Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #23
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

1st. Nice report. These are very valuable to the rest of us.

2nd. JB4 vs Dinan, you mentioned it more than once. These products are for different people. It seemed a bit defensive. Dinan is a great company.

3rd. "Enthusiasts who want a refined, complete package with no interest in starring in the next episode of warranty wars. I have absolutely no interest in dealing with shenanigans when I take the car in for service - removing tunes, sending my SA some wine and a couple hundreds each quarter, or any other headaches associated with modifying cars."
Whether you have Dinan or JB4 or whatever, BMW USA treats them the same. It isn't that you go to your BMW place for service and you have Dinan so they say, ok no problem but if you have JB4, well you are out of luck, sorry, we won't change your oil. Some dealers... if they see aftermarket, no matter what they close the hood and get all pissy, many dealer are not like this and with competition between multiple bmw dealers you will not see this (or you just go to the other and buy your cars through the others). I think though that Dinan has an excellent reputation so it may be you have a bit more leeway.

Some pics or vid would be nice.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #24
sgroer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 - YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnazzy View Post
1st. Nice report. These are very valuable to the rest of us.

2nd. JB4 vs Dinan, you mentioned it more than once. These products are for different people. It seemed a bit defensive. Dinan is a great company.

3rd. "Enthusiasts who want a refined, complete package with no interest in starring in the next episode of warranty wars. I have absolutely no interest in dealing with shenanigans when I take the car in for service - removing tunes, sending my SA some wine and a couple hundreds each quarter, or any other headaches associated with modifying cars."
Whether you have Dinan or JB4 or whatever, BMW USA treats them the same. It isn't that you go to your BMW place for service and you have Dinan so they say, ok no problem but if you have JB4, well you are out of luck, sorry, we won't change your oil. Some dealers... if they see aftermarket, no matter what they close the hood and get all pissy, many dealer are not like this and with competition between multiple bmw dealers you will not see this (or you just go to the other and buy your cars through the others). I think though that Dinan has an excellent reputation so it may be you have a bit more leeway.

Some pics or vid would be nice.
Didn't mean to be defensive at all. Different products for different folks. The Jb4 is impressive and the right choice for many folks. Much cheaper too. I can see how it'd be interpreted that way so I edited my OP a little to make it clear I'm not bashing one or the other.

I agree that in the eyes of BMW, all aftermarket is the same. I am admittedly very new to the BMW world and I am learning. I took the most conservative route I could find, while still getting the gains I wanted. It cost me more money but the car just feels damn buttoned up and polished... some of that is mechanical and some of that is psychological - either one is a huge plus.

Just spent about 2.5 hours in a hot garage getting most of the bavsound installed. All that's left are the rear panels. I think I need another hour to get that done. I'm excited to hear the difference.

Also, in regards to the scraping, yeah - I am worried even with a very mild drop I will scrape that beautiful front lip. I hadn't scraped it prior and have driven the car with the new suspension only a little. I'm sure it will happen.

Thanks all for the comments. I'm new to this forum and doing what I can to contribute. I think I'll be here a while. This car ROCKS!!

Sean
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:46 PM   #25
yaymitch
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Thanks for the review, very helpful. I've had experience with Dinan and the BMW dealers I use are supportive of it and I've never had issues. Also, do you have the adaptive or passive suspension? I saw you mentioned driving in sport+ but just wanted to make sure.
      07-20-2015, 11:48 PM   #26
sgroer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
I wish folks would at least stop with the b.s about di and superior smoothness and drivability. I've had 2 piggy and both had stock smoothnes.

You paid more for minimal improvements with your own money for your own reasons so who cares about what folks think I agree
I admittedly have nothing to compare it to. maybe they are all smooth, I have no idea.

Just noting that the power delivery felt great - linear, smooth, easy to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #27
sgroer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Thanks for the review, very helpful. I've had experience with Dinan and the BMW dealers I use are supportive of it and I've never had issues. Also, do you have the adaptive or passive suspension? I saw you mentioned driving in sport+ but just wanted to make sure.
Adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:57 PM   #28
yaymitch
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroer View Post
Adaptive suspension.
Cool, so assuming since Dinan uses the stock shocks this does not affect the EDC. Do you still notice the different feel of all three suspension choices?
      07-21-2015, 12:17 AM   #29
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Thanks for the review. I plan on upgrading to the Stage 2 soon. I'm undecided on the intake and exhaust as of now.

Unfortunately, every Dinan thread seems to bring out the JB4 know-it-alls preaching down from their pedestals. Yes, we get it, your tune is more powerful.

I, for one, sleep better at night knowing I have a tune with a warranty. I could care less if it's not as powerful. I've had my M4 for almost a year and it's been in for service 6 times at the dealer. That's six times I didn't have to take a JB4 off and play the cat and mouse game with them. What's more, my BMW dealer is my Dinan dealer also, so it's nice to be able to do Dinan installs when it's in for normal service.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889

Last edited by MaynardZed; 07-22-2015 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #30
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Great honest review.
Its these reviews that really help support other Dinan enthusiasts that enjoy their products.
Dinan's tune and products work very well.
Congrats !
Now some pics lol
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #31
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Nice review.

I am currently running Dinan S1 with a Dinan muffler. If you want a bit more volume and a more aggressive growl, I would suggest adding some mid-pipes to your setup. I have the Supersprint pipes, which omit the secondary cats and resonator (did not mess with stock downpipes)... and really like the sound.

Congrats on the car, and nice mods!
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #32
carbon//m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamorindaF80 View Post
Nice review.

I am currently running Dinan S1 with a Dinan muffler. If you want a bit more volume and a more aggressive growl, I would suggest adding some mid-pipes to your setup. I have the Supersprint pipes, which omit the secondary cats and resonator (did not mess with stock downpipes)... and really like the sound.

Congrats on the car, and nice mods!
Sound clip?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #33
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Thanks for the review. I don't blame you for getting the Dinan exhaust. It may not be the 'best', but that's quite a package.

You have a lot of Dinan things; please keep us updated if anything needs warranty service. I'd love to know how Dinan handles issues on their current offerings. This goes for all of you guys running Dinan tunes
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #34
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Thanks for the review. I don't blame you for getting the Dinan exhaust. It may not be the 'best', but that's quite a package.

You have a lot of Dinan things; please keep us updated if anything needs warranty service. I'd love to know how Dinan handles issues on their current offerings. This goes for all of you guys running Dinan tunes
Being an independent shop Dinan dealer, my clients utilize 3 different BMW dealerships in Southern California in the area and none of them have any issues with warranty service
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #35
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
I think it depends on the BMW dealer you go to. If they are a certified Dinan dealer/installer, then they would more than likely honor it. If they are not, it may depend on the type of issue and whether or not the modification is directly related to the issue at claim.

I'm with sgroer on the hassle free warranty. I'm a little younger, but considering Dinan for much the same reasons. Don't get me wrong. I love working on cars. Owned a Steeda GT Supercharged, Mitsu Evo 8 and Camaro Z28 prior. Back then I had a large garage and did all my own mods and would return my car to stock should I need to take it in for a warranty claim. The dealers never gave me a hassle and fixed issues accordingly.

Now I'm living in a loft in the city and don't have access to the tools or garage space to allow me to modify and return a car to stock easily. That's were something like the Dinan package comes in.

Oh, and great write up btw! I enjoyed the insight.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #36
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Didn't mean to be defensive at all. Different products for different folks. The Jb4 is impressive and the right choice for many folks. Much cheaper too. I can see how it'd be interpreted that way so I edited my OP a little to make it clear I'm not bashing one or the other.

I agree that in the eyes of BMW, all aftermarket is the same. I am admittedly very new to the BMW world and I am learning. I took the most conservative route I could find, while still getting the gains I wanted. It cost me more money but the car just feels damn buttoned up and polished... some of that is mechanical and some of that is psychological - either one is a huge plus.

Just spent about 2.5 hours in a hot garage getting most of the bavsound installed. All that's left are the rear panels. I think I need another hour to get that done. I'm excited to hear the difference.

Also, in regards to the scraping, yeah - I am worried even with a very mild drop I will scrape that beautiful front lip. I hadn't scraped it prior and have driven the car with the new suspension only a little. I'm sure it will happen.

Thanks all for the comments. I'm new to this forum and doing what I can to contribute. I think I'll be here a while. This car ROCKS!!

Sean
Ive wanted to pull the Bavsound trigger but needed an installer. What do you charge?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #37
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Exclamation

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #38
XPNY
M4 Redliner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Silverstone/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroer
Let me start by saying that i know there are Dinan haters out there - that say you don't get a bang for the buck, the tunes are weak, the exhausts are anemic, and it's all marketing.

I'm getting old. (39). Life is getting more complex by the day with kids and a wife and dogs, house, boat, job, etc, etc, etc. I believe I am the target demographic for Dinan. Enthusiasts who want a refined, complete package with no interest in starring in the next episode of warranty wars. I have absolutely no interest in dealing with shenanigans when I take the car in for service - removing tunes, sending my SA some wine and a couple hundreds each quarter, or any other headaches associated with modifying cars.

As background, I've modified every car I've ever owned in some form or fashion - from a heavily modified Passat 1.8T, to a couple Audis (V10 S6, B8.5 S4), to a 2014 911 Carrera S, and then a 2014 911 GT3. Modifying cars is fun and a passion, but almost always, there's an issue somewhere along the line -

This is the first time i've ever done something like this - drop the car off, and get it back with everything I plan to do to it already done, in one fell swoop.

So - on to the review.

First - What was I hoping for: More power, better sound, less squat and dive, and better traction. I'll review each component one by one:

1) Suspension - Extremely comfortable - found myself still very much enjoying Sport+ suspension setting and the car is not as bouncy as OEM. Not once did I notice the suspension being uncomfortable. Handling is much better, body roll is reduced and the car feels more controlled and neutral. It is omewhat firmer, but not at all uncomfortable. It feels like the car gets the power down to the pavement much better than before. I am absolutely thrilled with the suspension - a perfect balance between performance and comfort. And due to it helping with the car control, I highly recommend getting it (or some other) along with the other stuff. I went with an extremely mild .5 inch drop to maintain ride quality and easy to navigate, non scraping DD attributes.

2) Intake - No idea in terms of performance gain, but the sound is awesome. Not intrusive when coasting around, but that air sucking sound and turbo spool when you are on it is definitely there. It's a background sound, as it should be but it makes you smile, IMO a perfect sound level. The fit and finish of the CF intake in the engine bay is top shelf - it looks AWESOME installed.

3) Exhaust - It's OK. Overall pleased with it. But it's probably the one mild disappointment of the setup. Sounds better, has a really good low growl on decel / coasting. Sounds great at idle, lawn mower sound is gone gone gone. At WOT as the car winds up, it's frickin impressive. I just wish it was a little louder and more aggressive. At the same time, i am not a teenager and I totally appreciate that it's a more reserved but aggressive option. I love the sound, just wish there was a little more of it. Something tells me I would have liked the AWE better and I knew that before I went the Dinan route, but I really wanted the full Dinan package for reasons stated above.

4) Tune - There are many who say JB4 is awesome and the obvious choice (for many it is) and others say that Dinan is weenie, and a waste. The car is an animal. Pulls like a bull on steroids, shot in the ass with a dart with its horns on fire. Midrange pull is much more intense and the engine is more alive and alert. It's not more difficult to control at all. Still super easy to drive, but the horsepower headroom when you want it is really stunning. Turbo lag is reduced, the car pulls all the way to redline and doesn't let off. I cannot believe the power. I am so happy with the Stage 2 tune. Very linear and smooth in power delivery, and just miles better than OEM in every way.

So overall, I am absolutely thrilled - to the moon and back. I had already said that the M4 is my favorite of every car I've ever owned. I couldn't imagine significant improvements. And on other cars, with every mod I've ever done, I've found that there is a downside. I can honestly say that other than the roughly $10K lighter my bank account is - there are no downsides. It's perfect. Incredible. And I am one really happy Dinan customer!!!

Pics coming...

Mods thus far (in under 900 miles!)
Vorsteiner V-FF 103
Bavsound
M- Performance - Splitters, front lip, carbon mirror caps, side skirts, rear diffuser (chinese E-bay), rear spoiler
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan intake
Dinan Stage 2 tune
Dinan "Coilover" suspension

The car is really coming together!

Sean
Talk to me about this bav sound. Is it worth it? Did you have the upgraded sound to begin with?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 10:29 PM   #39
sgroer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Ive wanted to pull the Bavsound trigger but needed an installer. What do you charge?
My fee is 6 beers... It took me about 3 hours and is much simpler than you think. I could do it in 2 the second time around.

The upgrade is definitely worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 10:29 PM   #40
sgroer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPNY View Post
Talk to me about this bav sound. Is it worth it? Did you have the upgraded sound to begin with?
I have HK sound - Bavsound is a replacement of all the speakers. The sound difference is pretty striking.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #41
sgroer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
Sorry - I've been distracted... I bought this today to go with my M4

Appreciate 6
      07-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #42
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

^^^Why must you do this to me?!?!?
      07-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #43
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Sorry - I've been distracted... I bought this today to go with my M4

WOW...seriously!
      07-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #44
XPNY
M4 Redliner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Silverstone/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroer
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPNY View Post
I have HK sound - Bavsound is a replacement of all the speakers. The sound difference is pretty striking.
Pretty striking? Is it worth it? Is it a big difference?
Appreciate 0