BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #45
RussDC
Private
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

I am with you on that
RussDC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #46
gilbertfg
Turning wrenches for the USA since 2001!
 
gilbertfg's Avatar
 
Drives: W166
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: EP, TX

Posts: 298
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to gilbertfg Send a message via Skype™ to gilbertfg
I don't think an M3 is a good family car. I got rid of my M3 and traded it for X5M. It doesn't have to be an M but, just think about it.
__________________
(SOLD)97 Nissan Sentra, 93 Nissan Nx2000, 98 Nissan Sentra, 02 Nissan Sentra, 03 Nissan 350Z, 03 Dodge Dakota Stampede, 07 e90 328i & 335i, 09 BMW AW e92 M3, 09 Dodge Caliber, 12 LR Range Rover Sports, 12 Nissan Frontier, (STOLEN) 12 X5M, (Current) 04XB12R/Chop, 12 MB ML350, 13 Chevy Sonic
gilbertfg is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #47
Reznick
First Lieutenant
 
Reznick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 ,2000 330
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Syracuse NY

Posts: 383
iTrader: (0)

Divorce her...get what you want
Reznick is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #48
anthracer83
New Member
 
anthracer83's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Get the M3 sedan with DCT transmission. Wife loves driving it, kids love it & so do I. Theirs lots of room for two baby seats in the back & the sedan makes it easier to get them in & out. When the car is empty & its just me & and an open road I have so much fun with the car. E90 M3 is the best all around & would never trade it for anything. Its 2011 so all the issues have been sorted out. Also, that V8 engine is amazing. I believe allot of people will not like the new M3/M4 engine.
MR[/quote]
anthracer83 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #49
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
 
ScarecrowBoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NEB

Posts: 868
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracer83 View Post
Get the M3 sedan with DCT transmission. Wife loves driving it, kids love it & so do I. Theirs lots of room for two baby seats in the back & the sedan makes it easier to get them in & out. When the car is empty & its just me & and an open road I have so much fun with the car. E90 M3 is the best all around & would never trade it for anything. Its 2011 so all the issues have been sorted out. Also, that V8 engine is amazing. I believe allot of people will not like the new M3/M4 engine.
MR
I'm sure it's going to be a major downgrade
__________________
12 BMW 328i
08 Range Rover Sport SC
ScarecrowBoat is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #50
cartaa100
Captain
 
cartaa100's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney

Posts: 663
iTrader: (0)

get the coupe hahaha!
cartaa100 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #51
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,140
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracer83 View Post
I believe allot of E9X M owners will not like the new M3/M4 engine.
MR


Many of those now driving a 335i will get an M3/M4. The NA V8 was on of the main reasons they didn't buy the current M3.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #52
Autotransport1
Banned
 
Drives: Cheap Auto Transport Rates - O
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: usa

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Smile

I think .... It probably depends on the dealer. You should have a receipt and confirmation order form, as well as credit charge, to validate it.
Autotransport1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #53
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,491
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post


Many of those now driving a 335i will get an M3/M4. The NA V8 was on of the main reasons they didn't buy the current M3.
Funny, on M3Post, the NA V8 is the specific reason so many people are buying 2013 M3s.
__________________
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #54
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,140
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Funny, on M3Post, the NA V8 is the specific reason so many people are buying 2013 M3s.
Yes I know. But that is a minority. Most are after "turbos", not "torqueless" high revving engines. I'm among this the like high revs with top end torque. And S65 is even better, it give you torque over the whole rpm band. Well, let us leave it here, I don't want to turn this tread into another never ending "NA vs. FI" debate.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #55
seanwillnotreturn
New Member
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Shanghai

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Guys around here speak like coupe is really better than sedan. Well just forget the fact that E9X proved otherwise in performance. Is it simply true coming down to costume?

To be more specific, the only angle that E92 looks better, is from tail light, which i believe is out of asthetic fatigue as sedan is way more often seen in the street. No mentioning E90 is just a lid (vorsteiner? cant know for sure how many other options out there) change away from looking better, i doubt F80 will still suck at tail.

Try put some aftermarket aero parts somewhere else, lips, spoiler, diffuser, striper, sedan will edge out coupe in costume, i know it for sure.
seanwillnotreturn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #56
Carl L
Captain
 
Carl L's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3 Jerez/Beige DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwillnotreturn View Post
To be more specific, the only angle that E92 looks better, is from tail light, which i believe is out of asthetic fatigue as sedan is way more often seen in the street. .
This is all in your subjective opinion. I much prefer the looks of the E92 (my subjective opinion) but for the next gen I think they've done a good job with the sedan so will wait and see what the ultimate incarnation looks like.
__________________
09 M3 E92: Jerez/Bamboo
-prev M-car: 08 M5
F80 M3 on order
Carl L is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #57
lux
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3 E90 zcp dct
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertfg View Post
I don't think an M3 is a good family car. I got rid of my M3 and traded it for X5M. It doesn't have to be an M but, just think about it.
Have to disagree. It may not be as spacious or carry as much crap as an X5M but it certainly does the job of a family sedan/'sports' car combination especially in e90 configuration. The trade off for lack of space/amenities is a lighter vehicle and better handling. Plus my kids love hearing the NA V8 rev when I drive them around.
__________________
2011 e90 M3 | SSII | FR | ZCP | DCT | Full Akra Evo | AngeliBright
lux is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #58
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,140
iTrader: (0)

Hasn't this thread derived?

Choice between M3 and M4 depends on looks, some think Sedan looks Better, others think Coupé looks better, and it also depends on practicality. Are 4 doors more practical for you? That is all. Maybe performance might be different, but that is a minimal difference that only plays role if you are racing an laptiming. I doubt this is of for importance for the decision between M3 and M4. The only thing is that you will (has yet to be confirmed 100%) get full-LED lights on the M4, while on the M3 you'll have to wait for facelift, of course only in the case F80 and F82 front are different. But I think it would be weird if they gave both M3 and M4 the same face while different name. So I guess there'll be a difference.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #59
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
 
Yay-Z's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3/F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Midland / Houston, TX

Posts: 432
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
Happy wife makes for happy life...go with god my son and get the M3 sedan.
Preach man, Preach
__________________
2011 E90 M3 DCT
2013 F30 328i SAT
2011 E92 335i 6MT (Gone, will be missed)
Yay-Z is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #60
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,245
iTrader: (0)

I thought I'd read on here somewhere that BMW was not going to offer a M3 sedan in the F-series, only an M4 was what I tought. But I must be mistaken.

That said, regarding the wife/children issue, if you have another car, get the coupe and be done. I'm sure on the few occasions you have to cart the kids around and she at the same time needs to drive someplace else, you could drive the other car and let her drive the coupe. Or you can just put a car seat in the back of the coupe. You'd only have an issue if you have quadruplets, for I doubt the F82 will have 3 positions in the rear seeing as the E92 didn't. LOL But then if you have quads, neither car will fit the bill if your whole family has to travel together.

You had an E92, so you know that the back seat is far roomier and more accessible than one would expect for a coupe. Indeed, the room and utility of the rear of the 335, and no other single factor, is why I went with a 3 and not a 6. (I can't lie though and say I didn't think the 3 coupe looked better than the prior generation 6, but if the 6 had reasonable rear seat room, I'd have gotten over the looks difference because I really did want a 6er.) There's no denying that the F82 will be a sexier car than the sedan variant and more enjoyable as a result.

The short of it is that if you have kids, you need to have one car that can accommodate your whole family, but every car you have doesn't have to do that. And I'm speaking from experience. I have three kids, though two are grown and in college. But when they were all three youngsters, I had a coupe for me, and we had the huge S-Class hand-me-down from my parents that could also accommodate all of us around town, such as going out to dinner, or to a movie, or to church. Later on, I bought an SUV for family camping trips and trips to the shore, and for hauling stuff when we tried our hand at assorted DIY home improvements.

We just kept a set of car seats in the coupe and in sedan, and later in the sedan and in the SUV. A good thing is that I only ever had two at a time needing car seats.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #61
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,491
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I thought I'd read on here somewhere that BMW was not going to offer a M3 sedan in the F-series, only an M4 was what I tought. But I must be mistaken.

That said, regarding the wife/children issue, if you have another car, get the coupe and be done. I'm sure on the few occasions you have to cart the kids around and she at the same time needs to drive someplace else, you could drive the other car and let her drive the coupe. Or you can just put a car seat in the back of the coupe. You'd only have an issue if you have quadruplets, for I doubt the F82 will have 3 positions in the rear seeing as the E92 didn't. LOL But then if you have quads, neither car will fit the bill if your whole family has to travel together.

You had an E92, so you know that the back seat is far roomier and more accessible than one would expect for a coupe. Indeed, the room and utility of the rear of the 335, and no other single factor, is why I went with a 3 and not a 6. (I can't lie though and say I didn't think the 3 coupe looked better than the prior generation 6, but if the 6 had reasonable rear seat room, I'd have gotten over the looks difference because I really did want a 6er.) There's no denying that the F82 will be a sexier car than the sedan variant and more enjoyable as a result.

The short of it is that if you have kids, you need to have one car that can accommodate your whole family, but every car you have doesn't have to do that. And I'm speaking from experience. I have three kids, though two are grown and in college. But when they were all three youngsters, I had a coupe for me, and we had the huge S-Class hand-me-down from my parents that could also accommodate all of us around town, such as going out to dinner, or to a movie, or to church. Later on, I bought an SUV for family camping trips and trips to the shore, and for hauling stuff when we tried our hand at assorted DIY home improvements.

We just kept a set of car seats in the coupe and in sedan, and later in the sedan and in the SUV. A good thing is that I only ever had two at a time needing car seats.

A year or so back, it was thought that there would be no M3 F80 sedan. But obviously that has changed.

As a former E92 M3 owner with two young kids, let me tell you.. it is not ideal. I even had a 4 door daily driver, plus my wife has her own car/SUV.

If you've got kids (assume your wife works), they need to go to school, wherever. So you'll not want to be hauling them in an M3/M4 coupe. It's just a pain with car seats. Sure you're not going to fit 3 kids in the back of either a 3er sedan, nor coupe. But the coupe is just not family friendly. My new F30 does much better in this regard. I could use another few inches of rear legroom to accommodate my rear-facing car seat, but that's a problem that will fix itself eventually.
__________________
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #62
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,245
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
...As a former E92 M3 owner with two young kids, let me tell you.. it is not ideal. I even had a 4 door daily driver, plus my wife has her own car/SUV.
No, it's not ideal, but then neither is spending $60K+ on a car that isn't really what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
If you've got kids (assume your wife works), they need to go to school, wherever. So you'll not want to be hauling them in an M3/M4 coupe.
Kids, sure, but one kid, what's so bad about using the rear facing car seat in the front seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
It's just a pain with car seats. Sure you're not going to fit 3 kids in the back of either a 3er sedan, nor coupe. But the coupe is just not family friendly. My new F30 does much better in this regard. I could use another few inches of rear legroom to accommodate my rear-facing car seat, but that's a problem that will fix itself eventually.
I think you missed part about if he has another car. It seems pretty straightforward to me. Whoever doesn't have to cart the kid/kids wherever, drives the coupe. If he doesn't already have a car that can handle the car seats, then sure, a coupe may not be the best idea. But then as you said, the problem of car seats eventually goes away. In which case how long one plans to keep the car is really the thing.

In any case, I didn't say I liked putting the car seat in the back of my coupe. But the quantity of times I needed to do that over some 10 years or so was maybe 20. All the rest of the time, I was driving a car I liked, hell, I liked driving it when the kids were in it. I just didn't like dealing with the car seat aspect on those few occasions.

Let's face it having kids means (for the typical person) your life becomes about compromise and giving up things. And I knew that going in. So, I decided I could bear a little personal convenience on my part with the car seat thing on the few occasions I had to accept the nuisance of using them in my coupe, and in return have a car I really wanted and enjoyed all those other times. And yes, sometimes my wife drove the coupe and I hauled the kids around in the sedan. But that was OK too because still for some 300+ days of the year, I was still happily speeding down the road in my coupe that I really, really enjoyed.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #63
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,491
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
No, it's not ideal, but then neither is spending $60K+ on a car that isn't really what you want.
Not sure who you are referring to with the $60K+ car that isn't what they want? I loved my M3, and enjoy my current car just as much. Obviously in a different way.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Kids, sure, but one kid, what's so bad about using the rear facing car seat in the front seat?
Rear facing car seat in the front seat is not very safe, even with the front airbag turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I think you missed part about if he has another car. It seems pretty straightforward to me. Whoever doesn't have to cart the kid/kids wherever, drives the coupe. If he doesn't already have a car that can handle the car seats, then sure, a coupe may not be the best idea. But then as you said, the problem of car seats eventually goes away. In which case how long one plans to keep the car is really the thing.

In any case, I didn't say I liked putting the car seat in the back of my coupe. But the quantity of times I needed to do that over some 10 years or so was maybe 20. All the rest of the time, I was driving a car I liked, hell, I liked driving it when the kids were in it. I just didn't like dealing with the car seat aspect on those few occasions.

Let's face it having kids means (for the typical person) your life becomes about compromise and giving up things. And I knew that going in. So, I decided I could bear a little personal convenience on my part with the car seat thing on the few occasions I had to accept the nuisance of using them in my coupe, and in return have a car I really wanted and enjoyed all those other times. And yes, sometimes my wife drove the coupe and I hauled the kids around in the sedan. But that was OK too because still for some 300+ days of the year, I was still happily speeding down the road in my coupe that I really, really enjoyed.
Everyone's situation is different, but there are lots of times when my wife may take the kids to school, and I pick them up. Which means one person (car) can't be the "kid hauler" for the day.
__________________
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #64
Jack28
HUSTLER
 
Jack28's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So/Ca Los Angeles

Posts: 1,319
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Jack28
When it comes to my M3's, I've always had the coupe since my E36 to current. Just been a coupe kinda guy especially when it comes to the M3. Therefore I'm definitely waiting for the COUPE!! I'll leave the G-Wagon for the family and Kids(someday) and wifey
__________________

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Jack28 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #65
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver BC Canada

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Hasn't this thread derived?..... Like Levi said!!

I would venture to say the final decision will be your wife's !! The rest of the jib-jab here is just that!! Does your wife actually read the posts here????..not

Let's throw triplets into the equation !!. hooped !!

IMHO.. the M4 will be stunning and will include all the premium options BMW can throw at us!!! Can't wait for 2014 !! I agree with one comment.... don't buy the 1st models made!! Problems and more options will be available after initial launch!! (BMW history!!!)

I have "M4-EVER" reserved for future plates!! lol lol
M6-4KIX is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #66
TitanG545
New Member
 
Drives: 2005 BMW 545i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Sounds like your buddy should buy some balls instead.
Sounds about right, I was in a similar boat wanted an S7 but wife thinks it is to big. I decided to compromise and look at a fully loaded RS5, but looking at the 4 series I am rethinking the RS5. I sure hope the M4 puts down some serious power otherwise RS5 for me. My pick is get the M3.
TitanG545 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2014 bmw m3, 2014 m3, 2014 m3 forum, 2015 bmw m3, 2015 bmw m4, 2015 m3, 2015 m4, bmw f80, bmw f80 forum, bmw f80 forums, bmw f80 m3, bmw f80 m3 sedan, bmw f82, bmw f82 forum, bmw f82 forums, bmw f82 m3, bmw f82 m3 coupe, bmw f82 m3 forum, bmw f82 m4, bmw f82 m4 coupe, bmw f83, bmw f83 m3, bmw f83 m4, bmw m forum, bmw m forums, bmw m4, bmw m4 coupe, bmw m4 coupe forum, bmw m4 forum, bmw m4 forums, f80, f80 forum, f80 forums, f80 m3, f80 m3 forum, f80 m3 forums, f80 m3 sedan, f82, f82 coupe, f82 forum, f82 forums, f82 m3, f82 m3 coupe, f82 m3 forum, f82 m4, f82 m4 coupe, f82 m4 forum, f82 m4 forums, f83 m3, f83 m4, m forum, m forums, m3 f80, m3 f80 forum, m3 f80 forums, m4 forum, m4 forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST