMW share a slightly different turbo V8 across M3, M5 & M6? I donít think that just because the M5/M6 already come with turbo V8's that the next gen M3 has to drop down to a turbo V6.

What do you guys think?
RS5 is not a turbo v8 dude... do a research first. it's a High reving V8 like M3 has now.
__________________
Boostin FD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
M Pulse
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 141
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
RS5 is not a turbo v8 dude... do a research first. it's a High reving V8 like M3 has now.
Sorry, typo. But my point is that the RS5 is still a V8, along with other competitors. So either BMW is leading the pack in this segment by switching to a turbo V6 or they're going to miss the boat.

I guess time will tell... if sales for the next-gen M3 don't live up to expectations and Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Caddy all continue to have success against the M3 then I wonder if BMW will bring the V8 back?
M Pulse is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Just curious how you'd explain the 911 Turbo or the GTR, both of which are faster than well, just about every naturally aspirated V8. Looking at only the straight line speed differential between the E60 and F10 M5's, I think any fear of the F8x cars being slow misplaced.
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
PGT
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328i M-Sport in Estoril Blue
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Leesburg, VA

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Audi is putting the 4.0T in the new S6 and S8.

edit - just read Audi's specs on the S8; 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and "top track speed" of 130mph. LOL. So, as soon as you pass through the 1/4 mile, you'll hit the governor. That's got to be a misprint.
__________________
| '13 328i M Sport - Estoril Blue | '12 300C SRT8 | '12 Wrangler Rubi Unlimited - COD MW3 Edition|
PGT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
Audi is putting the 4.0T in the new S6 and S8.

edit - just read Audi's specs on the S8; 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and "top track speed" of 130mph. LOL. So, as soon as you pass through the 1/4 mile, you'll hit the governor. That's got to be a misprint.
It's a common governed speed, as it's the approved vMax for H rated tires, which many German sedans are fitted with for comfort, S-Class included. Plus it lets them upcharge for a "performance" package that bumps the governor to 155, the gentlemen's agreement for Autobahn speed limits (250kph).

Many non-sport package BMW's are governed to 130 too. It is odd that an Audi S is governed that low, but I bet it's due to the US tire choice.
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
NISFAN
Brigadier General
 
NISFAN's Avatar
 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

Posts: 3,536
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pulse View Post
Sorry, typo. But my point is that the RS5 is still a V8, along with other competitors. So either BMW is leading the pack in this segment by switching to a turbo V6 or they're going to miss the boat.

I guess time will tell... if sales for the next-gen M3 don't live up to expectations and Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Caddy all continue to have success against the M3 then I wonder if BMW will bring the V8 back?
Inline 6....Inline 6..........NOT a V6

I think you are missing the point of the M3. The C63 for example has had more power than an M3 since it came out a number of years ago (4 years?) 6.2 litre engine vs a 4litre. C63 is such a tail happy car, not fast round a track, too much power.
Unless the new M3/4 goes xDrive it doesn't need a Turbo V8 pushing out 500+ hp. A well sorted inline 6 Turbo will be fine
__________________
NISFAN is online now   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
 
tiltmode43's Avatar
 
Drives: AW F30 328i & IB E85 Z4M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 457
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to tiltmode43
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Pulse View Post
Sorry, typo. But my point is that the RS5 is still a V8, along with other competitors. So either BMW is leading the pack in this segment by switching to a turbo V6 or they're going to miss the boat.

I guess time will tell... if sales for the next-gen M3 don't live up to expectations and Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Caddy all continue to have success against the M3 then I wonder if BMW will bring the V8 back?
Consider the E90 328i & F30 328i. BMW went from NA 6cyl to FI 4cyl but performance/potential was dramatically improved. Don't worry, have faith in the new M3
tiltmode43 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
M Pulse
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 141
iTrader: (1)

I've owned the E92 335i & E92 M3 and there is just something about the V8 that puts a smile on my face every morning. Don't get me wrong, I loved the low-end torque of the 335i but after taking the M3 for a test drive I couldn't leave the showroom without purchasing it. Everyday when I get behind the wheels of the M3 I feel like it's xmas morning. I guess I'm just sad to see the V8 go.

Might have to seriously consider the RS5 when the time comes to trade the M3. I'm such a huge fan of BMW and have never been into the IS-F (fake tailpipes) or C63 (Merc still considered an old man's car), so the closest thing I can see to the M3 is the RS5. I've never owned a Detroit built car so the CTS-V is out of the question for me.

But then all the alternatives (IS-F, RS5, C63) don't come in a traditional manual. Call me old fashion but I still prefer three pedals.

Who am I kidding, I'm not going anywhere BMW somehow I have the feeling I'm going to love the F82 just as much, if not even more than the E92. All I ask is please don't take away my beloved 3rd pedal!!!
M Pulse is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,068
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
C63 is such a tail happy car, not fast round a track, too much power.
Although I only have a little wheel time behind the C63 AMG it received quite good press coverage for its very good handling. Its problem is not too much power nor being particularly prone to oversteer. It is just heavy and perhaps a bit under tired. It is generally within 1-2 seconds per minute around a variety of tracks compared to the M3. In most cases that is more of a drivers race than a race among the cars themselves. So yes the M3 is generally faster on a track with less power but more importantly it has a better power to weight. And just like in a straight line, power to weight is the single best simple (one number) predictor of lap times.

Have a look here for some lap time comparisons.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
PGT
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328i M-Sport in Estoril Blue
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Leesburg, VA

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

there's 200lbs difference between an M3 and C63 Coupe. Not much when you're talking about 400+ hp. The Benz needs bigger rubber in the rear...it's only got 255's on 9" wheels. My E550 Coupe had a 5.5L V8 and also had 255's in the rear and it needed more. 275's fit great on both cars on the stock 19x9's
__________________
| '13 328i M Sport - Estoril Blue | '12 300C SRT8 | '12 Wrangler Rubi Unlimited - COD MW3 Edition|
PGT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
ynotony
Private First Class
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

If the production numbers of the M3 were was small as the RS5 and C63, maybe. I think BMW can't support another super high volume gas guzzler with the new EPA regulations. The RS5 and C63 are not as popular so they are free to be outliers.
ynotony is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
NISFAN
Brigadier General
 
NISFAN's Avatar
 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

Posts: 3,536
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Although I only have a little wheel time behind the C63 AMG it received quite good press coverage for its very good handling. Its problem is not too much power nor being particularly prone to oversteer. It is just heavy and perhaps a bit under tired. It is generally within 1-2 seconds per minute around a variety of tracks compared to the M3. In most cases that is more of a drivers race than a race among the cars themselves. So yes the M3 is generally faster on a track with less power but more importantly it has a better power to weight. And just like in a straight line, power to weight is the single best simple (one number) predictor of lap times.

Have a look here for some lap time comparisons.
No you are right about the C63 power.....afterall.......you CAN NEVER have too much power.

The C63 is nose heavy and tail light, which makes it understeer on turn in, and wildy oversteer under power. With a good driver behind the wheel, the C63 can hustle.

Put an average driver on track in a C63 and an M3 and you will get better times on M3. The M3's balance and idiot proof handling is much better than the C63. The M3 inspires confidence.

C63 is a hoot to drive, shares in a tyre company help, and the raw V8 soundtrack is soooo much better than M3 (IMO of course)
__________________
NISFAN is online now   England
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #15
Gjm127
Lieutenant
 
Gjm127's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 BMW E92
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montreal, QC

Posts: 478
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW E92  [4.83]
But that amazing V8 high-reving scream... You'll never get that from an I6. Yes, I consider sound as a highly important factor when I'll buy my next car.

And that just about does it for me... I'm going with the E92 V8 for my next car for a couple years and switch to the F82 when it'll be in its 3rd year od production.

I have to experience the V8 while it still looks good on the streets!
Gjm127 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,068
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Put an average driver on track in a C63 and an M3 and you will get better times on M3. The M3's balance and idiot proof handling is much better than the C63. The M3 inspires confidence.

C63 is a hoot to drive, shares in a tyre company help, and the raw V8 soundtrack is soooo much better than M3 (IMO of course)
Although I've never seen any such data it sounds very reasonable and likely.

Fully agree on the second point as well.

Cheers.
__________________
E92 M3 | Space Gray on Fox Red | M-DCT | CF Roof | RAC RG63 Wheels | Brembo 380mm BBK |
| Vorsteiner Ti Exhaust | Matte Black Grilles/Side Gills/Rear Emblem/Mirrors |
| Alekshop Back up Camera | GP Thunders | BMW Aluminum Pedals | Elite Angels |
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST