European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

07-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #23
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Thanks for the pic feed. Next year if you get an invite, I will join you.

This post was written only to get the URL on the signature here also.

I'm gonna hold you to that!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #24
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

First post!

Went to this event on my birthday and had a great time. Recently I've been pretty smitten for the new F80 - especially in Silverstone. It has become my dream car which painfully I can't afford. Its also my first time in something thats RWD and over 300+ HP.

I signed up for the Car Control Clinic and was just expecting to drive just the F80 and its a nice surprise that I also got behind wheel of the M235i. BMW's website seemed to imply I was only going to drive either or but not both.

Aside from it being first time driving a machine like the M3, its also first time at a autocross/track type event. I wanted to someday take class at BMW's South Carolina branch but didn't have time/money. When the instructors at the event, many of them at that, gave a quick bio of themselves and were from the school, it just got me more pumped.

The day started at 9:00 AM and lasted until 4:30 PM. I don't know if anyone has taken BMW's course but we did things from slaloms, ABS tests, lane change and few other stuff. One sweet thing they had was something I never seen before. A 335i was fitted with some kind of sleeve on rear tires that gave it like 1% traction. The result was being able to make the back end of the car swing out at speeds of 10 MPH or less. The purpose of test was to simulate what to do and regain control should you skid for whatever reason. The instructor even demo'd how to do a drift around a cone somewhere between 5-10 MPH. What has science done?!

The instructors themselves were all awesome people. Lunch was provided and a handful of them sat with us to pretty much hang out. It surprised me how down to Earth they all were. Chatted up a storm on where we/they come from, motocycles, past driving experiences and even got complemented for having a Mazda3 lol.

Near end of day we pretty much learned to practice our hotlaps in the F80's. This lead to a team like relay race. The instructors acted as pit crew with one pointed where to stop and prepare the seat for next driver. Got timed on individual lap times but also overall team time. I thought I was going pretty fast only to find out I was rather "slow" at 33 seconds. Another visitor got 30 secs and also happened go to M Driving School.... I had no chance. Prize was simply bragging rights.

All the talk I saw about people being worried how this thing sounds is crazy talk. It sounded like a beast and I couldn't believe the car wasn't in full Sport+ mode. I glanced at the dash and noticed it only read: Efficient, Sport and Sport. The M235i also was no sleeper which I think has incredible leg room for a coupe but head room was really bad IMO and I'm 5'9".

I didn't take too many pictures as it was nothing you guys hadn't already seen before about the car. Still I provided some pics/video courtesy of my Galaxy Note 3. I also managed to get POV video from a headcam I had halfway through the day. I thought video wasn't allowed but once I saw the instructors didn't mind, I kept on rolling. Please forgive the raw video and any stupid things I may have said from my adrenaline rush.

Speaking of rolling, in one of the video's the car did get away from me as I'm stepping out. I'm not familiar with BMW's shifter but I guess I hit the gas a bit even though the instructor in the passenger seat pulled the hand brake (you can hear him pull it).

Last edited by Zeroblade; 07-22-2014 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #25
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I attended the Poconos Track Day event sponsored by BMWNA and my BMW center. The weather forecast looked a little iffy the night before, but it turned out to be a non-issue (for the morning session, at least). The day consisted of autocrossing in M5, M6, and M6GC, followed by runs behind a lead car on one of the road courses in 6 and 7 series (all versions). On the back straight, we were able to reach speeds of 110+mph... we were behind the leader, so he kept us in check. After we got tired of that, the pros took us out on hot laps in M5s and M6s on the same track where we hit close to 130mph on the back straight. All in all, it was a good day beating on someone else's car. I will say that the cars they brought were very odd choices for the track (760Li on a track?) but I am not complaining... Where else would I get to drive a land boat like I stole it? Also, if this event did anything, it made me absolutely certain that I would never buy an M6GC. Ever. @pillpusher84
We were up there on Saturday on our bikes and those cars were still in the Pocono parking lot. Guess they weren't in a hurry to move them.
      07-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #26
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RC51 View Post
We were up there on Saturday on our bikes and those cars were still in the Pocono parking lot. Guess they weren't in a hurry to move them.
Each "track day" is sponsored by a single dealership, so I'm guessing they have multiple days, each day for one dealership using the same cars.
Appreciate 0