Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
teapotc
Rep
Drives: M4

WTF? Trunk opened by itself?

2 weeks ago. At morning I saw parking plot, find out my f82 trunk was opened. I believed there is a thief, and f82 have some safety fail. But my dealer told me no recall or any report abt f82. And today, the trunk was opened again. I'm sure I just used my trunk at morning, and absolutely, I closed and car and trunk. And I used car at night. I did not use trunk . I just saw the trunk was opened again. I get to the car, close the trunk . And I just get far away the car use key to lock the car. The car has been locked. That's so strange. It's kind of automatic open trunk. And my key are secured after first time. Anyone has same experience?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
omgwtfbbqm4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4

Maybe you opened the trunk with the keyfob accidentally?

You can lock the trunk with the switch in the glovebox.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

It maybe you have keyless entry and are actually opening your trunk and not realizing it
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:40 AM   #4
teapotc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbqm4
Maybe you opened the trunk with the keyfob accidentally?

You can lock the trunk with the switch in the glovebox.
I secured keys. I have to hold trunk key for second for opening it. There is no chance I can do it by accident
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 04:36 AM   #5
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW M4

My trunk has magically opened on a number of occasions as I have stepped out of the vehicle and locked the door. Weird!

Last week I went back to the car and found the passenger side window fully opened. I reassured myself that I must have opened it myself, but I couldn't for the life of me remember doing it!

I suspect there is some glitch!
Appreciate 3
m3pilot25.00
deeldoo1122.00
      06-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Do you by any chance have an aftermarket diffuser? I was out with a forum member recently to hear an exhaust and he had a non-OEM diffuser on the car. The trunk intermittently opened on its own when we were outside of the car, with no foot waving around under bumper or key button pressed.

If all OEM, ensure you're not hitting the key fob while in your pocket inadvertently. I've done it before that just how you turn/ move/sit can hit a button unintentionally. good luck.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 2
arashir164.00
      06-29-2015, 07:16 AM   #7
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Happened to me the other day at work. Evidently I crouched or bent over just right to trigger the button on my key fob but I did not notice until I was outside moving some stuff. At first I thought my car had been broken in to...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #8
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Yah if its in ur pocket too tight the trunk release will get pressed its happened to me
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
Matt_B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapotc View Post
I secured keys. I have to hold trunk key for second for opening it. There is no chance I can do it by accident
Could a significant other or children have touched your remote?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #10
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Close the trunk and lock it from opening with the switch in the glove box. That's the only fix I have for you. Or stop putting people in your trunk
Appreciate 2
HotRodM4685.50
      06-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
teapotc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snawaz
My trunk has magically opened on a number of occasions as I have stepped out of the vehicle and locked the door. Weird!

Last week I went back to the car and found the passenger side window fully opened. I reassured myself that I must have opened it myself, but I couldn't for the life of me remember doing it!

I only know, hold key button 3 second could open both side window.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
teapotc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds
Do you by any chance have an aftermarket diffuser? I was out with a forum member recently to hear an exhaust and he had a non-OEM diffuser on the car. The trunk intermittently opened on its own when we were outside of the car, with no foot waving around under bumper or key button pressed.

If all OEM, ensure you're not hitting the key fob while in your pocket inadvertently. I've done it before that just how you turn/ move/sit can hit a button unintentionally. good luck.
Okay. I think that's point. I just removed exhaust tips, print and install them. But I don't think that matter. :
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
ECAM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snawaz

A family member of mine just had their 2015 328 bought back by BMW for this and they are providing a new identical car. After months at the dealer the couldn't figure it out, nasty glitch especially when it snows or rains. Good luck, hope it isn't the same problem. Fyi, the accused him of holding down the button, but that will trigger all windows, not just one.
      06-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Honestly, i've had this happen twice and I realized it was because I had my key fob in my right pocket and it simply pressed against the center console.

I have my m coded for my mirrors to fold in and out when using the fob lock/unlock and this too has happened when I press against the fob by mistake.

I have adapted my behavior. Keep key in door pocket or cup holder, problem solved

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 2015

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
To get my trunk to open with my foot I have to move it back and forth a lot to get it to work. This would be fun with an arm load of stuff. I wish my trunk opened with the remote with touch but it needs to be held down for a bit to get it to open. I guess that is to keep it from popping open while it is in the pocket. Hope all of mine is spelled right/. I guess you could take off the trunk lid and build a truck bed for the back. Then you would not to have to worry about it opening on its own.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I've had this happen a few times, and as others have mentioned, I believe it is due to the button being pressed inadvertently while the key is in my pocket. When I wear jeans, I typically stick the fob in the (otherwise completely obsolete in my opinion) small "change pocket" inside the right-hand front pocket. This is very convenient for ease of locking/unlock since the fob fits snuggly so I always know exactly where it will be. However, the risk is that it can get triggered by the lap belt in the car. I've found that if the trunk button gets pressed while the car is in motion, the trunk will open once the car comes to a stop. It's even happened once while I was stopped at a red light. Someone started honking at me, which I completely blew off until I noticed it a few seconds later after they'd driven away. Had a good laugh at myself for that one.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #17
teapotc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_B
Quote:
Originally Posted by teapotc View Post
Could a significant other or children have touched your remote?
i don't have child yet, and after first time experience. I did test open trunk button. I am sure there is no chance to open it by accident.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #18
teapotc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex
Honestly, i've had this happen twice and I realized it was because I had my key fob in my right pocket and it simply pressed against the center console.

I have my m coded for my mirrors to fold in and out when using the fob lock/unlock and this too has happened when I press against the fob by mistake.

I have adapted my behavior. Keep key in door pocket or cup holder, problem solved
Yeah. First time, I just wake up at morning, and I looked window. WTF, my trunk was opened. My key is in my shorts. I only had one cat at that moment, I used cat's pad to press the bottom. It's not possible to access. Cat's pad doesn't have weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #19
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Definitely Keyfob they have very strong signal, at hotel couple weeks ago 12 floors up got off elevator walked up to thick glass window looking down at car in parking lot car was about 30 spaces out from building in distance, was able to use all Keyfob functions perfectly!

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
teapotc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
I've had this happen a few times, and as others have mentioned, I believe it is due to the button being pressed inadvertently while the key is in my pocket. When I wear jeans, I typically stick the fob in the (otherwise completely obsolete in my opinion) small "change pocket" inside the right-hand front pocket. This is very convenient for ease of locking/unlock since the fob fits snuggly so I always know exactly where it will be. However, the risk is that it can get triggered by the lap belt in the car. I've found that if the trunk button gets pressed while the car is in motion, the trunk will open once the car comes to a stop. It's even happened once while I was stopped at a red light. Someone started honking at me, which I completely blew off until I noticed it a few seconds later after they'd driven away. Had a good laugh at myself for that one.
that's awkward. Most of time, when I get in the car. Key always get out of my pocket, sometime goes to seat, sometime goes to side of seat. When I closed door and tried to lock it. I just realize I don't have key. And I have to pretend lost documents in car.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #21
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Get some better fitting jeans lol; too tight. And don't put your cell phone in the same pocket.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #22
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan302 View Post
To get my trunk to open with my foot I have to move it back and forth a lot to get it to work. This would be fun with an arm load of stuff. I wish my trunk opened with the remote with touch but it needs to be held down for a bit to get it to open. I guess that is to keep it from popping open while it is in the pocket. Hope all of mine is spelled right/. I guess you could take off the trunk lid and build a truck bed for the back. Then you would not to have to worry about it opening on its own.
Are you waving your foot left and right? Or are you giving it a simple and quick kick forward and back? You should be standing about 1 foot back and give it a quick forward and back kick right in the middle just below the rear diffuser. It works for me 100% of the time. When I waved my foot left and right, it's very hard to make it work. Also doesn't work if you stand closer than 1 feet as it's a safety feature so the trunk lid doesn't hit you in the head when it opens.
Appreciate 0