GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-18-2021, 09:32 PM   #23
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I love how ppl buy an M3 and want it to be a luxury car. No wonder all these manufacturers completely remove any engagement from these cars.

I daily drove my M3 in NYC and it was never an issue but i like mechanical and raw feeling lol. Learn how to drive DCT and it will be smoother or just get the new G80 with Automatic.
Appreciate 4
m34m697.00
HotRodM4694.00
      05-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #24
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
If you think the F80/82 with DCT is hard/trash to drive in Toronto, go get a E46 M3 with SMG. You will never speak ill of the F8X DCT again!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 01:41 PM   #25
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

I agree that these cars are trash on bad roads (pot holes) and the types of roads that bend our wheels. I'm northwest Chicagoland and couldn't imagine daily driving my m3. I have an Acura MDX hybrid as a daily.
      05-19-2021, 01:59 PM   #26
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
I love how ppl buy an M3 and want it to be a luxury car. No wonder all these manufacturers completely remove any engagement from these cars.

I daily drove my M3 in NYC and it was never an issue but i like mechanical and raw feeling lol. Learn how to drive DCT and it will be smoother or just get the new G80 with Automatic.
I agree that when I get an M, I want it to be biased for performance. The problem is that it sucks at both. Plenty of cars out there doing both better than the F8X did.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:01 PM   #27
FrznM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I agree that when I get an M, I want it to be biased for performance. The problem is that it sucks at both. Plenty of cars out there doing both better than the F8X did.
Like what cars? Hopefully you're thinking of cars at the same price point here or else it's not really a valid comparison.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #28
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamirani View Post
Like what cars? Hopefully you're thinking of cars at the same price point here or else it's not really a valid comparison.
The new Supra is one.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #29
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
The new Supra is one.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #30
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
Suspension - not power.

C7 Z06 is the same base price as the M4 Competition, cheaper than the M4CS.

There aren't a lot of cars that will even touch the C7Z06 on the track and it drove a lot better on the street as well. Mag-ride is amazing.

The C7Z06 would torch my 21' R8 on the track but the R8 is incredible on public roads but with a 100% mark up compared to the Vette.

I loved my C7Z and M4CS equally for different reasons but BMW messed up big time by not pairing the amazing chassis of the f8x with a good suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #31
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
The C7Z06 would torch my 21' R8 on the track but the R8 is incredible on public roads but with a 100% mark up compared to the Vette.
Whoa, are we talking a RWD '21?? Need some more insights if so... On topic enough. R8's are perfect for Toronto.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 04:31 PM   #32
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
The new Supra is one.
You're on crack man.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17682.00
HotRodM4694.00
      05-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #33
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Supra is garbage - i test drove it. Horrible ergonomics, seating position is compromised. Driving inputs are strange - light steering even in Sport mode, brake pedal is soft. Auto trans is slower than DCT.
Plus it has zero usability compared to M3/4.
Appreciate 2
m34m697.00
NickyC17682.00
      05-19-2021, 05:05 PM   #34
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

Such a great comment. What else is there to say? He blames the car not this shit city with shit roads. Buddy get another car that coddles you but please don't be a part of the problem that leads to manufacturers making spayed and neutered shit boxes. Maybe if the title of the thread wasn't "car is trash….." it might be a little less annoying.
Appreciate 2
65fastback1138.00
TideMD291.50
      05-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #35
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Quote:

Such a great comment. What else is there to say? He blames the car not this shit city with shit roads. Buddy get another car that coddles you but please don't be a part of the problem that leads to manufacturers making spayed and neutered shit boxes. Maybe if the title of the thread wasn't "car is trash….." it might be a little less annoying.
Never blamed the car, i asked if there are any changes that can be done as i went from living in suburbia to a 30 km/h first gear burnout roads.

The issue isn't the roads or suspension, the issue is i can't drive it fast enough to warm up any components, i don't want to be the guy redlining first 14 times in a row in a congested road to get the car up to speed.

I love the car, all i am saying is the whole "this car is the best dual duty" shit needs to stop. This car is not a dual duty car, it's far closer to a flat out track car than it is to the middle of the spectrum and i have realized that moving to a place where driving at low speeds with plenty of start stop, tight turns, etc are in order.

Seeing as i can live with it i much prefer it this way i was just wondering if anyone had any great ideas on how to get the dct and diff to get up to temps.

For anyone out there dct in S3 is actually smoother in a cold start and in city roads than S1 and S2. S1 and S2 are incredibly clunky. As for getting rid of the raspy exhaust note.

I was able to do it in the suburbs as i can go WOT but in the city it's impossible so i have to live with the diesel like sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #36
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Never blamed the car, i asked if there are any changes that can be done as i went from living in suburbia to a 30 km/h first gear burnout roads.

The issue isn't the roads or suspension, the issue is i can't drive it fast enough to warm up any components, i don't want to be the guy redlining first 14 times in a row in a congested road to get the car up to speed.

I love the car, all i am saying is the whole "this car is the best dual duty" shit needs to stop. This car is not a dual duty car, it's far closer to a flat out track car than it is to the middle of the spectrum and i have realized that moving to a place where driving at low speeds with plenty of start stop, tight turns, etc are in order.

Seeing as i can live with it i much prefer it this way i was just wondering if anyone had any great ideas on how to get the dct and diff to get up to temps.

For anyone out there dct in S3 is actually smoother in a cold start and in city roads than S1 and S2. S1 and S2 are incredibly clunky. As for getting rid of the raspy exhaust note.

I was able to do it in the suburbs as i can go WOT but in the city it's impossible so i have to live with the diesel like sound.
If you need to drive it slow just drive it slow and stop fussing about the sound? Revving the shit out for a short of it just because of a few inconsequential noises is silly.
If I'm just driving it a short distance in town I just leave it in D1 and efficient mode, it seems smooth enough for me. Not really getting why you have trouble with tight turns and stop start.
Maybe get a Mazda 3 or something where this kind of use is its primary purpose if you don't want the compromise of a sports car.

Or even a 340i/440i? I mean literally everything done to an M car over and above the 340i/440i is with the purpose of making it more track capable, so if you don't want sports car compromises but like everything about the car, the non-M versions are basically perfect for your uses.

Seems like you have some OCD over a few noises the car makes :/

Also I see you have a 2016... maybe a software update will help? I recall D1 being a bit shit on my 2015 initially and I used D2 for regular driving, it's better since getting the 2020 software.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #37
petar7408
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

i didnt test drive the last 2 m3's I bought with any intent of how it felt. I got the m3 and I could care less how it feels. I know when I step on it and take sharp fast turns that I get the reaction I want. However bumpy it is is not a problem, I'm just happy to get in it every single time I drive it
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:04 PM   #38
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
I just moved from a suburb into deep downtown toronto.

So far i have taken out my M4 several times and it is hard to get this car operating like before, it is clunky, feels mechanical, 0 smoothness, all sort of weird noises etc.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? Even when i get the oil to operating temps, the diff, tranny and everything else feels like a bag of dicks.
If putting everything in comfort doesn't work for you, get a faux ///M (like a 340i) or the new G8x. Those will feel better for your roads and driving preferences.
      05-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #39
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Yeah it's also absolutely garbage at traveling across water I don't know what you expect, it's not a damn boat
Appreciate 2
deeldoo1123.50
six75LT918.00
      05-19-2021, 07:21 PM   #40
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenChod View Post
Quote:
I just moved from a suburb into deep downtown toronto.

So far i have taken out my M4 several times and it is hard to get this car operating like before, it is clunky, feels mechanical, 0 smoothness, all sort of weird noises etc.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? Even when i get the oil to operating temps, the diff, tranny and everything else feels like a bag of dicks.
If putting everything in comfort doesn't work for you, get a faux ///M (like a 340i) or the new G8x. Those will feel better for your roads and driving preferences.
Drove one, it's even worse.

I mean all cars are going to suck on these roads i am just saying the M4 seems to multiply in driveline thumping, noises, and overall feels very "dead" or "asleep".

Maybe i just phrased it wrong, what i notice is very dull throttle response, lazy trans, lazy diff.

Car is basically asleep.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #41
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
That's typical New Jersey Craters
Having grown up in Somerset County, I don't remember the roads being quite as bad as out here in some parts of the Bay. The worst roads I've ever encountered in the US have to be in Oakland - both in design and condition. The conditions are undoubtedly harsher on the East Coast but the roads here are just straight up not maintained or fixed... like ever
I too live in Somerset county and the road are great and they keep the upkeep. Cant say much for Morris or essesex Or middlesex county's as those road you need to replace a tire or rim if your lucky.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 08:53 PM   #42
kumkeet
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Dakar Yellow II

Even with 20" rims, i think this car's suspension is really very compliant. What's there to complain about? Fast cars need to have firmer suspension. Go try an FD2R. Now that's an under-powered car with rock hard suspension. But yet enthusiasts love it.... cos it goes fast! M cars supposed to be for enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 11:08 PM   #43
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
The new Supra is one.

Think of the Supra as a Z4 coupe restyled by Toyota. It's a LOT more a BMW than a Toyota.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #44
summilux
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 MG & 6MT

Quote:

Maybe i just phrased it wrong, what i notice is very dull throttle response, lazy trans, lazy diff.

Car is basically asleep.
When I read this, my first thought was "Are we even driving the same car?". My second thought is "Compared to what?"

F8x is not perfect. No car is. Maybe a Raptor would be your ideal?
Appreciate 0