BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-31-2012, 04:52 AM   #67
hwelvaar
Major
 
Drives: BMW M135i MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belgium

Posts: 1,062
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
And no it's not a triumph because the F30 drives worse than the E90.
Says who ?
I thought most automobile journalists praise the new generation F30 for bringing back the joy of driving...
hwelvaar is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #68
adc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

Posts: 4,086
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
Says who ?
I thought most automobile journalists praise the new generation F30 for bringing back the joy of driving...
Quite the opposite. The F30 won a couple of tests by a whisker on the strenghts of the all around package and refinement, being bested dynamically in the process by a few other cars. Including a Cadillac for crying out loud.

In the same tests a few journalists have thought that the E90 might be able to win a test against its newer brother, were they to be pitted against each other.

I drove the F30 of course, needing a new family car. I desperately wanted to like it and didn't. Oh the engine and transmission were masterpieces, but the handling was uninspired, the suspension floaty and the steering inadmissible in a BMW. My wife thought it drove like an Audi, and we skipped it and went for a Mini countryman, which captures the joy of driving in a very practical shell. The problem is, the Mini lacks refinement by comparison, and we didn't get the correct options on the car. Now we may be switching to the X1, which is built on the E91 platform but with the new engine/transmission, which could be the winning ticket.

Anyway, don't listen to journalists, go for a test drive and decide for yourself.

And no, that doesn't actually mean the M3 will be like that, because it has always managed to set itself apart as a driving experience from the cars it was based on. The concern is, the cars it was based on in the past were in themselves brilliant driving tools, and the current ones aren't.
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i
2000 Boxster
adc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #69
Coprolite
Registered
 
Drives: 2012 F30 335
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: texas

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quite the opposite. The F30 won a couple of tests by a whisker on the strenghts of the all around package and refinement, being bested dynamically in the process by a few other cars. Including a Cadillac for crying out loud.

In the same tests a few journalists have thought that the E90 might be able to win a test against its newer brother, were they to be pitted against each other.

I drove the F30 of course, needing a new family car. I desperately wanted to like it and didn't. Oh the engine and transmission were masterpieces, but the handling was uninspired, the suspension floaty and the steering inadmissible in a BMW. My wife thought it drove like an Audi, and we skipped it and went for a Mini countryman, which captures the joy of driving in a very practical shell. The problem is, the Mini lacks refinement by comparison, and we didn't get the correct options on the car. Now we may be switching to the X1, which is built on the E91 platform but with the new engine/transmission, which could be the winning ticket.

Anyway, don't listen to journalists, go for a test drive and decide for yourself.

And no, that doesn't actually mean the M3 will be like that, because it has always managed to set itself apart as a driving experience from the cars it was based on. The concern is, the cars it was based on in the past were in themselves brilliant driving tools, and the current ones aren't.
What model and suspension options did you test drive? With the adjustable settings, ECO/Comfort err towards the luxury side. The other settings make the F30 handle very nicely in comparison to the forefathers.
Coprolite is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #70
adc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

Posts: 4,086
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coprolite View Post
What model and suspension options did you test drive? With the adjustable settings, ECO/Comfort err towards the luxury side. The other settings make the F30 handle very nicely in comparison to the forefathers.
328i sport line, all the electronic configurations. Since I drove it on the street, it's hard to say how it handles at and over the limit, but initial impressions were:
- softer suspension settings across the map
- more lean and float
- extremely light steering effort with zero feedback. Really the worst part of the car
- overall impression w big on comfort, short on dynamic qualities
- and I liked the engine very much...

My previous experience with the E90 chassis includes 2 years with a 335 sport pack, and the F30 didn't handle better in my opinion.
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i
2000 Boxster
adc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #71
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
 
BMRLVR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 2,301
iTrader: (3)

The sound isn't bad, but no S65 for sure.

IMO The 1M sounds awesome with an Akrapovic exhaust, this engine should be no different.

Funny thing is, the so called M purists hate on the inline-6 sound that has been a long standing trademark of the M division........ The first ever real M engine was the M88/1 and it was an inline-6, and one with a ~7K RPM redline at that. For Group 5 racing they turbocharged the M88 and called it the M88/2........ Depending on how they play out this new engine, they can claim to be doing a throw back to the early M racing engines.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
BMRLVR is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #72
Carl L
Captain
 
Carl L's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3 Jerez/Beige DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Coast

Posts: 668
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
The sound isn't bad, but no S65 for sure.

IMO The 1M sounds awesome with an Akrapovic exhaust, this engine should be no different.

Funny thing is, the so called M purists hate on the inline-6 sound that has been a long standing trademark of the M division........ The first ever real M engine was the M88/1 and it was an inline-6, and one with a ~7K RPM redline at that. For Group 5 racing they turbocharged the M88 and called it the M88/2........ Depending on how they play out this new engine, they can claim to be doing a throw back to the early M racing engines.
Good to see something other than doom and gloom being posted, nicely done.
__________________
09 M3 E92: Jerez/Bamboo
-prev M-car: 08 M5
Carl L is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #73
bobodrink
New Member
 
Drives: e92 328xi, f10 520li, e46 330c
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Taiwan, United States

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

i think the 6 will sound good, the nissan gtr's v6 turbo did not mute the sound at all!!!! its a beast that you can hear 10 blocks away!! just hope the m4 will be like that as well (after moding)
bobodrink is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2013 bmw m3, 2013 bmw m4, 2013 m3, 2013 m4, 2014 bmw m3, 2014 bmw m4, 2014 bmw m4 coupe, 2014 m3, 2014 m3 engine, 2014 m3 forum, 2014 m3 torque, 2014 m3 weight, 2014 m4, 2014 m4 coupe, 2014 m4 torque, 2014 m4 weight, 2015 bmw m4, 2015 bmw m4 coupe, 2015 m3 engine, 2015 m4, 2015 m4 coupe, 2015 m4 torque, 2015 m4 weight, bmw f80, bmw f80 forum, bmw f80 forums, bmw f80 m3, bmw f80 m3 engine, bmw f80 m3 sedan, bmw f82, bmw f82 forum, bmw f82 forums, bmw f82 m3, bmw f82 m3 coupe, bmw f82 m3 forum, bmw f82 m4, bmw f82 m4 coupe, bmw f82 m4 engine, bmw f82 render, bmw f82 renders, bmw f82 video, bmw f82 videos, bmw f83, bmw f83 m3, bmw f83 m4, bmw m forum, bmw m forums, bmw m3 n55, bmw m4, bmw m4 coupe, bmw m4 coupe forum, bmw m4 coupe video, bmw m4 coupe videos, bmw m4 forum, bmw m4 forums, bmw m4 n55, bmw m4 render, bmw m4 renders, bmw m4 spy video, bmw m4 video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST