BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Would you get a mid-year '15 M4 or just wait 6 mos on '16 M4 ?
No way, I want it ASAP, I would get the mid year '15 32 52.46%
That's crazy, 1st year model will have problems worked out in the '16. I would wait 29 47.54%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
absoluteis350
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: audi RS4
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: boston

Posts: 276
iTrader: (0)

Preference- Late model '15 M4 vs early '16 M4?

Given the option of getting a '15 M4 mid year, or waiting another 6 months for the '16 M4, which would most people do? Personally, from an emotional standpoint, I'm not sure I can wait. That's also 6 months closer to the time the car will look old due to the model refresh.
absoluteis350 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
fabolous
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 1M coupe
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

I dont think the MY16 will come out until mid 2015 at the earliest (which is a year later, not 6 months)
__________________
11 1M /11 Panamera 4s/ 13 911 cab / 08 Range Rover HSE/10 GTI *sold*/08 BMW e93 M3 Melbourne DCT*sold* / 10 S5 cab *sold*
08 MB S550 Andorite w/AMG *sold*
03 BMW Z4 TitanSilver *sold*06 BMW 330 AlpineWhite *sold*05 Audi A8 SWB *sold*
08 RS4 Phantom black w/ exclusive*sold*
fabolous is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
dmk08
///Maniac
 
dmk08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 1,523
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Lease a 15 - trade it in on Comp Pack purchase when it comes out. That's my plan.
dmk08 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,011
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabolous View Post
I dont think the MY16 will come out until mid 2015 at the earliest (which is a year later, not 6 months)
He was talking about it from the perspective of an actual plan for a mid-model-year purchase, not buying today or soon.
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - M-DCT
2011 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen - DSG
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
fabolous
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 1M coupe
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
He was talking about it from the perspective of an actual plan for a mid-model-year purchase, not buying today or soon.
I understand now. I personally would buy sooner. Usually with new cars they can have alterations during the MY and doesnt necessarily have to be when the MY changeover.

When i got my 991 almost a year into production there were lots of little differences through the year. my is a MY13 built in late september. Starting a month later (still MY13 obviously) there were un-retrofitable changes with the navi/audio system. Kind of annoying but what can ya do?? Just buy and stop worrying about those things. Unless youre willing to spend lots of bucks you will always be chasing the latest.
__________________
11 1M /11 Panamera 4s/ 13 911 cab / 08 Range Rover HSE/10 GTI *sold*/08 BMW e93 M3 Melbourne DCT*sold* / 10 S5 cab *sold*
08 MB S550 Andorite w/AMG *sold*
03 BMW Z4 TitanSilver *sold*06 BMW 330 AlpineWhite *sold*05 Audi A8 SWB *sold*
08 RS4 Phantom black w/ exclusive*sold*
fabolous is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Drift Master
Enlisted Member
 
Drift Master's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

There will always be something new!!!!

Thats what the warranty is for. If anything needs fixed they will recall it and i dont mind having a loaner for a day till i get it fixed. Most updates are not that important if u plan to drive it on the streets. The comp pakage will matter somewhat when u are on the track. Enjoy it today and stop thinking about the future and if it matters that much you can trade it in 2 years latter.

Drive it like you stole it for 2 years
Drift Master is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
absoluteis350
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: audi RS4
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: boston

Posts: 276
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
Thats what the warranty is for. If anything needs fixed they will recall it and i dont mind having a loaner for a day till i get it fixed. Most updates are not that important if u plan to drive it on the streets. The comp pakage will matter somewhat when u are on the track. Enjoy it today and stop thinking about the future and if it matters that much you can trade it in 2 years latter.

Drive it like you stole it for 2 years
Thanks
absoluteis350 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
RealStig
Banned
 
RealStig's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NJ

Posts: 503
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Lease a 15 - trade it in on Comp Pack purchase when it comes out. That's my plan.
How do you trade in a lease? You can only do a lease take over, and there is no way you'll get anyone to take that expensive lease payment in 2 years when residuals will be a lot higher. Not unless you are giving away financial incentive (like 100 bucks off from the payment as cash - which would work, but would cost you a lot of money).
RealStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,842
iTrader: (0)

First year models are to spot and to fix the issues for any manufacturer and especially for this generation M3/M4 with so much (some new) technology loaded in these cars. So, I would wait for a 2016 model if possible.

Finance-wise advantages in some markets where lease is popular, more color choices including frozen colors, a probable Competition Package, some options becoming standard equipment etc. are among side benefits that one can hope for while waiting too.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, P3Cars, OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 02-19-2014 at 02:10 PM.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
UK6
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: X6, F30 & F82 soon.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK

Posts: 245
iTrader: (0)

If you want to wait, why not wait till the next generation, maybe the one after.
UK6 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
Carl L
Lieutenant
 
Carl L's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3 Jerez/Beige DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 538
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
First year models are "to spot and to fix the issues" for any manufacturer and especially for this generation M3/M4 with so much (some new) technology loaded in these cars. So, I would wait for a 2016 model if possible.
Why the quotes? This seems to be nothing more than your opinion....
__________________
09 M3 E92: Jerez/Bamboo
-prev M-car: 08 M5
Here to learn about the F80
Carl L is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
CanAutM3
Colonel
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 SS2 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 2,733
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Given the option of getting a '15 M4 mid year, or waiting another 6 months for the '16 M4, which would most people do? Personally, from an emotional standpoint, I'm not sure I can wait. That's also 6 months closer to the time the car will look old due to the model refresh.
It is the other way around, the 2015 MY is likely to get a very long production run (15+ months) before the 2016 MY comes out. I don't want to wait that long
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
Needsdecaf
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
 
Drives: Porsche Tractor
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX

Posts: 1,585
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Why the quotes? This seems to be nothing more than your opinion....
Please. Look at any of the new models BMW or any manufacturers have released. The first customers are always the final testers.

I have owned a first MY car for 2004, 2007, 2011. Believe me, they all had their issues. The Acura (2007) was the best, the BMW and Volvo were tied for last. Easily 1/2 dozen issues or updates.

F10 BMW:

Steering pull to the right
Bluetooth mics - switched suppliers
Extreme throttle lag - recalibrated
Recalibrated steering
Added Combox
Electrical drain problems.
Needsdecaf is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
BRAISKI
Colonel
 
BRAISKI's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GTA/KW, Canada

Posts: 2,284
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Please. Look at any of the new models BMW or any manufacturers have released. The first customers are always the final testers.

I have owned a first MY car for 2004, 2007, 2011. Believe me, they all had their issues. The Acura (2007) was the best, the BMW and Volvo were tied for last. Easily 1/2 dozen issues or updates.

F10 BMW:

Steering pull to the right
Bluetooth mics - switched suppliers
Extreme throttle lag - recalibrated
Recalibrated steering
Added Combox
Electrical drain problems.
It will never "right" the first time plus they will also have better packages. Example my N55 e92 came with the Individual Sound for the Executive Package.

For now I'm happy with my N55 335xi then after I'm tired with it about 2-3 yrs then I will get the M4, the N55 will be my winter beater

Last edited by BRAISKI; 02-19-2014 at 11:40 AM.
BRAISKI is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
ss134
Brigadier General
 
ss134's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 DCT & COOPER S
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany/UK

Posts: 3,035
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
First year models are "to spot and to fix the issues" for any manufacturer and especially for this generation M3/M4 with so much (some new) technology loaded in these cars. So, I would wait for a 2016 model if possible.

Finance-wise advantages in some markets where lease is popular, more color choices including frozen colors, a probable Competition Package, some options becoming standard equipment etc. are among side benefits that one can hope for too.
First year models are not to spot and fix issues at all. The car will have been tested extensively before release. If any unforeseen faults do develop they will be fixed under warranty.

I see you own a 1M- this was only produced for just over a year so by your logic no one should have risked buying this car?!
__________________
2011 AW E90 M3 DCT - Current
2010 JZB E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
ss134 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,842
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
First year models are not to spot and fix issues at all. The car will have been tested extensively before release. If any unforeseen faults do develop they will be fixed under warranty.

I see you own a 1M- this was only produced for just over a year so by your logic no one should have risked buying this car?!
Logic?

More like apples to oranges and let me explain why I say so:

We all knew 1M would be limited, long before it was available and it would be limited at least by the time frame that it would be built. BMW even modified its plans and ended up building over 6000 instead of around 2700 which was the initial plan. So, it was a situation of you either go and buy it and do it quickly or not and like most owners I did order mine without even seeing one, in fact before the production started; because I knew what I wanted very well and given the conditions I accepted the risks.

On the other hand, F80/F82 will be produced for how long? Probably at least 5 model years, maybe even more. We know that as a fact too. So, potential buyers have a choice here in terms of waiting or not which is all this thread is about, isn't it?

Another detail: 1M was a parts bin car (a great one but still), most of its significant components were tested extensively for a good deal of time...unlike the F80/F82.

I would skip the first year unless I can't wait due to some important financial reason. That is my opinion, nothing more nothing less. I happily read others as long as they are provided with its own logic as well.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, P3Cars, OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 02-19-2014 at 02:12 PM.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #17
stefan
Colonel
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

Posts: 2,124
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
If BMW follows traditional fashion, it would be wise to wait for the second year of production.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
stefan is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #18
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,842
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Why the quotes? This seems to be nothing more than your opinion....
Sorry, didn't want to imply at all that they are anything more than my opinions, I should write it differently. Already edited that post.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, P3Cars, OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #19
Carl L
Lieutenant
 
Carl L's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3 Jerez/Beige DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 538
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Sorry, didn't want to imply at all that they are anything more than my opinions, I should write it differently.
No apology necessary, was just confusing so thanks for clearing it up bud.
__________________
09 M3 E92: Jerez/Bamboo
-prev M-car: 08 M5
Here to learn about the F80
Carl L is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #20
ss134
Brigadier General
 
ss134's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 DCT & COOPER S
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany/UK

Posts: 3,035
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Logic?

More like apples to oranges and let me explain why I say so:

We all knew 1M would be limited, long before it was available and it would be limited at least by the time frame that it would be built. BMW even modified its plans and ended up building over 6000 instead of around 2700 which was the initial plan. So, it was a situation of you either go and buy it and do it quickly or not and like most owners I did order mine without even seeing one, in fact before the production started; because I knew what I wanted very well and given the conditions I accepted the risks.

On the other hand, F80/F82 will be produced for how long? Probably at least 5 model years, maybe even more. We know that as a fact too. So, potential buyers have a choice here in terms of waiting or not which is all this thread is about, isn't it?

Another detail: 1M was a parts bin car (a great one but still), most of its significant components were tested extensively for a good deal of time...unlike the F80/F82.

I would skip the first year unless I can't wait due to some important financial reason. That is my opinion, nothing more nothing less. I happily read others as long as they are provided with its own logic as well.
The fact is that your statement of ' first year models are for manufacturers to spot and fix problems ' is just incorrect.
No manufacturer puts out it's first year models to let their customers be the guinea pigs and then spot and fix the problems that arise . They would go out of business.
Of course, first year models are more likely to have issues and obviously the manufacturers will remedy those issues for subsequent years.
If this is what you meant then we agree but you should have articulated your point better.
If you genuinely believe that manufacturers release cars in the first year to customers so they can spot and fix problems then I will say again, no they don't - you are wrong.
__________________
2011 AW E90 M3 DCT - Current
2010 JZB E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
ss134 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #21
nicknaz
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2012 Z4 35i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 3,462
iTrader: (0)

I'm planning for late model '15 because hopefully there will be some dealers with leftover allocation who are willing to do a deal close to euro delivery invoice because it is close to the model year change over....
nicknaz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #22
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 5,998
iTrader: (0)

im hoping they will have HUD as a separate feature that can be bought stand alone in the future...maybe i wont be able to get an m4. lol.
__________________

When is this episode coming?!
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST