GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
330indy
CCA member
330indy's Avatar
United_States
133
Rep
1,523
Posts

Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

Question Do you think the F80/82 will look dated?

It is a bold/new design.
....it has been said it has a big "bottom"... rear flares.
The front (pedestrian safety) shape is blunt ...
Many rushed to say it's hot, no doubt.

That concerns me because when I 'immediately' like something it fades just as quickly. The cars (and other product designs, not to mention music) I have loved over the years were a gradual warmup, romance, whatever. They grew on me, and stuck.

How do you think it will hold up over the years?
The jury is out for me at least.
I'm curious about honest impressions from current Bimmer owners, sans the fanboy rhetoric, please.
__________________
E36/7 Z3 - Conforti "sharked"
E46 - Dinan Stage3, Corsa TSE3
E92 M3 - Corsa
S = k. log W
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Boostin FD
Lieutenant Colonel
Boostin FD's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
1,694
Posts

Drives: R8 v10
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth

iTrader: (2)

other than the headlights... it's so similar to e92... so It's already dated. HA!
__________________
Current: Audi R8 v10 6spd
Past: 15 M4, 13 RS5, 09 M3
04 M3, 09 S5, 02 M3...
Some others
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
EMpunker
M3 Veteran
EMpunker's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: Daily Driver
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

All cars end up looking dated in one way or another.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
solstice
Major General
1063
Rep
5,258
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

I think the bold design of especially the M3 will save it from premature aging. The base car is a problem due to it's rather generic evolutionary look.The E60 was a very bold change for BMW and due to that I think the E60 still look edgy and modern. The F10 is quite beautiful but I don't think an F10 M5 has more visual impact than the E60 M5.

I think the M3 will age ok due to it's unusal wide rear fenders. Something that always looked good but has not been used much in the older BMW cars and therefore will keep it looking fresh for quite a while.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
337
Rep
10,520
Posts

Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: VBeach VA

iTrader: (0)

Compared to the i-8 ...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
2326
Rep
17,002
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMpunker View Post
All cars end up looking dated in one way or another.
This.

You also have to realize that, just because you have a romantic affection for a car does not mean that it won't look outdated by the majority of the population. With very few exceptions, to the typical eye, old cars look old and new cars look new. It's just the way it is - it's the designers and engineers doing their jobs.

If you are hoping to buy an F8x (or any car) with the notion that "This is the one. I'm committing for life", well it's a nice fantasy, but it's going to wear off. You'll want the next great thing, or at best, if you really have some patience, the next great one after that. Just buy the car knowing you'll get a few good years from it, drive the hell out of it while you have it, and just be happy you get to experience it for that time.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
ss134
Brigadier General
ss134's Avatar
United Kingdom
177
Rep
3,901
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany/UK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMpunker View Post
All cars end up looking dated in one way or another.
I agree. Until I saw pics of the F8x M3/4 I never considered the E9x M3 to look dated at all. Now when I look at the E9x it looks like an old design to my eyes. I must say that Porsche are the masters of timeless design - every 911 produced in the 20 years still looks great. The key is that their evolution has been extremely slow aesthetically.
__________________
2014 AW F80 M3 DCT
2011 AW E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2010 JZB E90 M3 DCT - Sold
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
BlackCobra08
King Cobra
BlackCobra08's Avatar
73
Rep
437
Posts

Drives: GT4
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMpunker View Post
All cars end up looking dated in one way or another.
The Maclaren F1 still looks futuristic, to me anyways
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
ChrisMT79's Avatar
United_States
211
Rep
1,522
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Everywhere

iTrader: (6)

As with anything, it will look dated when it is. Because of the ever advancing technological era, the Fxx actually is already yesterday's news. But the mental state of thinking something is dated looking, falls partially impart with knowing there are newer models available, and then based on arcitchtural design and using lines/proportions, to create that "timeless" look.
So yes, it will be considered as dated eventually, but I think due to the dramatically wide rear/body lines, M3-M4 split, etc... It will hold its place as one of the memorable ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
dhoggm3
Major
dhoggm3's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
1,177
Posts

Drives: F80 E93SC M3, F430, 991 GTS
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA

iTrader: (1)

Yes.
__________________

Never leave a car completely stock!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
RocketBoots
Lieutenant Colonel
RocketBoots's Avatar
United_States
811
Rep
1,677
Posts

Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
I must say that Porsche are the masters of timeless design - every 911 produced in the 20 years still looks great...
I disagree. The 996 was hideous; the unloved Porsche. And today's 991, IMO, looks so much better than its predecessors. I honestly never liked Porsches of the 80's, but I really like the 991 and 997.

Now, I know this is totally biased, but to my eyes, all M3's look GREAT. Sure the E30 looks dated, but in a "I'd love to have that classic car" way.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
roadmax
Private First Class
3
Rep
138
Posts

Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (3)

Re

The new model will not hold up that long and will not turn heads as now old E30 M3 and E36 M3 do.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
khanyam4
Major
khanyam4's Avatar
Cambodia
182
Rep
1,077
Posts

Drives: 04 e46 m3,13 535i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Garden Grove, CA

iTrader: (0)

M3's in general age very well in my opinion, all m3 look good. In order of perference e46 m3, F82 M4, e92 m3, e30 m3, e36 m3.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #14
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
214
Rep
1,952
Posts

Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

The reason the newest M cars wont age well is because they no longer has the classic good looks that look great years after. Look at E46 cars in general, not just the M3. They still look great when i see them on the street. Todays 3/4 series and M3/M4 is trying too hard. The reason the new M3/M4 doesnt look good to me is because the car that its based off of, looks terrible. BMW ruined the 3/4 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #15
ufgtrs2007
dentite
ufgtrs2007's Avatar
33
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: '15 F80 M3, '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NC

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson
The reason the newest M cars wont age well is because they no longer has the classic good looks that look great years after. Look at E46 cars in general, not just the M3. They still look great when i see them on the street. Todays 3/4 series and M3/M4 is trying too hard. The reason the new M3/M4 doesnt look good to me is because the car that its based off of, looks terrible. BMW ruined the 3/4 series.
I completely agree. The current 3 series design, fit and finish, is terrible. The M3/M4 remedies this, but there is only so much the M division can do to the aesthetics
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 01:47 AM   #16
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
ChrisMT79's Avatar
United_States
211
Rep
1,522
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Everywhere

iTrader: (6)

For some reason I prefer this F80 M3 than I did the E90 when it came out.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2014, 02:05 AM   #17
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
10256
Rep
19,910
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
For some reason I prefer this F80 M3 than I did the E90 when it came out.
I don't think I will ever prefer the new generation over the old, but my excuse is that the old one was a dream for me. In a way, I had to (finally) grow up last spring, and as a distraction the image of that one worked perfectly.

To most posters cars are pieces of metal, to me they are memories. I link them heavily with a situation where I first saw them, and I always remember when I first drove them.

The former M3 will be the dream for me, but the grown up in me didn't allow to chase that more than for two months. The new one will be something else for me personally, but none the less the feelings will stay, just in different forms.

So to answer to the original question, No, this car will not age well, but it will do it with me, and by doing so, one time someone will remember the moment they saw their first M4, and maybe that will stick with them trough their life and they will be the ones continuing forums like these.

Sentimentality is a bitch as always.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 02:16 AM   #18
Alpine F31
Colonel
Alpine F31's Avatar
United_States
768
Rep
2,714
Posts

Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Your implication is that "dated" is bad.

This is the best looking BMW coupe EVER to my eyes, and it's "dated" as hell.

It's probably older than most of you posting, that would be my guess.

Oh, and to all the people that complain about the "lights touching the grill" and the "straight hood line" on some of the F series cars, learn your history! (Yes I know the straight hood line cut on the new cars is a pedestrian safety thing but still!)
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 4
      04-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #19
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
10256
Rep
19,910
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
Your implication is that "dated" is bad.

This is the best looking BMW coupe EVER to my eyes, and it's "dated" as hell.

It's probably older than most of you posting, that would be my guess.

Oh, and to all the people that complain about the "lights touching the grill" and the "straight hood line" on some of the F series cars, learn your history! (Yes I know the straight hood line cut on the new cars is a pedestrian safety thing but still!)
Maybe he ment that the car will look older than it's years. We old folks just have to learn to live with the tides of time, and allow our self the memory lane. Again, I really want a convertible Saab from the 90' (can't remember the model, and i sure as hell will not ask from the source of memories) and it would never be cause of the beauty of the car, it's just nasty now, then it was just awful.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #20
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
10256
Rep
19,910
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

The car you linked, it looks like business. I hated the old 5 series, but still it looked like trouble. It doesn't have to please you for your eyes to keep wandering to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 02:39 AM   #21
KevinM
Colonel
KevinM's Avatar
766
Rep
2,016
Posts

Drives: 2002 M5; 2007 M Coupe; 2016 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tucson

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [4.50]
2002 E39 M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

If you are hoping to buy an F8x (or any car) with the notion that "This is the one. I'm committing for life", well it's a nice fantasy, but it's going to wear off. You'll want the next great thing, or at best, if you really have some patience, the next great one after that.
While in general I agree with you, sometimes you do find the one(s)...in marriage or in cars! I guess I'm fortunate in both areas. After almost 10 years of ownership, my M5 is a keeper, as is the M coupe. (Hell, so is the car we've owned the longest, a Merc SUV of all things, but for different reasons!). I'm certainly looking forward to adding the F80 however.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #22
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
Wah's Avatar
United_States
2107
Rep
4,957
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
For some reason I prefer this F80 M3 than I did the E90 when it came out.
Agree. I never liked the E90 M3. Always thought it looked a little strange, like the front didn't match the rear. They did a much better job with F80, but I still wouldn't get it. I'm in the minority it seems.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST