BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-26-2017, 04:52 AM   #1
Schuey
Enlisted Member
Schuey's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2017 F82 M4 CP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.K.

iTrader: (0)

DCT lurch/surge in first gear while in D mode

Hi Folks,

Hoping you can help me with an issue I seem to have developed on my 2017 M4 CP since this Friday after having the full 2017 software update done for the car taking it to integration level F020-17-11-521.

I never experienced this before pre-software update and my car is coming to a year old now with 5673 miles on the clock. I experience this surge/jerk only in 1st gear when driving in Auto mode D1 setting when revs are low between 1K - 1.5K. Just as I'm pulling off once moving at around 5-10mph it suddenly feels like a little jerk as if I've quickly dabbed the throttle again (but I haven't as I'm nice and smooth). I've given it a thorough test yesterday and I cannot replicate the issue in any of the following settings:

- Auto D2 or D3
- Manual mode, gearbox speeds 1, 2 or 3
- Manual mode S1, S2, S3

It only happens in 1st gear Auto mode D1 setting since the full 2017 software update. Does anyone else experience this or can share any feedback? It's one been 2 days since the update but it's ruining the driving experience for me. Could it be the car is learning my driving style again since the software update and will smooth out over the next few days or do you think there is a problem somewhere down the line? Thing is I never had any issues at all really pre software update so it all seems a bit of a coincidence. Plus as I cannot replicate issue in manual mode to me it suggests it's not a hardware issue

Many thanks in advance all, will appreciate any input.

Last edited by Schuey; 11-26-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
Groganrocket
First Lieutenant
22
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuey View Post
Hi Folks,

Hoping you can help me with an issue I seem to have developed on my 2017 M4 CP since this Friday after having the full 2017 software update done for the car taking it to integration level F020-17-11-521.

I never experienced this before pre-software update and my car is coming to a year old now with 5673 miles on the clock. I experience this surge/jerk only in 1st gear when driving in Auto mode D1 setting when revs are low between 1K - 1.5K. Just as I'm pulling off once moving at around 5-10mph it suddenly feels like a little jerk as if I've quickly dabbed the throttle again (but I haven't as I'm nice and smooth). I've given it a thorough test yesterday and I cannot replicate the issue in any of the following settings:

- Auto D2 or D3
- Manual mode, gearbox speeds 1, 2 or 3
- Manual mode S1, S2, S3

It only happens in 1st gear Auto mode D1 setting since the full 2017 software update. Does anyone else experience this or can share any feedback? It's one been 2 days since the update but it's ruining the driving experience for me. Could it be the car is learning my driving style again since the software update and will smooth out over the next few days or do you think there is a problem somewhere down the line? Thing is I never had any issues at all really pre software update so it all seems a bit of a coincidence. Plus as I cannot replicate issue in manual mode to me it suggests it's not a hardware issue

Many thanks in advance all, will appreciate any input.

Mine does this, itís normal from what my tech tells me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 12:23 AM   #3
batchelorc
Captain
batchelorc's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: Deez nuts
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Welcome to the club. Normal apparently.

Anyone have experience with Porsche PDK? Similar issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
LukeM15
Second Lieutenant
LukeM15's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: M3 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Look into the GTS flash. Since I got it Shifts are much smoother if there is any jerking is only when I’m not discipline enough with the gas pedal.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
6370
Rep
7,552
Posts

Drives: Mondstein F83
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuey View Post

I experience this surge/jerk only in 1st gear when driving in Auto mode D1 setting when revs are low between 1K - 1.5K.
It only happens in 1st gear Auto mode D1 setting
I'll skip over the "why in the World are you EVER driving in D1??" ...

Questions:

(1.) You say it happens in 1st gear - does that mean it's NOT shifting in to 2nd when the surge happens? I know the eco-modes try to get you to 7th as fast as possible ... if it is shifting to 2nd, that's why

(2.) Have you tried this in S1? i.e. all the same eco settings, but in S1 with the same throttle application - does it also happen in in 1st only? what happens when you shift to 2nd?

(3.) Have you tried S1, starting out in 2nd gear? What happens then?

I've got a 2015 that I picked up in 2014 - I'm going to try this as I have a 2018 on the way and it will be interesting to compare ...
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
Schuey
Enlisted Member
Schuey's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2017 F82 M4 CP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.K.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I'll skip over the "why in the World are you EVER driving in D1??" ...

Questions:

(1.) You say it happens in 1st gear - does that mean it's NOT shifting in to 2nd when the surge happens? I know the eco-modes try to get you to 7th as fast as possible ... if it is shifting to 2nd, that's why

(2.) Have you tried this in S1? i.e. all the same eco settings, but in S1 with the same throttle application - does it also happen in in 1st only? what happens when you shift to 2nd?

(3.) Have you tried S1, starting out in 2nd gear? What happens then?

I've got a 2015 that I picked up in 2014 - I'm going to try this as I have a 2018 on the way and it will be interesting to compare ...
Thanks for your feedback, very interesting. Answers to your questions:

1. Yes, the surge happens when it's NOT shifting to second, it happens just before and then half a second later it shifts up to second, very weird.

2. I haven't tried Auto setting in S1, will give that a go and report back. Good idea

3. Will try that also.

Regards to driving in Auto D1, mines a daily driver and unfortunately I sit in traffic quite a bit of the time. So Auto mode in these circumstances makes perfect sense.

On weekends however, spirited drives, then M2 button depressed which is set to manual S2. S3 seems to unsettle the backend sometimes which for UK weather it's not perfect

Thanks.
__________________
2017 BMW F82 M4 Competition Pack
=======================
2017 BMW F30 318d M Sport Auto
=======================
2016 BMW S1000RR Sport 199 bhp
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
Schuey
Enlisted Member
Schuey's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2017 F82 M4 CP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.K.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groganrocket View Post
Mine does this, itís normal from what my tech tells me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelorc View Post
Welcome to the club. Normal apparently.

Anyone have experience with Porsche PDK? Similar issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Look into the GTS flash. Since I got it Shifts are much smoother if there is any jerking is only when Iím not discipline enough with the gas pedal.
Thank for the feedback guys, looks like I'm not alone then here
__________________
2017 BMW F82 M4 Competition Pack
=======================
2017 BMW F30 318d M Sport Auto
=======================
2016 BMW S1000RR Sport 199 bhp
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #8
GrussGott
Major General
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
6370
Rep
7,552
Posts

Drives: Mondstein F83
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuey View Post

So Auto mode in these circumstances makes perfect sense.
It might make sense, but it's no fun

I sit in traffic quite a bit and my car is always in s3 full beans mode - I actually find traffic easier this way because the engine's vacuum (actually, it's the closed throttle) to slow the car in 1st or 2nd.

but I was just razzin ya
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #9
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
95
Rep
421
Posts

Drives: 2016 SO F82
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: california, irvine

iTrader: (1)

if you keep accelerating,(keep your foot in it), it will not lurch. Only does it if you let off the gas pedal ever so slightly.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #10
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
1058
Rep
8,239
Posts

Drives: E84 X135
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

I had a similar thing happen in my car. It was a March 2015 build and I didn't change the software

it seemed to happen when i was using very light throttle at those low speeds in D1 DCT setting.

I resolved the issue by commuting in M2 DCT setting, and more throttle
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #11
Drtsk
Private First Class
United_States
21
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: AY F82 & MCB F10 M5 & AW F86
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelorc View Post
Welcome to the club. Normal apparently.

Anyone have experience with Porsche PDK? Similar issues?
This has been a problem from the beginning with the DCT.
Much less noticeable or nonexistent on f10 M5.
Iím not sure of the 1series and 335is.
No such issue with pdk in 911, not sure about Macan or panamera.
Mine are 6MT and 7MT, but have extensive seat time in 911 pdk.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #12
///M4ster Yoda
Lieutenant Colonel
///M4ster Yoda's Avatar
724
Rep
1,652
Posts

Drives: '16 F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtsk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelorc View Post
Welcome to the club. Normal apparently.

Anyone have experience with Porsche PDK? Similar issues?
This has been a problem from the beginning with the DCT.
Much less noticeable or nonexistent on f10 M5.
Iím not sure of the 1series and 335is.
No such issue with pdk in 911, not sure about Macan or panamera.
Mine are 6MT and 7MT, but have extensive seat time in 911 pdk.
I had a 2011 335is with DCT before the F82. Never had this problem with that DCT.

This has been a known "issue" with this tranny since the beginning. Plenty of threads out there. It's a Sports+ throttle and Auto mode problem in 1st gear. OP needs to learn to modulate the throttle when using these settings.

Just drive in manual mode OP
__________________
'16 M4(Mine),'16 340(Wifey),'14 335(Gone),'11 335is(Gone),'11 335(Gone),'08 328(Gone),'04 325(Gone),'03 330(Gone)

1st ED Aug/Sept 2013 '14 335 - 2nd ED May/June 2015 '16 428i (Dad's Ride) - 3rd ED July/August 2016 '16 340 and '16 M4
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 03:22 AM   #13
two+2
Private First Class
Canada
36
Rep
194
Posts

Drives: F80 ZCP Grey Black
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Look into the GTS flash. Since I got it Shifts are much smoother if there is any jerking is only when Iím not discipline enough with the gas pedal.
This. Alex @ Alpine MS did my GTS DCT Flash. love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 04:00 AM   #14
kerm1t
Captain
58
Rep
752
Posts

Drives: 2017 MW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Just out of curiosity. For the people experiencing this, have you owned a manual car before the DCT? the descriptions sounds like the cars not shifting quick enough into second because the revs aren't high enough. This is completely normal. Also if you're not in d1, your revs will hold longer before it shifts
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #15
BwoodBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
BwoodBMW's Avatar
729
Rep
1,675
Posts

Drives: EFFEIGHTY
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA LA land

iTrader: (0)

My car lurches like crazy sometimes on slow launches almost completely independent of settings. Sometimes its fine and other times no matter how smooth I go its going to lurch (even in manual mode). Drives me nuts. Hopefully getting the software updated next week and we'll see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #16
BwoodBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
BwoodBMW's Avatar
729
Rep
1,675
Posts

Drives: EFFEIGHTY
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA LA land

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelorc View Post
Welcome to the club. Normal apparently.

Anyone have experience with Porsche PDK? Similar issues?
not in the slightest... people hate to hear it but the porsche pdk is a much better transmission. Super smooth if you want it to be but has zero problem ripping off incredibly fast and violent shifts if you are pushing it.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST