BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: RC F or M4
RC F 9 9.68%
M4 68 73.12%
Too early to tell 16 17.20%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #45
tdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 335i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsault270 View Post
Where the hell have i been under a rock? This thing is 100K!!?
Seriously. There has to be something big missing we don't know about for it to hit 6 figures. I'd think it would be priced less than the M3 to be competitive unless it has some insane tech that makes it run in GTR territory.
tdizzle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #46
karbonphiber
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2015 AW M4
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto

Posts: 192
iTrader: (0)

the only car right now that i would consider over the M4 is an RS5.
karbonphiber is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #47
The Fatal Gamer
Banned
 
Drives: Greatest M
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: World

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Sorry, who would think that this will be a fair poll in the M4 forum?

The ISF does look like the predator though.
The Fatal Gamer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #48
Ash Williams
Groovy
 
Drives: '13 BRZ
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Obviously Lexus isn't known for making performance cars, and that hasn't really ever been their target market until now. However, Lexus cars are essentially just fancy Toyotas, and there once was a time when Toyota made great sports cars. The lead designer on this car I read used to be on the Supra team, which is a good sign. The 86/BRZ is a great little car, and has gotten amazing reviews across the board (as a BRZ owner perhaps biased about the first statement there, but the second is objective). Personally I hope that this car is a big hit and leads a comeback for serious Japanese sports cars.

The styling is pretty controversial--I hate the grill as well, but love the rest of the car. That interior is just gorgeous. Love that it's a naturally aspirated V8, very powerful, lots of torque.

Obviously the arguments have already started about its performance vs. other cars, particularly the new M4--no one has tested either so it's all just speculation at this point. I think if it's as heavy as everyone predicts it will be it will be more comparable to an RS5 than an M4. It's easy to dismiss the Lexus since they don't have the sports car "heritage" that the Germans have, but anyone who's been paying attention to auto publications knows that BMW has been losing favor to competitors, including Lexus (the new IS beat the 335i in a recent Car and Driver comparison test), and, dare I say it, Cadillac (Motor Trend but the ATS ahead of the 335i and C350, CTS came in 2nd ahead of 535i and E350, behind the A6).

In any case it would be silly to choose any poll option besides "Too early to tell," because, well, it is. Obviously you'd expect a BMW forum to favor the M4, but I'm pretty surprised at the utter dismissal of the RC F by some. Sure I understand the opinion that it looks ugly, but aren't you more interested in how it feels to drive?
Ash Williams is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #49
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
 
s4play's Avatar
 
Drives: too many rides....
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norcal

Posts: 919
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
You guys are so biased LOL!

I am a past IS-F owner and can honestly say the IS-F is a more liveable car for DD then the e90 M3 DCT. Love Lexus products and BMW as well. Both have good and negatives.

Lexus paint is very thin and metal is also thin, certainly does not have the feel of a BMW or Mercedes. Qualiy is un-surpassed though something BMW can learn from, also their customer service is top top notch.

Personally I like the styling of the BMW more so I ordered an new M3 sedan but the RC-F has potential. The dealbreaker for me is the auto tranny only option. Too bad Lexus does not get this part that BMW still understands.
__________________
04 GPW/Onyx NSX
05 AW B5 s4
09 GPW s2000
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
s4play is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #50
Ash Williams
Groovy
 
Drives: '13 BRZ
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
You guys are so biased LOL!

I am a past IS-F owner and can honestly say the IS-F is a more liveable car for DD then the e90 M3 DCT.
DD livability has never been an M3 objective though, as far as I can tell.
Ash Williams is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #51
Powaup
Major
 
Powaup's Avatar
 
Drives: 6MT F82 M4
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oakland, CA

Posts: 1,439
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Williams View Post
Obviously Lexus isn't known for making performance cars, and that hasn't really ever been their target market until now. However, Lexus cars are essentially just fancy Toyotas, and there once was a time when Toyota made great sports cars. The lead designer on this car I read used to be on the Supra team, which is a good sign. The 86/BRZ is a great little car, and has gotten amazing reviews across the board (as a BRZ owner perhaps biased about the first statement there, but the second is objective). Personally I hope that this car is a big hit and leads a comeback for serious Japanese sports cars.

The styling is pretty controversial--I hate the grill as well, but love the rest of the car. That interior is just gorgeous. Love that it's a naturally aspirated V8, very powerful, lots of torque.

Obviously the arguments have already started about its performance vs. other cars, particularly the new M4--no one has tested either so it's all just speculation at this point. I think if it's as heavy as everyone predicts it will be it will be more comparable to an RS5 than an M4. It's easy to dismiss the Lexus since they don't have the sports car "heritage" that the Germans have, but anyone who's been paying attention to auto publications knows that BMW has been losing favor to competitors, including Lexus (the new IS beat the 335i in a recent Car and Driver comparison test), and, dare I say it, Cadillac (Motor Trend but the ATS ahead of the 335i and C350, CTS came in 2nd ahead of 535i and E350, behind the A6).

In any case it would be silly to choose any poll option besides "Too early to tell," because, well, it is. Obviously you'd expect a BMW forum to favor the M4, but I'm pretty surprised at the utter dismissal of the RC F by some. Sure I understand the opinion that it looks ugly, but aren't you more interested in how it feels to drive?
Lexus should have never said it was an M4 killer... But i'm looking forward to the competition and comparison videos, If the RC-F is $5,000 less than a similarly equipped M4 things should be pretty interesting.

I personally will never be able to get over the console in the Lexus and the fact that only an auto is offered not even DCT but I think it will appeal to those who want a really aggressive and futuristic looking car that will scare bystanders at night
__________________

CSUN 2013 17/80 @ FSAE West Lincoln, Nebraska
Powaup is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #52
BlackLight
Second Lieutenant
 
BlackLight's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Surrey, BC

Posts: 234
iTrader: (1)

Exclamation Excuse me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Williams View Post
DD livability has never been an M3 objective though, as far as I can tell.
It is its strength!
A car that is able to do all; track, comfort, luxury, without breaking a sweat.
BlackLight is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #53
Powaup
Major
 
Powaup's Avatar
 
Drives: 6MT F82 M4
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oakland, CA

Posts: 1,439
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fatal Gamer View Post
Sorry, who would think that this will be a fair poll in the M4 forum?

The ISF does look like the predator though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
You guys are so biased LOL!

I am a past IS-F owner and can honestly say the IS-F is a more liveable car for DD then the e90 M3 DCT. Love Lexus products and BMW as well. Both have good and negatives.

Lexus paint is very thin and metal is also thin, certainly does not have the feel of a BMW or Mercedes. Qualiy is un-surpassed though something BMW can learn from, also their customer service is top top notch.

Personally I like the styling of the BMW more so I ordered an new M3 sedan but the RC-F has potential. The dealbreaker for me is the auto tranny only option. Too bad Lexus does not get this part that BMW still understands.

I checked the Club Lexus forum quite a few people prefer the M4 although they have their share of bias opinions as well.

Carbuzz, which is more of a neutral site heavily favored the M4.

M4 wins the paper battle for now but we shall see once test drives begin, after all the 911 turbo was tied in the paper battle against the GTR in 2007 but the GTR lapped the ring in a faster time. Competition is always good it will help keep prices down but more importantly it will bring the best out of not only BMW and Toyota but also the other car manufacturers with upcoming vehicles in that segment

Then hopefully we can get LED taillights on BMWs pre-LCI lol
__________________

CSUN 2013 17/80 @ FSAE West Lincoln, Nebraska
Powaup is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #54
Ash Williams
Groovy
 
Drives: '13 BRZ
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLight View Post
It is its strength!
A car that is able to do all; track, comfort, luxury, without breaking a sweat.
Well comfort and luxury are almost always going to come at the expense of performance, so the balance has to be carefully considered. Personally I'd love a sort of M3 equivalent to the 911 GT3 that is purely track focused.

And yes I know there are some limited edition M3s but those are impossible to get your hands on.
Ash Williams is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #55
phrozen06
NA V8
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Drives: 01 330ci, 08 M3 DCT, 08 VW R32
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 3927'33"N 7758'04"W W. Virgina, Kansas

Posts: 1,429
iTrader: (1)

Toyota finally makes a supra replacement. its about time.
__________________
phrozen06 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #56
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
 
s4play's Avatar
 
Drives: too many rides....
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norcal

Posts: 919
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Williams View Post
DD livability has never been an M3 objective though, as far as I can tell.
Maybe I was not being clear, I NEVER said the M3 is not a liveable car, I love the car and it's got road feel unlike the IS-F.

My only grip is the DCT tranny sucks when driven in slow traffic. It hiccups and just not a smart tranny with rough shift points.

The IS-F 8-speed auto has no such problems for DD although it may not be the best tranny for the track.


Recently I drove the 2014 Pana DCT and that thing is P E R F E C T!
__________________
04 GPW/Onyx NSX
05 AW B5 s4
09 GPW s2000
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
s4play is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #57
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,215
iTrader: (0)

I had a 1992 Lexus SC300 as my NYC daily driver for a number of years. It was one of the best cars I ever owned. It felt like it had been carved out of a solid block of steel. I replaced it with a 2007 BMW 335i which is a good car but lacks the refinement of the Lexus and IMO does not have the level of build quality that the SC300 had. I haven't driven any of the newer Lexus models but if the RC-F is the successor to the SC300/400 it will be a very good car.
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2014, 02:24 AM   #58
solstice
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,826
iTrader: (0)

Looking at the engine, weight and transmission it looks like Toyota is after AMG customers and not M3 fans. Just imagine if the F80 was 4000 lbs with a slush box only and a 7300 rpm redline. What M3 fan would buy it? None.

If Toyota built a truly competitive drivers car with the looks to back it up I'd be the first to jump ship. I'm no fan of where BMW is going but with this kind of competition there really are no alternatives.

Last edited by solstice; 01-11-2014 at 02:31 AM.
solstice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #59
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,785
iTrader: (1)

RC F Stance Vs M4 Stance

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-2152725/

I'm not a huge fan of this car, and would much prefer the new M3/4 but why does BMW refuse to stance their cars nicely?

Look at the gap between wheel and fender and offset of the wheels.
CSanto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #60
JoeFromPA
Captain
 
Drives: e39 m5
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SE PA

Posts: 703
iTrader: (0)

#1 - offers them opportunities to sell more expensive wheel/tire packages
#2 - "stancing" can be detrimental to performance, as it's important to have adequate suspension travel
JoeFromPA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #61
dhoggm3
Captain
 
dhoggm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, 95 M3 Runner
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA

Posts: 805
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Looking at the engine, weight and transmission it looks like Toyota is after AMG customers and not M3 fans. Just imagine if the F80 was 4000 lbs with a slush box only and a 7300 rpm redline. What M3 fan would buy it? None.

If Toyota built a truly competitive drivers car with the looks to back it up I'd be the first to jump ship. I'm no fan of where BMW is going but with this kind of competition there really are no alternatives.
This.
__________________

AA Signature Cat-Back, Powerchip, MS Filter, AA Pulley, Fikse Profil 13 wheels with spacers
dhoggm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bmw, detroit, f82, lexus, rcf

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST