Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #221
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

After driving 6,000 miles, I am loving my 6MT more and more every day. The shifts are so precise and I have never missed a gear. When the shifter goes from the 1st into the 2nd gear, that feeling, ohh that feeling is a bliss. It's like sticking #&*@ into #*&#, the firm and satisfying sensation that lets me know that I have stuck it in is what I look forward to every day. It's what gets me up on time every morning and finish my work quickly so I can get off and drive my car.
      04-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #222
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
After driving 6,000 miles, I am loving my 6MT more and more every day. The shifts are so precise and I have never missed a gear. When the shifter goes from the 1st into the 2nd gear, that feeling, ohh that feeling is a bliss. It's like sticking #&*@ into #*&#, the firm and satisfying sensation that lets me know that I have stuck it in is what I look forward to every day. It's what gets me up on time every morning and finish my work quickly so I can get off and drive my car.
I can see why it gets you up every morning and finish work quickly.....you're having sex with your M3 2x daily

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 09:22 PM   #223
jwt2440
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 - 6MT Triple Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
I can't agree with you more. The manual transmission on this car is so spot on that I feel bad for anyone that ordered this car with the automatic. The ONLY issue I have with the manual is the auto rev function, BMW either needs to put it in every mode or no mode. Half of the time I can't remember if I picked M1 or M2 and if I have to blip the throttle or not.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #224
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt2440 View Post
I feel bad for anyone that ordered this car with the automatic.
That's a little extreme, first of all the "automatic" you are citing is actually a Dual Clutch Transmission that can be operated in both a Manual and a Automatic mode......but that debate is in another thread.

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #225
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
I feel bad for anyone who bought a modern car with last century's transmission.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #226
harrisch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
I feel bad for anyone who bought a modern car with last century's transmission.
we feel bad you'll never know what you're missing out on.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #227
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

I think I read here that sport + is the only way to turn off the auto rev match for the manual. If that is the case, does sport + require some other items to be on/off, or can you simply turn off the auto rev match alone?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #228
iamdabest1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 dct

Say what you want , if the car is a weekend car manual is great , if it's a long term car like 10+ years again manual . If it's short term or lease , DCT all the way. Faster , no problems in traffic and more potential buyers .
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #229
harrisch
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdabest1 View Post
Say what you want , if the car is a weekend car manual is great , if it's a long term car like 10+ years again manual . If it's short term or lease , DCT all the way. Faster , no problems in traffic and more potential buyers .

yes absolutely - no arguments there... im buying my m3 outright (torino just landed in NJ, hopefully get it sometime this week ) - i dont live in a city with horrendous traffic... and im not taking the car to the drag strip - just wanted the most engaging/fun drive - for some people that might be getting to speed .1s faster but for me its rowing my own.... then again, im also a guy who rides a new motorcycle with no ABS so maybe my opinions are just dated and irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #230
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
I think I read here that sport + is the only way to turn off the auto rev match for the manual. If that is the case, does sport + require some other items to be on/off, or can you simply turn off the auto rev match alone?
Correct, the Sport+ throttle setting is the only way to disable rev matching. The only thing that changes when moving to Sport+ for the throttle is more sensitive response with no rev matching. Suspension, traction control, etc. remain unaffected.
      04-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #231
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

my E90 manual was so notchy going from first to second I would have to say it was one of my only disappointments with that car (aside from lacking twist). Is the new manual light years ahead of the tranny it replaces, or did BMW stick another crude shifting manual in this latest M3?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 11:04 PM   #232
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
my E90 manual was so notchy going from first to second I would have to say it was one of my only disappointments with that car (aside from lacking twist). Is the new manual light years ahead of the tranny it replaces, or did BMW stick another crude shifting manual in this latest M3?
Light years!!!
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:39 AM   #233
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Light years!!!
Light years ahead of last Manual and light years behind M-DCT.

I think BMW blog describes this best in their "Modern Cars Need Modern Transmissions" article. http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/03/19/mo...transmissions/

Here is one of the best quotes from it

"Yes, manual transmissions will always be more “fun”, but when every other part of the car is so efficient and so high-tech, a manual can feel like the weakest link. With modern, turbocharged engines and different programmable modes for every part of the car, a manual seems a bit behind the times. It’d be like buying a brand new computer, loaded to the gills with the hottest tech and hooking it up to a CRT monitor."

To each his own i guess

Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 07:42 AM   #234
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
Light years ahead of last Manual and light years behind M-DCT.

I think BMW blog describes this best in their "Modern Cars Need Modern Transmissions" article. http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/03/19/mo...transmissions/

Here is one of the best quotes from it

"Yes, manual transmissions will always be more “fun”, but when every other part of the car is so efficient and so high-tech, a manual can feel like the weakest link. With modern, turbocharged engines and different programmable modes for every part of the car, a manual seems a bit behind the times. It’d be like buying a brand new computer, loaded to the gills with the hottest tech and hooking it up to a CRT monitor."

To each his own i guess
There is no doubt the DCT technically is a marvel of modern technology.
But what I'm thinking the most important point within this quote for most M enthusiasts is "yes, manual transmission will always be more "fun". So yes, agreed, to each his own.
      04-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #235
Matt_B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
There is no doubt the DCT technically is a marvel of modern technology.
But what I'm thinking the most important point within this quote for most M enthusiasts is "yes, manual transmission will always be more "fun". So yes, agreed, to each his own.
Absolutely this. How many of us are buying this car for the primary purpose of track duty? There are better choices for the money.

Buy whichever transmission you personally enjoy more, not the one that's a few tenths of a second faster. DCT and manual are both great options for this car. I don't know why people have to bicker and try to invalidate the choices of others.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #236
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
To each his own i guess
As mentioned in the article, "It’s akin to fans of Horology, who’d rather own a mechanical watch over a battery-powered one; less accurate timekeeping but more enjoyable experience to own."

I seem to prefer the old-fashioned approach with watches too.
      04-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #237
AndyLu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

I got a 6 speed. Haven't gotten the car yet but I know i'll love it. Driven the DCT I love that fact that it can just cruise around and not worrying about shifting. DCT can be really fun but i never remember what gear I'm in. Since I'm just flapping away.
Either way, whatever route people went with, it's not a wrong choice. This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #238
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Smile

My first new car, a 1969 Mercury Cougar, had a 4-spped manual. I have never owned a car with an automatic since. The 6MT in my M4 is the best I've ever driven. I like the short throws, the easy clutch, and the rev-matching on downshifts. I also like that I save $2900 by not getting DCT. The illumnated shift pattern on gearshift knob is a neat touch.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #239
Zubek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

6 Speed MT is really great ! As many of you guys said it's very precise and smooth at the same time I would say. Manual transmission in this car is all about fun in my opinion. It also gives a great revving possibilities and connects driver with the car in a very unique and different to DCT way.

On the other hand I would like to steal this thread a little bit and share some negative issue I am having with my MT. It rattles ..... especially when starting up in the 1st gear and pushing the throttle again to change into 2nd gear - only below 2500 rpm. Very annoying ! I visited my local dealer and they said it's normal. They checed the car twice and found nothing. This sound drives me nuts. I am going to another dealer to see if they are going to have the same opinion on that matter.

It seems like I'm not the only one here :
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1031884

I don't want to talk anybody out of choosing MT because as I said - it runs great. Maybe I'm just very unlucky and have some minor failure.

Here's the mp4 file with noise recorded. It's a triple start and stop procedure on the first gear. You can hear the rattle pretty well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip noise-2.mp4.zip (346.4 KB, 67 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #240
bigdog1250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubek View Post
6 Speed MT is really great ! As many of you guys said it's very precise and smooth at the same time I would say. Manual transmission in this car is all about fun in my opinion. It also gives a great revving possibilities and connects driver with the car in a very unique and different to DCT way.

On the other hand I would like to steal this thread a little bit and share some negative issue I am having with my MT. It rattles ..... especially when starting up in the 1st gear and pushing the throttle again to change into 2nd gear - only below 2500 rpm. Very annoying ! I visited my local dealer and they said it's normal. They checed the car twice and found nothing. This sound drives me nuts. I am going to another dealer to see if they are going to have the same opinion on that matter.

I don't want to talk anybody out of choosing MT because as I said - it runs great. Maybe I'm just very unlucky and have some minor failure.

Here's the mp4 file with noise recorded. It's a triple start and stop procedure on the first gear. You can hear the rattle pretty well.
That doesn't sound normal... mine does not rattle at all and almost no vibration through the stick.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #241
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
Correct, the Sport+ throttle setting is the only way to disable rev matching. The only thing that changes when moving to Sport+ for the throttle is more sensitive response with no rev matching. Suspension, traction control, etc. remain unaffected.
Hmmm, that does sound like a bit of a potential issue for me. I can't use the increased throttle sensitivity setting in the E92. It makes it harder to heel-toe which is exactly what I'd want to do when the auto rev match is disabled.

Anyone else not liking this feature or find some sort of work around?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #242
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubek View Post

Thanks for sharing....

Have you given the mp4 to the dealership? I think its time to talk to the BMW rep if your SA says that's normal. That is not normal!

Appreciate 0