Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

11-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #45
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by (((myzmak))) View Post

manuals are cool and chicks love 'em.
Because they think, "Now there's a guy who's used to taking care of himself."

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-24-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 4
      11-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #46
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
myzmak was right on prefer the throttle control of a manual, you're in control instead of the car. How many 4 doors sedan out there still offer a 6MT?

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #47
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
myzmak was right on prefer the throttle control of a manual, you're in control instead of the car. How many 4 doors sedan out there still offer a 6MT?
I'll have to admit that you guys lost me on the throttle control issue.

What does an MT have to do with throttle control?

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321113.50
      11-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #48
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

I think they mean "clutch modulation/control" Lol
      11-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #49
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
Quote:

It seems that at some point mostl MT vs AT threads evolve into instruction manuals for some somewhat unconvertional driving techniques.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-24-2017 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321113.50
BMWM5NYC496.00
      11-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #50
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
It seems that at some point mostl MT vs AT threads evolve into instruction manuals for some somewhat unconvertional driving techniques.
It's like the Christians vs Gays. Each side has some strange notion that if they keep making their point, the other side will agree and change. They won't
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #51
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
It's like the Christians vs Gays. Each side has some strange notion that if they keep making their point, the other side will agree and change. They won't
We all know which side drives MT
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #52
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't want or expect to change anyone's mind but some of the info posted in these threads is simply erroneous. What these threads sometimes reveal is that not only are there those who don't understand MT driving techniques there are also those who don't appear to understand the operation of a modern AT or DCT.

The ZF 8 Speed and the DCT are as far removed (and probably farther removed) from the two speed GM Powergilde and Ford Fordomatic dual range ATs of 50 years ago as a modern fully syncromesh, hill holding, auto rev matching MT is from the three on the tree with no synchomesh in 1st MTs of the same era.

Appreciate 2
CanAutM321113.50
BMWM5NYC496.00
      11-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #53
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
So...when the manuals are truly dead and gone on the M3/4, what do you think we'll use to convince other forum members that our choices are better than theirs?

a) AWD vs. RWD (if AWD is offered as an option)
b) 19" vs. 20" wheels
c) Hybrid M cars vs. traditional (assuming both are offered on the same M car)
d) My color is better than your color

If a and c are not available on the same car, it's going to get pretty dull around here...
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
jzmundy991.00
      11-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #54
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't want or expect to change anyone's mind but some of the info posted in these threads is simply erroneous. What these threads sometimes reveal is that not only are there those who don't understand MT driving techniques there are also those who don't appear to understand the operation of a modern AT or DCT.

The ZF 8 Speed and the DCT are as far removed (and probably farther removed) from the two speed GM Powergilde and Ford Fordomatic dual range ATs of 50 years ago as a modern fully syncromesh, hill holding, auto rev matching MT is from the three on the tree with no synchomesh in 1st MTs of the same era.
Actually, I would probably prefer a 2 speed powerglide

Here is what I HATE about automatics, especially in high torque cars like the M3 - they have a tendency to change down when they don't need to. Sometimes on a highway you just want to squeeze the throttle and use the torque to gradually gain speed - but many autos once you squeeze slightly too much, they chop down a gear or two, and I hate that. 6MT, I can guarantee it won't change down no matter how much throttle I apply...

And when I test drove the M4 with DCT, it did the same thing. In 7th I applied a little (maybe 10% gas) and it changed down when I felt it didn't need to. I hate that with a passion. First world problems I know.

Yes - I could drive in manual and the DCT wouldn't do that. But if I'm going to drive in manual 100% of the time, I'm going to drive in *real* manual 100% of the time, and get a manual gearbox.

Maybe just maybe the DCT would "learn" my driving over time, but I doubt it. To me, unless I give it 50% or more throttle, don't change down. Just pull away. If only they would, I might consider a DCT. But as they are now, they "behave the same as an auto" in the one area I hate the most about autos...
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #55
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
We all know which side drives MT
Sure do
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #56
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes the DCT is great but there is no feeling in the world like the raw power in your hands and feet. Regardless of the type of car I will always have a stick.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:40 PM   #57
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

The 6MT option is one big reason why many enthusiasts prefer a BMW. No matter your preference, it's disappointing to read an enthusiast magazine state that this car is better without the manual when it is the only car in its class that continues to offer one. A forceful argument for the continued availability of a 6MT would help those who want to save the manual IMO.
      11-25-2017, 12:01 AM   #58
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Is this your way of telling us something?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #59
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
- but I prefer the throttle control of a manual;
- with DCT it is too easy to treat throttle as on/off switch - manual forces you to modulate that better.
That, you'll have to explain to me ???

Quote:
- ever notice how 99% of the people who have complained about traction issues have been driving DCT?
That is more a question of gearing. 1st gear on the DCT is so crazy short that it is impossible to put the power down. Which means throttle modulation is evem more important with DCT. I've ranted about this more than once. It is the result of cost savings on BMW's part by giving us a "hand-me-down" transmission from the M5/6.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
myzmak2415.00
      11-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #60
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually, I would probably prefer a 2 speed powerglide

Here is what I HATE about automatics, especially in high torque cars like the M3 - they have a tendency to change down when they don't need to. Sometimes on a highway you just want to squeeze the throttle and use the torque to gradually gain speed - but many autos once you squeeze slightly too much, they chop down a gear or two, and I hate that. 6MT, I can guarantee it won't change down no matter how much throttle I apply...

And when I test drove the M4 with DCT, it did the same thing. In 7th I applied a little (maybe 10% gas) and it changed down when I felt it didn't need to. I hate that with a passion. First world problems I know.

Yes - I could drive in manual and the DCT wouldn't do that. But if I'm going to drive in manual 100% of the time, I'm going to drive in *real* manual 100% of the time, and get a manual gearbox.

Maybe just maybe the DCT would "learn" my driving over time, but I doubt it. To me, unless I give it 50% or more throttle, don't change down. Just pull away. If only they would, I might consider a DCT. But as they are now, they "behave the same as an auto" in the one area I hate the most about autos...
You are just making circular arguments to justify your point.

You enjoy traditional manuals. I fully respect that. It is an emotional choice.

But the argument made in this post does not make sense...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #61
MFore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
FAKE NEWS!

To repeat for the millionth time:

- I have no doubt the DCT is able to work very well with the engine;
- but I prefer the throttle control of a manual;
- ever notice how 99% of the people who have complained about traction issues have been driving DCT?
- with DCT it is too easy to treat throttle as on/off switch - manual forces you to modulate that better.

Plus manuals are cool and chicks love 'em.
Wait, if you have not had traction control issues with a manual you are doing something wrong. Tach it up past 6grand slam it into second and mash the gas. You Will have a traction issue. Wait. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?
Still waiting on validation of the “chicks dig it “ part.
      11-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #62
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Because they think, "Now there's a guy who's used to taking care of himself."
....as opposed to a dude who needs someone else to take care of his needs? yeah, i think chicks would prefer a guy who can take care of his own bidniss (ifyouknowwhati'msayin'...... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That, you'll have to explain to me ???

That is more a question of gearing. 1st gear on the DCT is so crazy short that it is impossible to put the power down. Which means throttle modulation is evem more important with DCT. I've ranted about this more than once. It is the result of cost savings on BMW's part by giving us a "hand-me-down" transmission from the M5/6.
yeah, so my point is not from a point of perfect driving technique or track mastery or anything like that, more just about spirited daily driving.

From my 100% unscientific poll based on random threads that i happened to read on here (so you know this is statistically sound as all fuck), a lot of the 'it breaks traction too easily' complaints tend to come from guys who just mash the pedal down hard when doing their stop light hero racing and expect the car to grip like 'no problem, mon' (the ole' on-off switch)

with a manual, while i appreciate you can do that, as MFore notes here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFore View Post
Wait, if you have not had traction control issues with a manual you are doing something wrong. Tach it up past 6grand slam it into second and mash the gas. You Will have a traction issue. Wait. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?
Still waiting on validation of the “chicks dig it “ part.
....the fact is, to get the same 'full throttle instantly' requires coordination with the left foot. And, sure, some guy who cares more about how to describe this will inevitably say 'but doesn't he mean clutch control?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
...yeah, like that...

but all i'm saying is that the act of applying throttle from a standing start in a manual just requires more coordination, and thus a little more deliberation rather than 'push right toes to floor'. That act of coordination will, most times, result in a bit more modulation - the few milliseconds most of us take to depress and release clutch in coordination with depressing throttle will result in a slight modulation of putting down the throttle and result in fewer traction issues.

can we just time it and mash it? sure. But to do that in an MT one has to try harder to mash it and break traction - it is easier and requires less effort in a DCT

so, with an MT most of us dont most mash it most of the time.

so, most of the time, MT drivers don't hit the traction issues that DCT drivers can hit in daily driving.

that's it.

not saying MT is better or worse (know what i prefer, but YMMV).

~myz out

(oh, yeah, plus chicks dig the manual. if you havent realized that, you must be doing something or most things wrong )
SakhirM410783.00
Biorin2784.50
      11-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #63
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Some quotes from the late racer and journalist Denise McCluggage that seem appropriate.

"Drive what you're in"

"If what you are doing isn't working try something else"

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude."

"Change is the only constant. Hanging on is the only sin."

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-25-2017 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #64
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
....as opposed to a dude who needs someone else to take care of his needs? yeah, i think chicks would prefer a guy who can take care of his own bidniss (ifyouknowwhati'msayin'...... )

yeah, so my point is not from a point of perfect driving technique or track mastery or anything like that, more just about spirited daily driving.

From my 100% unscientific poll based on random threads that i happened to read on here (so you know this is statistically sound as all fuck), a lot of the 'it breaks traction too easily' complaints tend to come from guys who just mash the pedal down hard when doing their stop light hero racing and expect the car to grip like 'no problem, mon' (the ole' on-off switch)

with a manual, while i appreciate you can do that, as MFore notes here

....the fact is, to get the same 'full throttle instantly' requires coordination with the left foot. And, sure, some guy who cares more about how to describe this will inevitably say 'but doesn't he mean clutch control?'

...yeah, like that...

but all i'm saying is that the act of applying throttle from a standing start in a manual just requires more coordination, and thus a little more deliberation rather than 'push right toes to floor'. That act of coordination will, most times, result in a bit more modulation - the few milliseconds most of us take to depress and release clutch in coordination with depressing throttle will result in a slight modulation of putting down the throttle and result in fewer traction issues.

can we just time it and mash it? sure. But to do that in an MT one has to try harder to mash it and break traction - it is easier and requires less effort in a DCT

so, with an MT most of us dont most mash it most of the time.

so, most of the time, MT drivers don't hit the traction issues that DCT drivers can hit in daily driving.

that's it.

not saying MT is better or worse (know what i prefer, but YMMV).

~myz out

(oh, yeah, plus chicks did the manual. if you havent realized that, you must be doing something or most things wrong )
Am chick. Have the manual. Can confirm
Appreciate 1
myzmak2415.00
      11-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #65
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
You are just making circular arguments to justify your point.

You enjoy traditional manuals. I fully respect that. It is an emotional choice.

But the argument made in this post does not make sense...
No - I'm not.

And yes - it makes perfect sense to me. Making sense to you isn't my primary concern.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #66
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No - I'm not.
You say there is no point in driving DCT in manual mode and you don't like how it behaves in automatic mode. This is a circular argument for self justification.

Like I said, I perfectly understand why people chose a traditional manual. And I see nothing wrong with that. However, people who seek to ridicule progress coming with the evolution of automatics (be it DCT or planetary autos), I don't get. Since this debate is emotional, there is no amount of rational that will be able to sway the outcome.

Quote:
And yes - it makes perfect sense to me. Making sense to you isn't my primary concern.
Sure, if you seek self justification, it does.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread