R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

11-29-2017, 04:08 PM   #1255
taint
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

pmooiweer thanks for all the work on this. Glad I found the changes for the MY18s. I was confused when I did it the old way and only got standard HBA! Still trying to figure out how to get those pesky amber side markers off. The threads I found are all for the F15 and I don't have the same options. I guess if that is all I have to deal with I can live.
      11-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #1256
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by taint View Post
pmooiweer thanks for all the work on this. Glad I found the changes for the MY18s. I was confused when I did it the old way and only got standard HBA! Still trying to figure out how to get those pesky amber side markers off. The threads I found are all for the F15 and I don't have the same options. I guess if that is all I have to deal with I can live.
You can easily remove three little amber lights with coding.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #1257
vp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 430GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
First put the attached XML file in the TokenMaster FDLcodes directory on your hard disk (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher Premium\FDLCodes) and remove the .PDF extension (file should have .XML extension).

To successfully code VLD and GFHB, follow the following steps:

1. Start E-Sys Launcher and select F080 Car Series.
2. Start the car (safer for coding and will prevent car shutting down in the middle of coding). Just make sure to not touch/code your DME ECU settings while the car is running.
3. Connect to your car, selecting F020 profile (TargetSelector: Project=F020_xxxxx, without “DIRECT”).
4. Select Coding view from Expert Mode menu.
5. Read FA from car.
6. Click on Save to save FA in a file on your hard disk (name it something like “FA - Factory Settings”).
7. Click Edit; display should change to FA-Editor, with SALAPA element in bottom left pane.
8. Drill into FA in top left pane, then into FZAuftrag and Type. Right-click SALAPA-Element and select Edit from the drop-down menu. Bottom left pane should populate with your current vehicle options.
9. In the bottom-left pane, remove the US headlight restrictions, i.e. 5AP (disable variable light distribution) and 8S4 (disable GFHB), then click the Apply Changes button in the top right of that same pane.
10. Save the edited FA as a new file, i.e. click File menu, Save As... and save to your hard disk (name it something like "FA - VLD and GFHB enabled").
11. To make sure you didn't make a mistake, right-click FA in the top left pane and select Calculate FP. Correct any errors. So far, all you've done is created a new FA file on your hard disk; no changes have been written to the car.
12. Select Expert Mode and click VCM.
13. In the bottom left pane, in the Vehicle Order panel, click ... and select the new FA file you just saved on your hard disk.
14. In the top left pane, right-click FA and select Calculate FP once more.
15. In the bottom left pane, you'll see 3 tabs: File, Master and Backup. Select Master.
16. Now write the new FA to the car by clicking the Write FA FP button in the bottom left pane. You've now updated your vehicle options for your car and need to reset default values for the affected ECUs.
17. Select Expert Mode and click Coding.
18. Once again, click Read to load the FA from your car.
19. Right-click FA and select Activate FA. You can now check the SALAPA element list to make sure it no longer includes 5AP and 8S4.
20. In the bottom right pane, click the Read SVT button to load the list of ECUs from your car.
21. In the bottom left pane, scroll down to the FEM_BODY ECU and click to select it. In the bottom right pane, click the Code button to VO Code that ECU, which basically sets the CAFD values for that ECU to the default values that you downloaded in PSdZDATA. Whatever you do, DO NOT CLICK Code Default Values; doing so will mess up your ECUs and will require recoding by your BMW dealer.
22. Do the same for the FLE[43], FLE[44] and KAFAS2 ECUs (i.e. for each, select the ECU and click Code button).
23. Now it's time to set the CAFD values for the FLE modules via FDL coding. To do so, scroll back up to the FLE[43] ECU and right-click the CAFD that has a green check mark. Click Read Coding Data, which should change the CAFD entry to a folder with a + sign.
24. Expand the FLE[43] CAFD folder, right click the CAFD entry within this folder and pick FDL Code. This should open the FDL editor for the FLE CAF. Assuming you placed my cheat code XML file in the right TokenMaster directory, you should see "Enable GFHB/antidazzle high beams - Euro Settings" in the top right pane.
25. Click the check box next to the cheat code and click the Review button (bottom right) to make sure it will change the right settings (the parameters on the left side, under FDL, should match the entries under Comments on the right). Assuming this looks good, click Close to close the pop-up.
26. Click the Apply button to apply the cheat code changes to the FLE CAF values. Wait until the text in the bottom right pane changes to confirm that you've applied the selected cheat code.
27. Click the Save button (top left; or pick Save from the File menu) to save the changed CAF settings to your hard disk.
28. Click the Return button (button with left-pointing arrow at the top left) to return to the Coding window.
29. In the bottom right pane click the Code FDL button to code the new FLE settings and write them to the car.
30. Repeat steps 24 through 29 for FLE[44].
31. Disconnect the car and shut it down. You can now use the Automatic High Beam button to enable GFHB.

Looks like a lot of steps, but it really is pretty easy. If at any point you want to go back to factory settings, repeat steps 1 thru 4, read the "FA - Factory Settings" file from your hard disk (which will reinsert 5AP and 8S4 vehicle options) and then repeat steps 11 thru 22.

You can always undo whatever coding you've done to your car. To undo FDL coding for any ECU, simply select that ECU in the Coding window and click the Code button to VO Code that ECU, which will set it back to the default values as specified in the PSdZDATA folder.
Would these steps work for a 2018 4 series?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #1258
taint
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
You can easily remove three little amber lights with coding.
I know I can. Just different for the FLE module and having some troubles finding it. Only done it with the TMS and prior. I'll just keep poking around.
      11-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #1259
M3LOLJK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Is there a way to enable the auto-leveling while retaining the adaptive LED lighting coding ? I lowered my car after coding the adaptive LEDs and was disappointed to realize the auto leveling function is disabled and my headlights are completely out of sync now.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 09:24 PM   #1260
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I know I can. Just different for the FLE module and having some troubles finding it. Only done it with the TMS and prior. I'll just keep poking around.
Settings are in 3004 and possibly 3005.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 09:26 PM   #1261
taint
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Settings are in 3004 and possibly 3005.
Thanks! I'll start there in the morning. Not sure why BMW has to keep changing stuff. Don't they know we all want to code our cars?!
      11-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #1262
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I'll start there in the morning. Not sure why BMW has to keep changing stuff. Don't they know we all want to code our cars?!
It is more complex and only need one ECU (FLE) to replace two (TMS/LHM). G-series gets newer and different FLM light modules.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 06:14 AM   #1263
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp View Post
They should work on an F82. Not sure about the other 4 series. I would think that it should work if you have the right set of options, including Adaptive LED headlights (should have “BMW Adaptive LED” embossed just above the sidemarkers) and KAFAS2 camera (e.g. for lane departure warning). I believe you’d need to have the Executive Package. If you do have those options you could add your series ID to my NGHB cheat code (currently only has F080 and F082). Also verify that the FLE CAFD ID in the file matches your FLE CAFD ID. Assuming it does, you could FDL Edit one of the FLE ECUs, check the box next to the cheat code and review the proposed changes. If they all map to the correct variables (variable names must match the names in the cheatsheet comments) you could give it a go. You can always go back to factory settings by VO coding.

Last edited by pmooiweer; 11-30-2017 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #1264
M3LOLJK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
They should work on an F82. Not sure about the other 4 series. I would think that it should work if you have the right set of options, including Adaptive LED headlights (should have “BMW Adaptive LED” embossed just above the sidemarkers) and KAFAS2 camera (e.g. for lane departure warning). I believe you’d need to have the Executive Package. If you do have those options you could add your series ID to my NGHB cheat code (currently only has F080 and F082). Also verify that the FLE CAFD ID in the file matches your FLE CAFD ID. Assuming it does, you could FDL Edit one of the FLE ECUs, check the box next to the cheat code and review the proposed changes. If they all map to the correct variables (variable names must match the names in the cheatsheet comments) you could give it a go. You can always go back to factory settings by VO coding.
Can you please explain how we can go back to factory settings via VO coding ? Trying to remove the Adaptive LED coding. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #1265
taint
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LOLJK View Post
Can you please explain how we can go back to factory settings via VO coding ? Trying to remove the Adaptive LED coding. Thanks!
Add 5AP and 8S4 back into your FA, write to car, code FEMBODY, FLE, and KAFAS2. Don't FDL code, but code the ECU itself. There are how-to guides on changing the FA that go through it. After that you should be back to stock. Any other FDL coding you did on those ECUs would have to be redone after VO coding.
      11-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #1266
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp View Post
Will not for for an LCI F3x.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #1267
M3LOLJK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Add 5AP and 8S4 back into your FA, write to car, code FEMBODY, FLE, and KAFAS2. Don't FDL code, but code the ECU itself. There are how-to guides on changing the FA that go through it. After that you should be back to stock. Any other FDL coding you did on those ECUs would have to be redone after VO coding.
So I was able to VO code back the 5AP and 8S4 + code the FEMBODY. However, FLE and KAFAS2 are no where to be found. I'm using the same exact computer that I used to code the LEDs. Any idea whats going on ?

Edit: So it looks like FLA3 is to be used in lieu of FLE & KAFAS2 if the two cannot be found, is that accurate ?

Last edited by M3LOLJK; 12-02-2017 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #1268
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So I was able to VO code back the 5AP and 8S4 + code the FEMBODY. However, FLE and KAFAS2 are no where to be found. I'm using the same exact computer that I used to code the LEDs. Any idea whats going on ?

Edit: So it looks like FLA3 is to be used in lieu of FLE & KAFAS2 if the two cannot be found, is that accurate ?
FLA or KAFAS is camera.
FLE X2 are driver/passenger light modules.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #1269
M3LOLJK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

FLA or KAFAS is camera.
FLE X2 are driver/passenger light
Ahh ok - is there any reason why I wouldn't have FLE ?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #1270
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Neither FLE are showing? Are you missing entire ECU or just CAFD?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #1271
M3LOLJK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Neither FLE are showing? Are you missing entire ECU or just CAFD?
Entire ECU is missing ? I coded FLA and FEMBODY back to default and it looks like it's working accordingly...how much I missed the auto leveling.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #1272
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Is there a way to enable the auto-leveling while retaining the adaptive LED lighting coding ? I lowered my car after coding the adaptive LEDs and was disappointed to realize the auto leveling function is disabled and my headlights are completely out of sync now.
Yes - you can manually raise the lights with a Phillips screwdriver or 6 mm hex the old fashioned way. Drive up to a wall at night and take note of how high your lights are (I use a brick wall so the different layers of bricks serve as a horizontal to gauge how level left and right are to each other). Auto-leveling still works, this just changes their "starting" position. In the mid-section of the top of the headlight housing behind the cooling fins you will see a white hex-screw (6 mm I believe) with Phillips '+ sign' in the base (I used this - gold ole' fashioned screwdriver). Turn clockwise for up and counter clockwise for down (I'm about 2.5 turns CW on both lights at stock height). BMW sets these lights VERY LOW from factory (maybe 25 feet of light on the LEDs). When you change the height set them to line up level with each other on the wall in park with parking brake on. Do not raise the passenger side light higher than the drivers light like you would on an older analog halogen light - when you are driving the stock programming of the lights will add a bit of extra height to the passenger light automagically to light up road signs. Drive around and test the height so you aren't blinding oncoming drivers. I was able to get quite a bit of usable distance from my low beams this way. Same with my last BMW. They just set them really low from factory, so can't imagine how low yours are with it lowered!

Read...no drive, the manual.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 12-03-2017 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #1273
Regulator07
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 2015 X3 35i

I am getting an error when I try to edit fdl. VO coding works fine with no errors but then when I try to edit fdl it gives me an error that says something along the lines of cant code. Is this related to choosing "read SVT" rather than "read ECU"? That's the only difference I can see from when I did coding before.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #1274
jimmydick
Boner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 AW ZCP

Could you elaborate on the error?

If your car is MY18, it could be that you are not using the proper cheat. MY18 requires different settings. If you are running a MY18 or older, ensure you are using the older cheat.

Also need to ensure you are running Esys 3.27 or newer. I had issues and moved to 3.28 and it addressed my issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator07 View Post
I am getting an error when I try to edit fdl. VO coding works fine with no errors but then when I try to edit fdl it gives me an error that says something along the lines of cant code. Is this related to choosing "read SVT" rather than "read ECU"? That's the only difference I can see from when I did coding before.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #1275
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Entire ECU is missing ? I coded FLA and FEMBODY back to default and it looks like it's working accordingly...how much I missed the auto leveling.
My only guess would be that you are not running engine or giving enough time to provide power/communication to all ECU's.

My next step would be scanning with ISTA+.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #1276
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator07 View Post
Read SVT pulls info from central VCM (Vehicle Configuration Management)
Read pulls individually from ECU's.

I would need to see exact error to comment more.
Appreciate 0